Best S/W for Backing Up to DVD/CD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pvsurfer, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I'd be grateful to learn of an elegant backup solution that's best suited to a laptop with one Hard Drive and a DVD/CD burner. I realize that lots of backup programs can do the job, but I want one that 'smartly' facilitates multiple DVD-backups.

I recently tried Willow's Backup to DVD/CD Made Simple, but I found it to be anything but simple! During the restore process, it doesn't recognize that your backup set consists of multiple disks, and even when you 'tell' it that there are additional disks, it requires an excessive number of 'disk-swaps' - making the process very cumbersome!

Thanks for any help.

2. Reggie

Reggie Guest

I was faced with a similar decision for backing up my notebook... I decided that even though DVDs hold about 4x that of CDs, I would still have to be a disk-jockey using DVDs for backing up! So I bought an external USB hard drive and for software I use Cyberlink's PowerBackup (which I highly recommend regardless as to whether you use DVD media or HDD)... ;)

PowerBackup 2: http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_29_ENU.html

Hth... Reggie

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Reggie~ Thanks for the feedback. I understand where you're coming from, but considering my use of a laptop, I believe DVDs are the perfect backup media (for me). However, I will download the PowerBackup trial and check it out.

Thanks again for your advice. ~pv

4. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

Try acronis true image....to put a back up image onto dvd's you need to use a third party packet writing software like nero or roxio, but many people on the acronis forum seem to be happily backing up onto dvd's. I store my back up images on an external hard drive which is easier.

5. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.