Best Realtime Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mars, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

@Eebox

You use Norton (cough) AND Nod32 on the same box?

How are you managing to run AVG AS on Vista?

2. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Prevx1 review summary:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2084578,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K0000530

The Prevx1 site lists this as their best review? It looks terrible to me! o_O

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I think, AntiVir anti-virus....and my WinPatrol Plus..:D ...partners w my passive system hardening, windows firewall, SpywareBlaster, and etc....

I "dismantled" my other "real-time" protections, as it only hogging my system making it slow to respond. o_O :blink: So far, I still felt safe and secure, and of course my pc is now faster than b4..;)

4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I'm triying out Blink Neighborhood Watch, and although I haven't seen it tested it seems pretty good so far for RealTime Protection. I use it along with AVG AV.

5. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

The ST Guard looks quite good,so right now I'm trying to decide which to go with NOD32......
    ST,Cyberhawk,or Prevx. HELP o_O :D

6. duke1959

I'm right there with you daddymo3. Trying out Blink Neighborhood watch to pacify myself until I decide what protection to use for malware, but now thinking about maybe keeping it for awhile as it's kind of cool. I stand my my Antivirus choice however, of AVG 7.5 Pro. It has timely updates, is low on resources, and never conflicts with other programs. I realize it isn't Antivir, Nod, or Kaspersky at this point, but hopefully it has improved. As I said it's the other programs that I have trouble deciding on. I liked the combination of Arovax Shield and Cyberhawk, as my PC was fast and they covered many things between them. The thing I couldn't decide on though, was to use either that combo with Windows Firewall, or Spyware Terminator and Zone Alarm Free 4.5.594. I am behind a Router so the FW isn't that important to me, but I feel it is more needed with ST than AS and CH. I just miss the GUI of Spyware Terminator and the idea of having some extra Trojan signature protection even though I use Firefox. I have thought about Prevx, and have tried it in the past and liked it, but I did read where after detecting a false positive the person had to contact Prevx so they wouldn't have to pay for it. I know this didn't help much, but at least you know your not alone. LOL.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  7. guest

guest Guest

For me Cyberhawk only requires 8 MB of RAM Excelent Software and excelent detection

8. duke1959

guest, are you sure it's only at 8MB? There are two processes and when it was on my PC one was around 8MB, and the other one was around 13MB. CyberHawk would run lower in memory with nothing else but an AV installed, but was still at a combined total of close to 15MB for both processes. Thanks.

9. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Read what it says... Prefered security... That means what I like. Not that Im running all of it on the same time on vista...

10. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Another vote for Prevx and NOD

11. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

With Prevx1, are there a lot of pop ups, or is it install and forget it?

I use NOD32, Comodo, winpatrol plus, trojan hunter, router firewall, spyware blaster

If I get Prevx1 what can I eliminate from the above (if any)

Thanks

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Install and forget it, few (very) pop-ups. I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 + Avast! + SandboxIE besides Prevx1.
    From your set-up, maybe TrojanHunter, and leaving it for on-demand. But it probably runs ok with all of those. Green light:thumb:

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Question about Prevx1 in "expert mode"

Does this app rely entirely on internet site (database) to authorize every single time you open an app? :blink:

This is what i experienced after installing it and then running it the first day.

I tried to open a program while blocking internet access to their "community authorize database" site and it froze my PC till i had to do a manual Hard Reset.

Thanks.

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Easter: that's in the product's description... you can't just block Prevx1. It's all about that!

If it can't check for known apps, pop-ups will appear, but not SSM kind, which is what you're probably expecting. It won't report everything that moves. It will tell you that the program is unknown, and ask you if you want it to run anyway, or block it. If you won't allow it to check the database, everything will be unknown, you'll be with heuristics and HIPS only. If you allow malware, and both you and heuristics fail, it won't clean, because you didn't report it's behaviour, or didn't allow Prevx1.

Expert mode i don't know. It's probably a better HIPS, but they don't advise it at all. Notok has better things to say about this, as usual.

Also, either run SSM or Prevx1. Not both. SSM conflicts with Prevx1... on my machine it did. Don't blame Prevx1.

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks

I have serious reservations about any app that must rely mostly on an internet website to conduct it's capabilities so i'll probably be uninstalling this.

It looks to be better for users who are limited in security knowledge and need to depend on an app to make most the decisions for them. In that light it's really effective for those users.

I really didn't see a marked conflict of it running with SSM at all. It was not untill i deliberately block it's "outgoing" attempt on a simple app of mine (clock.exe)=.swf flash file that it started to puke on itself and my machine. I would like to see this app offer a Db update via internet but not continuously like what resulted. That is totally annoying to me plus what if their site got taken down or some other problem disabled internet connection, not for me, thanks.

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That would be a HUGE database on your computer. That must be refreshed! Talk about super broadband. And not only non-experts should use this, those who want to use the computer without analysing pop-ups too. This is for you to relax and just use the pc with confidence.

You don't like this, uninstall it:thumb:
    SSM is what you want. I myself will never install that again. We're just on opposite sides of thinking. On this at least.

I think Prevx1's model is the way to go. Nothing else has brought such an interesting concept in the last years, concerning security. This really is innovation imo.

Cheers

edit: the point about Prevx1 is also that you're another "scout". Your copy already does some analysis, and reporting will benefit the whole community, not just you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  17. duke1959

Right now I'm back to using AVG Internet Security Suite since I found out that the AntiSpyware Component in it definitely uses Heuristics for RealTime detection besides the vast Signatures it has. I have also added Cyberhawk. With this combination I feel secure enough for my personal use, but I may replace CH with ProcessGuard Free to protect the Components of the Suite.

18. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I voiced those concerns in this thread:-

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=132440

The Prevx boys did a good PR job, but I still have problems with the concept of remaining on-line in these circumstances.

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Well, having not blocked Prevx1, when you're offline, you have a good local database. Not everything is unknown, and probably nothing is, because you're not downloading new things. Still, it will continue to work, and when you get back online, it will update, and confirm or not it's decisions.

Maybe the worst known bad sigs. could be always in our computer, maybe they should look into that.

Or your concern is about privacy?

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Interesting and glad you brought that concern out in it.

Like i already mentioned, Prevx1 will serve users very well who either don't have time, patience or knowledge of making those critical decisions and with this app they obviously don't have to. For others, that Prevx1 verifying or "authorizing" as they say, every executable via the internet doesn't particularly sit well. Internet passage is grown increasingly easy for malicious intruders to intercept data and if that would happen for any length of time, what happens then?
    I just simply blocked the "authorizing" with Kerio and my screen ceased. Not very functional from my standpoint but i do see what that kind of "Live" concept is trying to accomplish, only it's really not necessary IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.