Best Realtime Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mars, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mars

Mars Registered Member

This topic probably has been posted many times, but i couldn't find the right answer as a guest while searching. So heres my first post at wildersforum: Which Anti-Spyware software has the best real time protection?

I used ST, SS, SAS, and i'm using counterspy2 but none of these programs were up to my standard.

As of now i have AVG AS and NOD32...but i need someone who has low resources usage, and strong protection - i dont care about looks:rolleyes: (kinda), or should i just use what i have since i surf with FF(no script) and have AVG

thx for any feedback:)

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Mars,

Out of curiosity, what are your standards? What do you find acceptable in the way of "low resource usage, and strong protection?" Although I am far from an expert, it appears that you have tried the best stand alone AS applications.

I am also curious how you determined the degree of protection.

The only others that might be useful are a-squared, and Spyware Doctor. I don't think they are better than the ones you tried, but whatever your standards are maybe one of those will suit you.

Best,
    Jerry

3. Mars

Mars Registered Member

Oh sorry.....i went to far. what i meant was in regards of my standards was, which one would u recommend. Bc as i did my research - and as u stated these are all great protectors (ST, SS, SAS,etc.). I need a program that gives protection from Malware and has a light background guard and great protection. With ST, i dont trust Crawler with its history at hand. SS was a resource hog, and SAS i have a hard time liking.

at the end of the day i just want a program that isnt a resource hog while protecting me. which one would u persuade me to use permanently]?

thx again!

ps: i was thinking on going back to ST....but im not sure:S

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Add Prevx1 to Nod and you really cant do better then that.

5. Mars

Mars Registered Member

mmm. ive never even heard of this program. could you give some info of your experience using it. ex: highresource,protection, etc?

thx!!

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Prevx1 Is a really good program and all I can say is that there no conflicts with
    other applications. Now when I used it it was a little bit high on resouces but you have to try it for yourself.:)

http://www.prevx.com/

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I am surprised that you like AVG`AS and that SAS is not to your liking. AVG AS is strong in trojan detection, although AVG tried to steer it away from that towards spywares. Since you are new here, at later date you will find SAS is, as matter of fact, a darling of AS on this forum. It may not hurt to take another good look. If AVG`AS's resource usage does not concern you, then you can try Prevx1, it is a real reatime monitor, it will guard your machine not only from within but also from miles away, truly a realtime 7/24/365 kind of protection and its resource usage is almost the same as AVG AS. Look around, you will find plenty of your likings. ;)

8. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Using NOD, Prevx and AVG AS here atm

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have never used Prevx, but when I saw the results of the tests on AV Comparatives, Prevx was the poorest performer of all. Unless it is a lot better than that indicated, I would not consider it for use.

Best,
    Jerry

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for antispyware protection, i like SAS. it runs lights and ive read its quite effective.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, they have done a great job at increasing protection. Almost to good. I think the next time tests like this are done, it will be a complete 360.

12. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I say go with ST and trust that Crawler has changed their ways. The program provides a wide range of protection. With the HIPS enabled and the security level set to expert, you get a ton of protection. It is easy to use, light on system resources, and free. That's hard to beat.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi trjam,
    Thanks for the reply.
    It will be interesting to see the results of the next test. I guess there was a surprise to a lot of folks, considering all the hype. Another question is since Kaspersky detected all, then why use another application? I realize that none finds everything, but one can carry that to the point that he uses a lot of applications to the detriment of his system.

With the work done by Prevx, is it any better than the others tested on AVC?
    All except Cyberhawk got 100%.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

wont know till new tests are done. but I am not going to say get it and dump KIS either. KIS has a great PDM.

15. Mars

Mars Registered Member

wow. thx guys. im really going to think hard on this one!!:D

i might go back to ST. Prevx sounds cool though.

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I guess you have to see why the hype. The concept of the product, that goes beyond anything done so far. Read that to understand.
    Comparatives will only get better, imo. Waiting for that is not getting the point, ignoring completely what they're doing. And the point is it can only get better than AVs, IMHO.
    It's not magic, like getting 90% results on comparatives overnight. It's relatively new.

2 critical aspects for Prevx1's improvement:
    1- more users, and that means a better product right there, without changing the program. The bigger the comunity, better results and protection.
    2- better heuristics, which is what needs improvement imo.

Another is resource usage, but not critical i think. It doesn't drag my pc as is. It could be better, but as they already said, it will be a priority after improving security (probably heur. like i said).

Cheers

17. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Prefer my Sandboxie - Powershadow setup to realtime protection here.

No infections are confirmed with online scans with Kav,Panda and others every now and then.

Now if I was to recommend a realtime security app it would have to be Defensewall.

Shines way above anything else, including any blacklist scanners.

IMHO

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I consider results, and not hype. Whatever the concept it did not perform as well an any of the other applications. It may be great in the future, but as of now I would not consider it necessary or even worth putting on my system.

I sure don't have any argument with anyone who uses it or recommends it, but "the proof of the pudding is in the eating."

I'll leave it at that.:)

Regards,
    Jerry

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not the hype, but why the hype. Maybe i don't know what hype is, since english is not my mother language.

I understand you opinion. I like reading from other perspectives. But what i gather from you is that you didn't read their concept.
    So my guess is you'll be surprised as the months go by and read what others have to say about it while testing. Not really understanding why:doubt:

But you're honest on your opinion, i respect that, and i will leave it at that too. Lets wait 4/5 months, and resume this conversation:)

20. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Prevx1 was never meant to go head-to-head with behavior blockers, it's not meant to be a "HIPS" in the way that is generally used around here.

Ultimately the concept of Prevx1 is to address the problem of traditional signature based solutions, which is the time it takes to add detection for new malware. Imagine if you could submit malware samples to your antivirus vendor with all the analysis already done, the instant it was first seen, and all they had to do was flip a switch and you had detection added without updating. Now imagine every user did this for every malicious file that came across their desktop, as it happened. That's essentially what Prevx1 is about.

Prevx1 holds it's own on detection rates, and on average adds detection for new malware several days before other anti-malware vendors, often more.

You can also, if you wish, set it to prompt you to allow or block any unknown files that try to run. Any potentially undetected malware would show as unknown. Since these prompts would be pretty rare, you would stand a much better chance at actually blocking malicious files if you actually did happen across anything that wasn't automatically blocked.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  21. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Never finding any spyware, malware, ect... With any SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Terminator, AVG AS, Windows Defender, Zero Spyware, Trend Micro, A Squared, and Prevx 1 scans to name a few. My conclusion is that I will keep using Firfox with NoScript. Although I feel that SSM Free or ProSecurity Free would be great for Zero Day Threats, they can be intimidating for some. This is why Cyberhawk for me makes sense for any 0 Day Threats which would be the most likely thing to happen using FF and NS. Further more, I think a Behavior Blocker like Cyberhawk, and adding Arovax Shield with what it covers, beats out all of the above Antispyware's for RealTime Protection. Also with these two at the helm, it would make them not needed for scans. It wouldn't hurt to throw in a Third Party Firewall, just for good measures. Here's a combination that I have used recently that had low memory usage, and ran very very well together.

ZA Free 4.5.594-10MB
    Cyberhawk-20MB
    Arovax Shield-5MB
    AVG 7.5 Pro AV-2MB

Of course a Router Firewall, a decent AntiVirus, and common sense go a long way in being the best RT protection.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  22. btman

btman Registered Member

Not bad, cyberhawk is heavier then KIS though lol. I don't know why people think Kaspersky is heavy... It's just as light as NOD32 on my computer.

KIS with anti-hacker off= 12k+2k=14k (2 Processes)
    Arovax Shield= 4.5k
    Comodo= 9.5k

Total = 28k. Goes up to probably 40k also if I have ST with HIPS on which takes like 10-12k.

23. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Indeed. I myself would have never thought as much if i had not stepped out and given the KIS6 Suite a fighting chance to prove itself, now i'm very glad that i did.

It is extremely light compared to plenty others i really tried to hang on to but eventually needed to drop for something more stable AND light. KIS offers both for me.

24. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

I think you mean "MB" and not "K." Right?

Phil

25. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Superlightweight!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.