Best realtime protection to run with Prevx?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Diprivan, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

I am running prevx1R with LnS, SocketShield, Online Armor, RegDefend, 1st Defence ISR and Greenborder / DefenceWall.
    Is this a good combination realtime? Would anyone add in System Safety Monitor or is this unnecessary duplication? Would it be necessary to run an antivirus / antitrojan realtime in addition?
    As a relative newbee, I would much appreciate some advice.

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Well, realtime I only have Prevx1, OA AV+ and ShadowUser (and am very happy with the combination). You have something similar, plus some more security softwares - personally I wouldn't be looking to add anything more to your security (the more you have, the more likely conflicts you'll get, and you'll also slow your computer down...plus it won't add much to the security you already have).

3. Diprivan

Thanks Vikorr,

If you are running OA AV+, does that mean that I should consider running an antivirus realtime in addition to Prevx?

4. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Yes. Prevx is good at preventing things, but you should still have an antivirus running.

I mean it detects a lot via the community, but I wouldn't be without an AV just yet. It's still just a sort of advanced HIPS. But other than a firewall, and a free antivirus like Avast or Antivir [or insert your own personal AV choice here], I would just have Prevx1. It prevents almost everything else. But then, I'm not that dangerous a surfer.

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

And there is already a lot of overlap with DefenceWall, OA, and RegDefend in my opinion. I'd stick to one of those, or Prevx. That much is just overkill, and I don't want to imagine how long it takes to boot up with that arsenal. :T

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will suggest to add an AV and at the same down to cut down ur security appliances, mainly one of them. Also I hope u are not using DefenceWall and Green Border on the same PC.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  7. Diprivan

Thanks for all your replies,

Aigle, I have been using DW since its early days but I am now experimenting with GB. I am not running these two together, but have them loaded on different 1st Defense-ISR snapshots.
    Compared to some security set ups that I have seen at Wilder's I thought I was running relatively light! I will however remove RegDefend and possibly OA.
    If I am going to run an AV with Prevx, would anyone suggest also running an antitrojan such as BOClean?

8. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

In the old days, AV companies weren't as good as they are now at putting trojan signatures into their AV detection engines. That's changed significantly, and the Top AV's are better at detecting trojans than the AntiTrojans...but no AV detects everything, and as two AV's together can often conflict, many people choose to run an AV and an AT together (AT's and AS's also offer different methods of detection - via registry entries, memory scanners (some AV's have this) etc).

Prevx does claim that you do not need an AV with their product...and they may be correct - or they may not - I haven't seen any independent tests yet, but they are happy for av-comparatives.org to test their product against the top notch AV's, which is a good sign. Certainly I personally think Prevx1 better than any AS/AT.

You also need to be aware of how fast malware is increasing. I saw an article that said McAfee had only 50,000 sigs to 2004, this year they hit 200,000, and they expect that to double again in 2 years. AV companies may have trouble keeping up with the sheer volume of malware coming out...it's seems possible that prevx's architecture will help them keep this influx...but I would guess the major thought out of this increase is that two scanners are better than one.

Personally, if you keep snapshots of your system (with your FDISR), run your browser in a sandbox (in your case defensewall, in my case - ShadowUser <sort of>), and have prevx1 and an AV, then I would think you are quite safe.

Also in choosing an AV, I'd personally want one with a html scanner (KAV and NOD32, not sure about others - OA AV+ uses the KAV engine and offers a few other differences to prevx1)

Things like Regdefend are nice, and do what they do very well, but they do rely on you to make the decisions - and if you don't make the correct decision you can get infected. If you are happy that you know what you are doing, they can offer preventative protection (prevent infection, rather than becoming infected, detecting the infection, and removing it, which is how an ondemand scanner would work)

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That will be OK I think.
    About BOClean I never used, so can,t say anything. But I have heard it is light and very good. I use Ewido free on demand.
    BTW, I think ur system is already well convered after u add a good AV. If u choose free, go for Antivir and if paid, NOD or KAV( provided there are no conflicts). It will be better to run a trial first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.