Best realtime protection: NOD32 or KAV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jethro Tull, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Excellent question. Perhaps someone else who currently uses both could comment.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  2. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks Hammer. I was wondering if I was being ignored. :( ;) :D

3. The Hammer

If so purely by accident. :)

4. rawr

rawr Registered Member

NOD32 gets my vote. Its AMON could use a little work but its IMON works great for me. Can't tell you how many times it detected/deleted java-based trojans for me.. :D

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Someone has to have an answer to this. With all the KAV and NOD32 users here, I was sure someone somewhere has done a comparison like this. :)

6. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I guess I'm interested in which one drags the system down more. I think both will provide excellent protection, but I'm more interested in keeping the system running nicely ... I was surprised by post 6 which indicated that KAV uses less RAM ... although RAM usage alone is not a good indicator of how much it will bog the system.

7. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    well the thing isn't really ram usage like eveerybody looks at.

Start using anything that is very hard drive intensive and watch it bring you down. Ewido is a good example of this. For instance when i build me own unatended cd's for use in my shop for my custom builds. Lots of writing to the hard drive causes them to waken up and start scanning like crazy and it really slows things down.

Nod on the other hand on the same pc I cant even tell any slow down at all.

I still use kav but only on demand. Honestly I dont have any issues at all getting virii with nod running. I do find that on demand for both nod and kav works well on cusomters systems though to clean out whats already there and no matter how good either of them rate I still find virii that each one catches that the other misses. So they make a good combo for this.

Kav is still slower for on access though.

8. Gregory

Gregory Registered Member

Kaspersky's realtime protection works very well. It recently blocked a trojan-downloader.Js.IstBar.j from infecting my computer when I entered a free wallpaper site and all I did was enter it. I remember seeing Duble.com on their page. You would not regret purchasing a good AV if you don't have one.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  9. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Yes I concur, on my PC KAV uses less RAM than NOD (once it has settled down after 10mins or so) but there is more to it than that. Only occasionally do I notice a system slow down with KAV, for example, sometimes I open a local folder in Explorer and it takes a good 20-30 seconds or so to show all the icons for the file names, in particular the exes. Fortunately this does not happen very often and I don't know why it does so - possible it may be a fragmentation issue.

As for how light NOD runs, as a test I've recently installed NOD32 without AMON running, only running the IMON,EMON & DMON services. It is running happily alongside KAV and apart from the increase RAM useage there is no noticeable performance hit - which to me is a testament to how light NOD can run, even alongside KAV.

I still prefer KAV, for it's all-round thorough protection against malware & trojans (although NOD is gradually catching up), but hyperthetically, if I was forced to change to another AV it would definitely be to NOD.

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Nod32 is a good antivirus, I grant you that, but there are better ones out there. This giddy love affair/ fascination that a lot of individuals display for Nod is a bit perplexing, IMHO. It sort of reminds me of a person who is admired from afar but who in reality has a few shortcomings. I think AV-Comparatives pretty well sums it up, don’t you think? Kaspersky is the best. Speed of scanning and "lightness" is one thing, but I, personally, prefer thoroughness (which Kaspersky delivers). I simply do not feel safe surfing the internet with anything other than Kaspersky.

Have a good day. :)

11. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

KAV has a significant weakness in Proactive, zero-hour, protection.
    Looks like that are trying hard to fix this in their next version.

Currently, it seems to me that NOD, Bitdefender and some others
    are providing a better overall balance for both Reactive and Proactive
    protection.

12. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Normally this question is obsolete. Just try to sort things by yourself out:
    Every Exe has it's own Icon. (or at least every Exe could have a different one) These "graphics data" is stored directly in the executable in the resource section. Now, if you open a folder windows want to present you all the fancy icons. How does it do it? It has to read the Icon Data out ouf every executable (Depends on the Subsystem such as GUI/Console etc). Because how else should it know which graphics it should display?

Touching this file for reading icon data raises a On-Access Monitor Event.
    Meaning all files getting scanned because Windows Explorer orders to read bytes for displaying the icon. That's the magic of it :D

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Usually this happens only few times because icon data is then stored to Icon cache.
    Only problem is that icon cache has a limited size,so icons might get replaced in it, resulting in icon display delay because of antivirus checking.

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If i had a dollar for every time you mentioned "zero-hour", i would be a rich man. ;) :D

15. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

If I had a dollar for every time I had to worry about a zero-hour--so would I.

:D

16. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

AHHH...........spoken like a true Gentleman :) :ninja:

17. izi

izi Registered Member

Your wrong. KAV has great generic detection. Generic detection is zero-hour protection.

http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=153595662

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  18. Stan999

That didn't help any with the latest Worm Attacks.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1850851,00.asp

19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

So are you suggesting that a test containing 6 samples is proff of Nods supremacy in terms of "Best realtime protection: NOD32 or KAV"?

Don Pelotas, who finds it mildly amusing that Andreas Marx now apparantly is good enough to show how great Nod is, because only a year ago his methods was called into question by many Nod users when Nod was shown in a not so positive light, even the one who gave name to this forum! ;)

20. Stan999

IMHO, it seems to me that not only NOD but also Bitdefender and some other AVs are currently providing a better overall balance for both Reactive and Proactive protection. It looks like KAV 6.0 will provide better Proactive detection then the current KAV versions.

21. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

Speaking as some one who is running the latest version of NOD, you are very wrong. KAV beats NOD on all round protection as does AVG, Avast Pro And Home, and any KAV based AV product.

If you are running NOD and think you have good protection from Amon you are fooling yourself. In live tests (not lab) NOD consistantly fails to detect the most common of trojans and worms that the above AV's detect. NOD's on demand scanner is a different matter and is as good as any other (not better, just as good) but NOD's resident scanner isn't as good as it could be as it does not scan inside archives, the very place where nasties hide.

22. SimonCC

SimonCC Registered Member

yes but it scans the files when they are executed from the archive and so in fact, one might say it doesnt waste time on scanning unpacked archives.

23. The Hammer

Did you say AVG? o_OYour risking credibility here. :rolleyes:

24. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I was thinking the same thing ;)

25. Stan999

I have run both KAV and NOD for a number of years. I currently run NOD on a
    gaming machine and a KAV AV on other machines. Actually the machine that has
    NOD is more open because it is used by a number of teens that don't always
    practice safe computing. To date NOD has provided great protection on that
    machine.

NOD's IMON real-time scanner for POP3 and HTTP does scan inside archives.
    You may not have yours set up this way?

The AMON real-time scanner does not scan archives but then neither does
    KAV's real-time scanner.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=548896#post548896

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.