Best RealTime Guard?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Ewido´s heuristics works in real time.

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I guess I tried to say that it uses heuristics .. I should have sticked to one sentence maybe ..

on access heuristics = on the fly detection through heuristics

3. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I believe you guys that AVG AS uses heuristics in RT, but where did you get this info? It doesn't seem to be clear on the Grisoft website. It is however, very clear about a squared having IDS behavior detection on theirs. I guess I need to sold. LOL. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

OK, just wanted to make sure....thanks for adding that info and for the heads up

5. duke1959

No problem JRCATES. And please understand i'm doing the rankings for fun. I have no way of knowing which Antispyware Guard would really be best for new and unknown RealTime detection. I just love to start threads that I think is also fun for others, and so we can all enjoy the debating that goes on. Take care.

6. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

(Slightly OT) I've been using IE based Sleipnir browser since 2003 and I've never had a browser based adware/spyware install or any noticable exploit. Although it's IE based, you can set individual security settings for individual tabs or set security settings for individual bookmarks (or set security settings for a folder of bookmarks). It also has a URL action manager that can set security settings (or other actions) based on words in a url. Opera is a great browser, and probably the safest with regards to engine vulnerablities, but I find the interface kludgy so I keep using Sleipnir.

I never use real-time anti-spyware guard. I think it's generally a waste of resources. My Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator and Super AS scans have been clean for ages such that I usually ony run them once a month or even less. I override and block ALL cookies as well, except for needed sites so I don't even have tracking cookies showing up on a scan. I've tried other scanners like webroot but all I get are false alarms or negligible items at worst (if it isn't an exe file or dll, it's benign AFAIC.). Also, if a scanner flags all of the files in the Bearshare folder as adware, in the trash it goes. ;)

I just use Nod32 with Kaspersky 4.5 and AntiVIR as on-demand scanners. If I'm going to enter any questionable areas of the web, I enable PowerShadow. :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  7. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

50-70MB isn't chewing up resources? o_O

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

No, that is memory usage. :gack: Most people with 1GB or more typically don't have a problem with a program using 50-70MB. Simply because a program uses x amount of memory doesn't mean that it's going to tax the system either. If you want a bloated real-time guard try Spy Sweeper.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

ST's HIPS is not all that great. But the realtime shield protects your browser from hijacks very well.

10. duke1959

But Spyware Terminator doesn't have Heuristics that detect behavior in the rare case some new or unknown malware would infiltrate Firefox. a squared anti-malware claims it has an IDS behavior detection which most likely would, and Ashampoo AS claims it has Heuristics that detects behavior, which also should. I'm sold, unless both programs are proven to not do what they claim. ( and thanks to the people in here, I'm smart enough to realize the possibility in this) I tried to enlist some help for ST from the users who post over in that forum, but I don't think I got much of a reply here. They either feel ST is so good that they don't have to, or they saw some of the threads previously started about ST in here and got scared. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.