Best RealTime Guard?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Okay you knew this was coming because of my other thread. So Here Goes. Which has the best RealTime Guard? A Squared Anti-Malware with it's Behavioral Detection besides it's signatures. AVG AntiSpyware which I think uses Heuristics in realtime as well as for on demand, but I'm not sure. Spyware Terminator with it's various Guards and HIPS. SpySweeper, or CounterSpy. And what the heck. Windows Defender with it's realtime features designed for detection in changes made to your PC? Also which one would be best for Firefox protection?

2. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

The best thing for firefox would be no script and flashgot (to control Adobe flash) along with something like Geswall.

Just using no script and flashgot, I get nothing coming through after doing some..................ahem..............high risk surfing...:ninja:

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

For real time protection from what? They all seem to have different strengths and weaknesses: Explorer configuration changes, registry changes, blocking keyloggers, etc etc. But for general, all-purpose real time protection (from your list), I would rank them as follows:
    1. SpySweeper
    2. Spyware Terminator (despite the HIPS, not because of the HIPS)
    3. AVG
    4. CounterSpy
    5. Windows Defender

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If you hate those dress-up occasions, and prefer a casual one. Why not just use a sandbox/virtualization app as your only realtime guard for net sufing. When the task is done, wipe it and it is clean. Never mind those fancy names such as AAA, BBB or even ZZZ. You probably just need one good on demand AS scanner for back up, for the in case. Go green, the simpler, the better and the healthier. Trust me. :rolleyes:

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

If you are talking about Trojans/Malware for me the best on is without doubt BoClean :thumb:

6. duke1959

I guess I realize that nothing is really needed in realtime if your using Firefox for browsing, and I already have NoScript. I just like the features of some of these Antispywares, with Spyware Terminator for that reason being my favorite. The AS Component in the AVG ISS isn't anything like the actual program, so I don't get the features like it has. I just installed Ashampoo Antispyware and it is really feature rich with a Root Kit scanner and tools for checking Start UP Programs and ones that access the internet. I know it is a-squared anti-malware, and with the six months free offer I found in one of the threads here, it was worth trying. It uses the a squared IDS Behavoir analysis in real time to detect new and unknown spyware.The thing is as a few people have brought up, that it probably isn't needed with FF and NoScript. Could there ever be an unknown exploit in Firefox someday though I wonder?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hi duke . hope your books going well.

8. duke1959

Yes it is, and thanks for the hope. I am almost finished and should be done by the end of this weekend. I am also liking the a squared anti-malware clone, Ashampoo Antispyware. it is really cool. I know it may not be needed with Firefox, but it's satisfying my software addiction at the moment. LOL. It runs high in memory, but no PC slow downs at all. I think I like it better than Spyware Terminator at this point. I use AVG AS Free as On Demand, as it ran high in memory as part of my AVG ISS and did slow down PC ever so slightly. Plus I never did get an answer as to AVG AS having RealTime Heuristic detection. That's all for now everyone, and take care solarpowered candle. (I like your user name by the way)

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Avira definetly!

10. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

The new version of PestPatrol -- CA AntiSpyware is now pretty stong.

11. duke1959

I guess the bottom line to my question is, can or could something get through to ones PC even if using with Firefox as their browser? Some unknown malware that until now wasn't heard of? I keep hearing people who us HIPS say that it's a scary internet world out there, and that's why they use them. So if true, would the Spyware Terminator Guard be able to prevent some new Firefox exploit in RealTime? Or for that matter would the a-sqaured anti-malware Guard, or in my case the Ashampoo AS Guard with their IDS behavioral detection be able too? As far as AVG Antispyware, I know it uses Heuristics for On Demand scans, but I see no claim like a-squared of any kind of Heuristic Guard for RealTime Prevention. That leaves Spysweeper, CounterSpy, Windows Defender, and some others already mentioned hear. But how good would their their respective RealTime Shields be for prevention in case of a new Firefox exploit? Maybe I should re-title this thread, Which AntiSpyware Program would have the best RealTime Guard if something new ever infiltrated Firefox. I know HIPS is most likely the best way to go, but after using ProSecurity Free, although I liked it very much and have some PC knowledge, I still felt a little uneasy with it on board. And this was just with using the free version. So if people like me don't want to use SSM or ProSecurity, it leaves us with using an Anti-Spyware that can detect new and unknown threats. So far, from what I have seen a squared anti-malware seems to make the boldest claim to do so as posted on their web-site. That's why Irecently installed Ashampoo as it also claims this because it can by using the a squared engine and Guard. Maybe I don't need it right now with Firefox, but if I ever would, it very well may have the Best RealTime Guard for the job. Anyone?

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well stuff can go throught firefox but its alot harder if you only allow scripts on safe sites using no script.
    lodore

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

hi, folks: Best RealTime Guard? perhaps it is needed to be rephrased as Most FoolProofed RTG. Even we have found it today, it does not quaranteed to be as such on the next day. Therefore, the question will be shifted to this: do you have a plan B? when your Best Boddy has failed you. We can have the whole crops of best and best AS apps, the malwares coders will definitely, IMO, find the way to sneak thru when they can. Use common sense, and do not heavily and sorely rely on ANY AS out there, after all ,the writers of these good apps are HUMAN BEINGS. And none of living humans are ever perfect. Have a nice one.:eek:

14. duke1959

But what about the claims of detecting new and unknown malware? Can we believe what a squared says about it's Heuristic Behavioral Detection, or Spyware Terminators claim to have one of the best Guards for prevention? For that matter what about Arovax Shield, WinPatrol Plus, or Cyberhawk? The question for me still remains, " Would there ever be a need for prevention with Firefox, and if so which one at this point would do the best job? Without more testing I'm not sure this can be answered, and this I believe leaves us at the mercy of the Software makers themselves, who tell us we do need their product and that they will do the job.

15. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I just want to chime in about Firefox. Just because you're using it doesn't mean your safe from anything, really. It's becoming just as explolitable as IE. In about 5 years it might be just as bad. Who knows?

However we do all know one thing: Firefox is not a magic bullet and I'm sick of it being treated like some armour. It's a browser. It does NOT PROTECT YOU from anything.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the extensions and the user decide how safe it is.
    using no script and only allowing scripts on known safe sites does help alot.
    lodore

17. pipester

pipester Guest

A true statement, for sure and a false sense of security for many.

18. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

BO clean = piece of mind:)

Fire fox has been breached on my box due to high risk real life surfing of the web. Low and behold nothing was able to do nothing even though it got breached. What happened believe it or not a drive by download of a .exe file I'm assuming download but hey maybe got created by scripts runnning in my browser calling the right functions or apps to actually create the file, however thats as far as that got and nothing more. :)

19. duke1959

Okay, HIPS aside, what Antispyware RealTime Guard would be the best protection? AVG AS, a squared anti-malware, Spyware Terminator, CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Windows Defender, or any other? My vote goes to either Spyware Terminator, or a squared anti-malware according to what I have read. Then maybe Spysweeper and CounterSpy, followed by Zero Spyware, CA Antspyware, and Trend Micro. With Windows Defender beating out any AS I can't remember.

20. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware not only has the best detection rate, the pro version offers real-time protection that doesn't chew up resources or lag your pc. Even though it uses between 50-70MB of memory it's not bloated in any way. It's the NOD32 of anti-spyware protection. :D

21. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi duke,

Just curious, BOClean has been mentioned a couple of times, but yet you don't mention it when naming/recapping various apps. Since you're asking for best "REALTIME GUARD"....and not asking for a scanner, is there some reason BOClean wouldn't interest you? Other than perhaps there is no "trial" period?

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I personally favor the resident "Guard" of both AVG 7.5 & SuperAntiSpyware. I try to launch some of my confinements :blink: and to my surprise they went totally silent as in refused to launch unless i disabled the "guard".

Very Good protection there IMO.

23. duke1959

EASTER.2010, do you know if AVG AS 7.5 has Heuristics for RealTime detection? And to JRCATES and EliteKiller. Sorry for forgetting about SAS and BOClean. I know both are top shelf. I was tired last night and wasn't thinking. I forgot about Spyware Doctor too. This prompts me to rank them again in order of which one "may" have the Best RealTime Guard for detecting new malware while using Firefox. As far as BOClean I beleive it could be no.1, but I'll exclude it as I never used it, but I have tried the ones I'm ranking at one point or another. 1. SpySweeper 2. Spyware Doctor, 3. a squared anti-malware (Ashampoo) 4. Spyware Terminator 5. SuperAntiSpyware 6. AVG AS 7. CounterSpy 8. Zero Antispyware 9. Tend Micro 10. Windows Defender. I also have used SpyCatcher Express and would put it in the top 5, but it slowed down my PC and didn't seem very stable a year ago. So there you go. Any arguments? LOL.

24. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

yep, I believe Ewido uses on access heuristics but I wouldn't say that it detects everything through it's memoryscanner .. and heuristical detection is always a bit dodgy if you don't know what it is detecting .. at the end it even comes down to: do you like HIPS cause you aren't sure if the heuristical detection could be a F/P .. .. better to have a detection that is a false positive then no detection at all .. but not everyone thinks like this ..

25. duke1959

Thanks Infinity. I started another thread to help me choose between two of the Antispyware's I ranked. I really wish AVG Antispyware used heuristics to detect any new or unknown malware in RealTime, but I think your right it doesn't. You would think it would since Ashampoo Antispyware which is supposedly an a square anti-malware clone, and Spyware Terminator has some type of RealTime detection though. As do some others now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.