Best Privacy Brower?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lucygrl, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencerp

spencerp Guest

sent pm, but i think i following some of it now.. lol. i created the main Ubuntu VM and doing the network card stuff. Just dunno why we're doing all these 32bit/x86.. instead of just 64bits? :/ :p I'll have to check out whonix stuff though, and how to import it or install it and etc.

i'm assuming first one, NATed to host, is just let that one alone as default settings.. and setup VPN etc

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You can use x64 if you like. But you don't really need x64 in the VMs, because they won't likely have over 3 GB RAM. And there is some stuff that isn't available for x64.

You just import the files that you downloaded, using File / Import Appliance in the main VirtualBox menu.

In this setup, you don't need to change the default network settings for either the Ubuntu VM or the Whonix VMs. If you run another Whonix instance, you'll need to change the name of the shared internal network. Having them both be "whonix" would be OK unless you ran them both at the same time. Then it would not be OK.

3. spencerp

spencerp Guest

ah okay, and that's true. :) the ubuntu vm i think i gave it 2gb last time, i'm redoing it though now, cause stupid me didn't install it from virtualbox.org website itself the first time. lol. then got some error "FATAL: could not read from boot medium ubuntu VM" when starting the Ubuntu VM. Then here went to install extension pack to fix it, and it wasn't right one. So I'm basically starting fresh now lmao.

Oh okay, not sure if I located that before. But will check once I get this Ubuntu VM set up again. It should be imported to THAT then right? Once I get this Ubuntu VM set up again...?

ah, gotcha. yeah i don't plan on running two things at once.. Lol

4. D4pp3rD4n

D4pp3rD4n Registered Member

Certainly using an anon network to browse is preferable, but as far as standalone browsers go, I recently did some research and found two (but very different) that I really like.

Epic Browser

Maxthon Cloud Browser

5. spencerp

spencerp Guest

ah dang it, now i gotta wait 2 hours about to download the Ubuntu 12.04 alternate iso for 32bit .. cause it 700mb in size and i have crap connection. Just to use that to do the Ubuntu VM 32 bit.. >_<. *wishes I had vodka dammits*

6. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

If you use the torrent it wiill download faster (maybe) :shifty:

7. spencerp

spencerp Guest

Lol! Last time I did torrents few years ago, it gave me nasty nasty virus and basically totally destroyed the hard drive lmao. I steer away from torrents haha. Plus, for some reason (perhaps it was bad settings or something), they seem to take even LONGER to download than 700MB movies in rar/zip archives.. I mean, 700MB sized files... :D Ironically though, I'm downloading this ISO on other tower with wireless connection and that's usually 50% of my total on this tower that's 1mbps.. and it seems to be going faster than it would on this tower with faster connection.. >_> Says 1 hour 10 mins.. wheeee!! Lol!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  8. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

Ok.. these are very safe IMO but I see your point :eek:

9. spencerp

spencerp Guest

yeah lol. sucks. I'm left with two choices i guess, a) resume a movie i put on pause hours ago before doing all this stuff, and let this ubuntu 32bit iso finish downloading... or b) just delete ubuntu 32bit guest i set up, do a new one for 64bit and just load up the ubuntu 64bit alternative iso i burnt to dvd disc and go from there lol. hmm, if i load it from a dvd disc, will it prompt to format virtual disk and is that bad. i thought i seen someone post about that some where. >_>

10. mirimir

No, you import the Whonix VMs using VirtualBox, which is running on the host machine.

You can't run one "full" / "real" (meaning Qemu, Xen, VMware, ESXi or VirtualBox) VM inside another. You can run most sandboxed environments, and even some "almost-VMs" inside "full" / "real" VMs.

Why not?

I usually have multiple VMs running, doing different things, and I switch back and forth.

Right now, for example, I'm messing with two pfSense VMs that are connected by several site-to-site OpenVPN links. I've aggregated the VPN gateways on each end in a gateway group. I'm trying to figure out how to properly configure routing and firewall rules so they're connected LAN-to-LAN. Then I can see if they're actually load balancing.

The OpenVPN links connect through Tor, using other pfSense VMs as Tor gateways, just like Whonix. On the server end, the Tor gateway forwards the OpenVPN servers as hidden services. On the client end, clients connect via SocksPorts on the Tor gateway. Getting them working was my big win yesterday :)

Anyway, I must get back to that. If any y'all can help, please speak up :) I'm having zero luck getting help on the pfSense forum :(

11. spencerp

spencerp Guest

ah gotcha.. :)

Well, mainly cause of my 56K dialup version of dsl high speed... Heck, I might make Nancy(my computer) crawl to complete stop as is, just running one VPN with TOR.

She be like, slow walking through wet drying cement till she stuck in it for good and can't move. Lol. Or has cement boots on. I think peoples forget what it's like to go back to slow arse speeds for connections. haha.. xD I hated 56K dial up long ago and finally came out of the cave/from under rock (this was few years ago), finally took leap to high(est lowest) speed dsl and was in love.. Now it's like...man, this blows.. i want it faster.. !!! hehe

Good job though man! :) You've been busy, and I can't wait till I'm at your level of knowledge with all this (might be another decade, but I'll get there lol).. I'm jealous / I envy you.... I'm FINALLY getting the Ubuntu 32bit installed.. and then I'm off to bed, it's almost midnight and plan to pick up tomorrow.. LMAO!!

12. spencerp

spencerp Guest

sweet jesus, i didn't get premium vpn yet and i assumed the whonix stuff wasn't that big in size... but it's 1.x gb for whonix gateway alone.. and in your guide says to download this stuff with vpn on. so i did securitykiss again, but only get 300mb limit. and 1.x gb gonna take me 3 hours, just to get whonix gateway on that tower.. especially cause its wireless connection with vpn. that's JUST the whonix gateway.. >_<. i dont have any security on this tower, where i'm wired directly to dsl / wall jack.. guess i'll have to get premium vpn, install it on this tower with windows 7, download that stuff on here which will still take hours sigh, then move the two files to empty dvd disc, load disc on other tower.. and pick up on second tower i left off.. Lol! i think people on super faster connections, don't realize and remember just how slow the 1mbps connections really are, hence me wanting faster dsl packaged with vpn from get go.. Lmao! of course it's not possible, cause all that costs too much.. :(

13. spencerp

spencerp Guest

I know you recommended PIA since it's 40.00 year.. but I guess I'd be willing to do one for at least 100.00 yr if I can get good/reliable and private vpn service..

Below are ones I was thinking of..

Mullvad
    ivpn
    anonine
    PrivatVPN
    BolehVPN

but heard mullvad is insecure: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2285613&postcount=87

i'm not sure about Anonine, but seen some review comments from like 2012 that they had some issues and aren't good?

I'm leaning towards ivpn that you link your siggy.. or PrivatVPN, or maybe even BolehVPN. I guess I'm looking for good out of USA vpn, that really does take privacy seriously. Also, vpn that require me to have to use DD WRT firmware..

Oh, one that allows that I can connect my other computer, kindle, cell phone without needing to pay for another account as well. And maybe do 3 connections or whatever.

14. mirimir

BolehVPN allows two simultaneous connections. Mullvad allows three. iVPN allows just one. I don't know Anonine or PrivatVPN.

15. spencerp

spencerp Guest

oh okay, i guess it's up to me to figure that out then. i got the whonix workstation and whonix gateway downloaded finally, but i didn't download them behind a vpn though, hope that's okay? it took almost all day to download them as is sigh. now just gotta move them to a blank dvd disc, and figure out how to install them as vms on other tower lol.

16. mirimir

It would have been better to download them via VPN, but it's OK.

For future reference, downloading them via VPN is faster using torrents, because multiple connections saturate the VPN better.

You don't need to use a DVD. A USB drive is fine.

And you don't "install" them. You use the "File / Import Appliance" menu selection in VirtualBox.

17. spencerp

spencerp Guest

oh, okay. but since my connection is 1mbps though, it's slower downloading behind vpn and torrents. several years ago i tried doing torrents, got nasty virus and totally destroyed hard drive. another time i tried downloading a 700mb file, it said it would take me 7 days to download the torrent. so i basically don't bother with torrents anymore.. Lol!

well, i have usb stick with memory card in it SanDisk. I could just put it on there, on 4gb or 8gb memory card I guess. Then import it. I only use blank dvd discs as temporary storage discs anyway.. I don't burn them, unless it's OS I know I'll need later down road. :)

18. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I say Firefox bar none, even out of the box. If you throw in lots of about:config tweaks, and addons, then I'd say #2 isn't even very close at that point. Run Ixquick as your search engine too.

I also believe that, contrary to what is often said, you can make Firefox the most responsive browser as well, using your about:config again to make the right tweaks. And vid addons, namely the "EHH4ABP" addon... to selectively remove elements from your often used sites. I go around to my favorited, most often used sites and get rid of elements I don't need that just clutter up the page. It makes them load much quicker with that alone, nevermind the other lists (EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Fanboy's Annoyance List, Malware Domains) which will slim down the pages and make them load quick as lightning.

So you can make this awesomely private browser very quick & responsive as well. Mine, at present, is running faster than Chrome could under any circumstance. And the EHH4ABP has a lot to say for that.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  19. spencerp

spencerp Guest

okay, i got those two whonix's imported now as well as the ubuntu 12.04 32bit and setup like you suggested, and of course on their wiki for ubuntu install whonix's.. says NOT to change the settings and just to let it import. So that's what I did, I just left it import as is.. I guess now though, I can change things to what you suggest? Lol ..

Not sure how to set up the vpns yet, as I'm still deciding on which one to buy.. hehe.

20. mirimir

The only thing to change is Whonix gateway RAM, to 128 MB.

21. spencerp

spencerp Guest

done.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  22. spencerp

spencerp Guest

okay, now it's getting even more out of hand and complex to do all this stuff.. and i can't keep wasting days / weeks and etc to bother with this stuff. now it's my impression that i have to withdrawal funds from bank with rubber gloves on, so no dna gets on the bills/cash withdrawn from bank .. (almost have to dress up like Robbin Williams did in movie Mrs Doubtfire plus rubber gloves on to get the funds out.)

Then have to mail the bills overseas to vpn company.. then wait days for them to get it... then to have to use a secure email client anyway, which costs money as well from my understanding and have email setup already.. with that email address included in a note in the regular mailing to vpn provider business address or whatever, so i get my vpn client id/password...? Am I missing steps? Like, after I dress up like Mrs Doubtfire (to mask/layer of identity protection/conceal identity with bank -this is sarcasm lol) with rubber gloves on and get money from bank, do I gotta exchange those bills yet with some random guy on street too, then mail it out to vpn?

I mean seriously, wtf!?!?!? In this day of age, there's almost NO WAY to be anonymous anyway.. so why all the need to jump through all this trouble to just use debit card to buy a service via PayPal payment as "guest"? I'm about to throw in towel tonight.. Too much trouble.. too many hoops and too much hassles.. :( >_<. Heck, had I known all this stuff years ago... and went through all these steps to pay vpn, email services .. after transactions were completed... I could have had vpn service up and running today, after jumping through hoops and when I mailed payment 4 years ago... Lol!!

And 200.00 to 300.00 PER ONE BIT COIN!?!? WTF!?!?!? LOL! i only have 195.00 to name, so bit coin is outta question.. and of course my funds aren't in bank to transfer either.. so.. that will take 3 days to get back to bank, then another 3 days from bank to bit coin.. no thanks. and to think, technology is to be easy, pfft please.. easier and faster to old school telephone verizon dsl provider and tell em to cut service totally. (but wont do that lmao)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  23. imdb

imdb Registered Member

how come element hiding helper helps pages load faster while all it does is only hide selected elements on webpages? it doesn't prevent them from being dl'ed. it just hides them as the name suggests.

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Download isn't the only factor, preventing bloat from loading (like flash ads) will prevent unnecessary usage of you system resources and let the CPU/RAM/etc. focus on what you want to see.

25. spencerp

spencerp Guest

i think the whole finding privacy browser is pointless though, but heard https://duckduckgo.com/ was better alternative to google search for privacy factor.

I'm not sure though, but all this vpn and vm stuff seems too much hassles and work, then to have spend 300.00 some dollars per ONE bit coin for a vpn service. So really you're not saving money anyway, cause if the vpn wanted 7 bit coins per month, that would be 2200.00 usd dollars?!!?

Even one bit coin at 300.00 some USD dollars per month is over top and extreme. When they originally only wanted 6.95 USD per month. Then to have wait 3 days from debit (credit card) transfer from that account to the bank, then another 3 days from bank to bit coin account?

And I don't have 300.00 some dollars anyway to buy one bit coin. I think I'll just delete all these virtual machines and forget all this stuff though. Too many hoops and hurdles to try and become secure / private. And It don't matter anyway, cause govt already knows it all so...

I'll fire up the second tower now and just remove those virtual machines... And thank God I didn't waste / spend any money on vpns already. Yay.. I just saved about 200.00 there not having to buy any!! Whoo Hoo! Lol! Thanks all for trying to help me though, good luck everybody trying to stay private.. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing .. less hassles, less money, less hoops and hurdles to jump through to be right where you're at without privacy anyway.. Lol!

*hugs*

EDIT: The coins are 500.00 per coin now.. ~ Snipped as per TOS ~.. LOL! http://dottech.org/135658/bitcoin-s...easons-that-are-still-unclear/comment-page-1/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.