Best Practice for updating PCU

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by cdr478s, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdr478s

cdr478s Registered Member

I am currently updating all machines that we have from ver 3.0 to the newer version 4.0 of Nod32 A-V. A few of our machines have an older version of 4.0 already (4.0.437). I am using Remote Administrator to perform an uninstall on the machines and then pushing the install of the package from Remote Administrator. Is the best practice to uninstall then push the new package via an install, or can I just install the package over the existing version of Nod32 that is on those systems without problems? I have read both that its best to uninstall the previous version of any ESET product first, but I also read somewhere in the help that you can install over the top of a previous version. Just wondering which is best and if it matters which version is already installed on the system before updating in which procedure to use.

Thank-you for any clarification.

2. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Hi cdr478s,

I have pushed 4.0.467 on top of 4.0.437 in the past via Push Install on ERAS without issues. The machine will just whine that the computer will need a reboot to complete the upgrade.

Hope this helps a little...

3. cdr478s

cdr478s Registered Member

Just curious Geosoft. Do you stick with the default configuration of Nod32 as much as possible before pushing with Remote Administrator or do you find yourself enabling a lot more options within the configuration tool? I find it odd what is turn on or off from module to module with no clear indication of why. I am turning on "Potentially unwanted Applications" but I see the default for "Potentially unsafe applications" is turned off everywhere if I remember correctly since it might affect a legitimate application. Just trying to also determine what the different filters may be missing by not having these features on. Is ESET's default configuration best to leave alone to catch as much as possible and not cause conflicts? I am wanting to get a good baseline config before pushing to all clients and then having to change it.

4. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

I pretty much push a modified version of the Black Spear configuration to my clients. I prefer to have max protection where possible. The only diff is that I limit realtime scanning of files/achives to be under 100MB. I tend to find files larger than that doesn't have anything to worry about so there's no point in killing processing power to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.