Best Practice for Backup Image ?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by JosephB, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Best Practice Question - For performing Backup Imaging:

I was just wondering do most here, first "Disable" their Internet Connection before performing Backup Images ?

... If no, there are a lot of pgms on a pc that are set to automatically update at different time periods/intervals when a pc Internet Connection is present and these auto updates could occur during the periods when a Backup Image is in progress and some might even request a reboot when they finish updating, and this might cause some inflight updating inconsisentencies when files are being copied into a Backup Image, I am thinking.
    ... So, what is your approach to this ? Backup Imaging with Internet Connection Enabled or Disabled ??

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't disable the internet connection when making an image but what you suggest as possibly happening is true. However, the live imaging mechanism should ensure the disk contents that existed when the snapshot of the structure was taken is what is written to the archive. In other words, any new writes into an area of disk are held pending until that area is archived. I can't say specifically how Paragon does things but the above is the general method of doing live images.

If all this stuff makes you nervous then the safest way of doing an image is to boot up the Paragon CD and make your archives with the HD in a static state, that is Windows is not running from the disk and no changes are being made to the disk. I think it is fair to say that virtually zero bad archive problems are reported because of live imaging.

3. JosephB

seekforever,

I have faith in Paragon's Live Imaging, but my concern is actually:

1. Either a "Partial Update(s)" being recorded in the Backup Image from a Program performing an automatic update (due to Internet Connection present) during Backup Imaging Period, such as the Automatic Update of the Program's changes to files were recorded in the Backup Image, but its changes to the Registry Files were *not* captured in the Backup Image, due to the timing of copying the Registry Files verses timing copy the files in the programs files or windows system directories, etc

2. Or, a program that requires a Re-boot after performing its auto update:

a) would this prevent Paragon from during an auto shutdown (if this paragon option was choosen), upon completion of the Backup Image ?

b) would this leave the Program Update incomplete that would *not* be finished properly, if the Backup Image was then later Restored ?

4. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

On any mission critical PC I prefer to use off-line imaging, by using a Linux disc or similar.

5. seekforever

Fair questions but I can't provide the answer to the details. Perhaps Matt Spathes of Paragon will help out.

If it is a problem I'm sure we would have heard about it on the forum by now and I don't recall it being an issue with either Paragon or Acronis.

6. JosephB

seekforever,
    Just to clarify further, I mean that I think that a pgm set to automatically update (Java, Adobe Reader, AV, etc) when an Internet Connection is detected, and it updates during the middle of a Backup Imaging process --- that the data changes of the automatic update pgm, probably would *not* get picked up for inclusion into the image, if the location of the data had already been added to the backup image".
    (For example, concern is of a "Partial Update(s)" being recorded in the Backup Image from a Program performing an automatic update (due to Internet Connection present) during Backup Imaging Period, such as the Automatic Update of the Program's changes to files were recorded in the Backup Image, but its changes to the Registry Files were *not* captured in the Backup Image, due to the timing of copying the Registry Files verses timing copy the files in the programs files or windows system directories, etc).

Matt Spathes,
    Can you add your guidance on this question and the second question in the previous thread ?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  7. seekforever

My understanding of the process, and to be fair, this is based on a description provided by another imaging software but it is probably reasonable to think the process is similar for any live-imaging program regardless of any difference in implementation such as the use of partition locking.

A snapshot is taken of the disk contents and this forms the reference for the disk sectors to be backed up. The backup proceeds and if any sector that is not yet backed up to the archive is to be modified by some other program, the write is queued up but not executed until it is safe to do. If the sector has already been archived then the write is allowed to proceed. This the idea but undoubtedly simplified.

Like I said earlier if this was an issue we would have lots of reports of problems with live-imaging but that just isn't the case.

8. JosephB

seekforever, all users,

Okay, so then I think the only remaining concern is for Question 2 below:
    (can anyone try to emulate this and determine the outcome result ?)

2) An AutoUpdating Program executing, during the period of a Paragon Backup Imaging Process, that requires a Re-boot after performing its auto update:

a) Would this prevent Paragon B&R, from doing an "Auto Shutdown" (if this Paragon Auto Shutdown Option was choosen), upon completion of the Backup Image ?

b) Would this leave the AutoProgram Update incomplete in that it would *not* be finished properly, if the Backup Image was then later Restored ?

9. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

This is about as accurate of an explanation I could give, if you are looking for best practices, the only true best practice I would recommend would be make sure the system is de-fragged before the first initial image you create, other than that leaving your internet connected is not an issue, and if it is truly a concern I would recommend using either the WinPE disk or the Linux based RCD to perform the operation in a stand-alone environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.