Best place to get free email account

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeNAS, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Hello!

I have now two gmail accounts and I like to switch it. I don't need lots of storage. About 50MB/100MB is enough. I want good security and privacy more. I like to use Thunderbird with my accounts.

Hope you understand what I mean...

-MikeNAS

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I recently switched to free aol.com email, because it supports IMAP. :thumb:
    Any sender that is not in your address book goes to the spamfolder.
    Gmail is forwarding everything to my new account.
    Inbox.com is also a decent service with challenge/response spam protection, although I experience inadequate customer support.
    No, what do you mean?

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I like Yahoo! mail. Easiest signup. Not like Aohell.

4. wilbertnl

Yahoo mail doesn't come with free POP3 support.
    Free AOL email only requires an AIM account, nothing else.

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

The free account is only 10MB (pay for more), but FastMail supports IMAPs (IMAP over SSL).
    With Thunderbird, you can make a rule so when it connects to the FastMail account, it moves the email to your Local Folders Inbox. This way you never go anywhere near the limit.
    With IMAP or IMAPs and Thunderbird, you will only be able to receive (and manage) email through the account.
    You will not be able to send email out via IMAP. That will need either a SMTP server or to use the FastMail web interface.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Gmail is the only free email provider with more than 50 MB, who supports SSL/TSL via POP3.
    Hushmail - 2 MB, 2048 bit encryption, only webmail access (login at least once per 3 weeks).
    Bluebottle - 250 MB, Webmail / POP3 / SMTP, too good anti-spam (blocks all except allowed).

7. wilbertnl

AOL email also supports SSL/TSL.

8. MikeNAS

Thanks for those hints. How much better options I have if I can spend some money on it?

9. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I am not trying to sell you, but at $5.95/mo., the email features alone at cotse are a good deal.
    Plus you get access to all the other privacy services like CGI and SSH proxies, etc.
    There are no ads either.

10. MikeNAS

Thanks Devinco! I really like Cotse and that price is quite cheap. Any other reasonable choices?

11. security_concerned

security_concerned Registered Member

Fastmail does not have pop or imap access in the free offering. It does have ssl login and sessions. Fastmail has had some big problems lately with hardware and downtime.

I was lucky to get a loftmail.com account when they were offering free ones. Very reliable and secure.

I'm curious as to why anyone would not like gmail. It is my primary email provider and I find it reliable and secure.

Bluebottle's offering is ok but the signup is a nightmare and they want personal info including phone number. I had an account with them a few years ago but found them unreliable. I think they've ironed out their problems and their email service is supposed to be 100% spam free based on a challenge/response method.

It is pretty hard to top gmail and yahoo for reliability although I dislike yahoo. You can get pop access for yahoo accounts other than yahoo.com. Try yahoo.ca or another.

12. wilbertnl

13. security_concerned

security_concerned Registered Member

Thanks for the fastmail imap info wilbertnl. I've had a free account with them for years and was unaware.

A new player on the market is www.pubbox.net. This provider has secure imap and smtp. Web access is not secure. It is free.

14. wilbertnl

You are welcome SC.
    I heard rumors that gmail and yahoo! are planning on support for IMAP too.
    I have a paid account at fastmail.fm, but I'm disappointed with their hardware problems.
    IMAP.AOL.COM feels faster and more solid. I decided to forward fastmail to AOL and not renew my paid account.

15. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Yahoo mail does come with POP access in certain countries, eg UK.
    I have used it on and off as my 2nd mail account for about 4 years.

I signed up for an AOL account, but not used it yet

FYI, reason google wont support IMAP, is that it does'nt have the traditional folder structure that IMAP uses, this is good or bad depending if you prefer filter/label or folders for organising your info (I am a filter/label fan).

16. MikeNAS

Thanks for that hint. I choose now pubbox (maybe change it but don't know yet). I can give more information when I start to use that account. BTW now I make only 1 account, why the hell I have 2 before.

Bluebottle is also quite good but it doesn't offer IMAP in free account so i dropped it. If I don't like pubbox then I try free Loftmail account.

Thanks for helping me!

-MikeNAS

17. wilbertnl

Nick,
    You might like the M2 email client built in Opera. It's also filter/label based.

18. MikeNAS

It's long time ago when I last time use any email client. Is Thunderbird still good choice or is there any better free options? I use Firefox so Opera built in client is out of my setup.

-MikeNAS

19. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

20. wilbertnl

Thank you for your tip, KikiBibi.
    I want to add that I'm pleased with dispensable addresses from kasmail.com

Just learned that the + sign is not always accepted as valid address... For example Ashampoo.com doesn't accept it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  21. pubbox

pubbox Registered Member

Login is sent via https, hidden in the action field :)

22. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I have a pubbox account, is very sweet, found it on http://www.emaildiscussions.com/ which is a nice little forum.

Just needs a better web interface (I use webmail at work due to firewall)... does anything like gmail work with pubbox (I could also host my own webmail system).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.