Best method for replacing Disk Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ralph926, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph926

ralph926 Registered Member

I would like help in the best way to replace my 20GB IDE that currently contains Windows XP Pro with a Raptor drive. My current situation is as follows and don't ask how I got here because that's a totally different story for another day:

Three disks installed. Disk 0 is drive C containing XP. Disk 1 is 200 GB and has 6 partitions: J 30gb, K 21gb, L 30gb, M 30gb, P 35gb and V 40 gb . These partitions are primarily used to store data and non-system applications except for V which contains Windows Vista. I installed Vista and am dual booting Vista and XP with no problems. Drive 2 is 150 gb Raptor drive which is currently empty although I've created a couple of 40 gb partions.

I would like to swap the contents of Disk 0 to the Raptor drive and use a partition on the Raptor drive as the primary running Windows XP. I also would like to rename the partition on Raptor drive as C. There seems to be several ways to this using Disk Director 10 or TI 10. I would like help in the best way to replace my 20GB IDE drive that currently contains Windows XP Pro with a Raptor drive. My current situation is as follows and don't ask how I got here because that's a totally different story for another day.

I would like to swap the contents of Disk 0 to the Raptor drive and use a partition on the Raptor drive as the primary running Windows XP. I also would like to rename the letter on Raptor drive as C. There seems to be a couple of ways to do this using Disk Director 10 or TI 10. With DD I can copy the C partition to the Raptor drive and with TI I can image C partition to my 200 gb drive and then restore it to Raptor drive. Also is it better to create a partition on the Raptor for the copy or restore or just restore or copy to an unallocated portion of the Raptor. Not sure if possible to do that with unallocated space.

I would appreciate any thoughts and thanks for your help.

Note: also placed this on DD forum because either forum may apply(IMO).

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Lets leave Disk 1 out of the picture for a minute and take this one step at a time.
    I think you can safely clone Disk 0 to Disk 2, it will have to wipe out the 40 gig partitions. During the cloning process you should choose the manual clone option so you can make the partition whatever size you want.
    After you've done the Clone, remove or disconnect the original and boot with the new clone. I'm not sure if you will still get your dual boot option or not.
    BTW, I always prefer to do these procedures using the bootable True Image cd which you can make after installing TI.
    Let us know if this works.

3. ralph926

ralph926 Registered Member

Wow this has been quite an experience. After reading some of the messages on the forum I believe the dual may be causing me a proble. I cloned my C drive and all seemed to go OK. When I pulled the plug on the old drive and rebooted XP i got message "The Windows Boot Configuration Data File is missing required information". I was able to get into Vista. I could repair XP because I don't know what the password for the administrator is. I don't ever recall changing this so it should be blank but that didn't work. After messing around with all this Boot stuff I got nowhere after spending several hours trying to resolve the issue. So I took an image of C and restored it to the Raptor drive. This went well but when I brought up XP on Raptor drive I couldn't execute any programs. I said let me give clone another try so I cloned C to Raptor drive again. Forgot to mention that TI 10 with latest build would not let me increase partition size even in manual mode. I was locked in to 19.11 gb and that was it. I discovered a neat trick which has helped tremendously and that is using F11 to pick which disk I want to boot from. Anyway after cloning the second time I pulled plug on old drive again and booted from new C drive and got this message. Windows failed to start, file: \ntldr status: 0xc000000e info:the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt. I checked new C drive for \boot\bcd folders and they were not there. Also missing was ntldr. Again I am able to start Vista with no proble. Can someone please straighten me out on this boot info. I did load a program VistaBootPro which is supposed to work in XP and Vista and I was able to enter in the boot record the missind drive letter C. It just seems like the Boot files are missing from the cloned disk. Can anyone help me create these files or explain why the cloning didn't bring them overo_O?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.