Best Media Player

Discussion in 'polls' started by abhi_mittal, Apr 8, 2005.

?

Best Media Player??

Poll closed May 8, 2005.
  1. Window Media Player 9 & 10

11.9%
  2. Winamp

11.9%
  3. Jet Audio

19.0%
  4. DivX Player

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. VLC Player

7.1%
  6. Real Player

2.4%
  7. iTunes

2.4%
  8. Power DVD

4.8%
  9. Musicmatch

4.8%
  10. Others

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Security Freak

Security Freak Registered Member

i agree,i download this Mega Pack and my god,its the best download i made in my life,simply put Jet Audio along and you have the best Media Software available today.K-Lite Mega Codecs are highly recommended for everyone that love sound and iimage.finally i get rid of Power DVD(uninstall) because the Mega Codec have Cyber Link DVD codec and i can watch my DVD,s with Jet Audio with the same quality of Power DVD but with the best interface of Jet Audio,am very happy with my machine right now.

2. software-tester

software-tester Registered Member

someone may like to try j river media center.

just find it great as a jukebox plus it's a lot more check it.:thumb:

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Update: #1 WMP 11 & #2 Media Player Classic (K-Lite Mega Codec Pack).
    If there is something, that WMP can not play, then MPC will play it for sure.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Interesting read.
    I was really going to try BS, but adware is bundled.:blink:
    Now i don't know. I'll try Quintessential.
    I use VLC, and it supports almost everything, but it seems the quality sometimes isn't that good.:doubt:

Still undecided. Has to be something free, on the top (best quality, and support almost all formats), no ads n other crap, and can't phone home.
    Anyone knows of one that complies?:blink:

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can try Media Player Classic. it supports many formats and has several included codecs, though id suggest Vista Codec Pack or Combined Community Codec Pack.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I was being too harsh on VLC. It never let me down. Played everything i wanted. Maybe the when the video quality was bad was due to the file itself. And it never phones home:) .
    Still i ask you experienced users: are there better alternatives? In terms of quality? (again free, on the top, no ads n other crap, and can't phone home)
    Quintessential aparently isn't that clear to me. It's that Gracenote CDDB thingy...o_O

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Zoom Player is clearly the best. The paid version is the tweaker´s heaven ;)
    Media Player Classic if you don´t like installing codecs/filters. It´s a simple executable, no need for installing
    Foobar2000 for audio files

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Foobar2000 rocks!:thumb:
    However i can't fing an UI that changes the window itself. It stays dull. I can only change the inside. How can i change it or where can i find UI's? A page where i can find the preview of how it looks, before i download it.:blink:

9. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I like VLC (no need to install tons of codecs) and WMP 9 (no bugs like the newer ones).

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

See here:
    Link1
    Link2

11. nimd4

nimd4 Registered Member

^ That's messed up :/ WinAMP (classic theme) all the way .. foobar 2nd ;) :)

12. Carson

Carson Registered Member

Thanks, abhi_mittal, for starting this thread! No matter what a person likes, it is useful for everyone. Just what I was looking for!

I've used a bunch of players over the years. My pref for WMP (which I hardly use at all any more) was WMP 9. I didn't like 10 at all. I like 11 better but still prefer 9. I think M$ is childish to insist the latest has to be the best, and to not let a person go back. Probably that causes a bunch of people to leave WMP altogether and go to something totally different.

foobar2000 seems to be the most "intelligent" I've found, but this is very sad, because I don't think that I am as intelligent as foobar! Surely it is an IQ test posted by aliens! It never seems to quite work for me except in its ugliest state. I have drooled over the fabulous GUIs that foobarians display, but I can't even get base-level stuff to make the grade. Plus with the latest stable and the last 2 betas I have had the weirdest total system crashes (on XP?!? but XP never crashes!). Very very strange. The only XP crashes I've ever seen. I don't know for sure that it's foobar but the circumstantial evidence is very very high.

So if I could get more IQ (like getting more RAM, y'know?) I'd go for foobar.

But that's why I'm here. I was looking for something like foobar but not quite. I've made a list from this thread, and I'll try a bunch.

As foobar points out, no player has better sound than any other. Sound isn't determined by the player; it's determined by your system. That's true but all players come with a certain amount of pre-configged settings, like their own biases. So you could still find that one player gave you better sound, or happened to sound better on your system, than another. In theory you could tweak any one to match any other, as long as they had the available software.

The very best sound I've ever had just seemed to "happen", and although I wrote down all my settings, it also just seemed to "not happen". So my best conclusion is that it's those darned aliens again. . . .
    ;)

13. Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Dr. Lucien Sanchez Registered Member

I use foobar2000 for music. If you don't mind using a very bland looking player (though it possible to make foobar2000 look fantastic) then it's brilliant. I've tweaked the looks of mine a little bit but nothing amazing or anything. For general videos I use VideoLAN (like any sensible person should) and I use PowerDVD for my DVDs.

14. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

use Media Player Classic w\ the K-Lite Mega codec pack

15. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Just found another impressive Media Player. I am more than surpriced that this on is not well known.
    Gom Player

16. armybobspost

armybobspost Registered Member

DON't Download Yahoo Jukebox

I am really disappointed with yahoo jukebox-----------

1. It takes too long to start-up
    2. I has been showing some kind of fatal error and automatically shuts down.
    3. The HELP section in the yahoo jukebox is of ABSOLUTELY no use.
    4. The icon in the system tray is of no use. It simply does not work!!!!!!
    5. I cannot add lyrics or view the lyrics of the song that is being played.
    6. Yahoo jukebox greatly slows down my internet speed.
    7. It can only be started once. That is to say, if I close jukebox by clicking on the Cross button and then later restart it, it does not open. I have to restart my computer.
    8. Even though i have set jukebox to be my default media player for music files, it does not open when I click a media file icon.
    9. Jukebox sometimes add songs automatically to the playlist, these songs are the ones that I have never even clicked.
    10. I downloaded Yahoo Jukebox after reading a lot of good reviews on the net. I have been completely let down by this product. Thank god! I didn't upgrade!!!!!!

THE GOO SIDE-------
    the icon of yahoo jukebox for music files is kindda cool!!!

17. ASM

ASM Registered Member

Yes GOM:thumb: ... another will be KMP. But GOM can't save playlist to m3u format.:doubt:

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm sorry i didn't pay enough attention to your post. Now i know..
    Media Player Classic or VLC, and foobar2000. Light and efficient:thumb:

19. Bruce99

Bruce99 Registered Member

I'll go for mplayer for gnu/linux and k-lite codec pack for windows.
    The win32 port of mplayer dosent seem to be the same as the posix one(it lacks something, not sure what), werid heh?

20. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I think with version 2 Amaroc will be ported to Windows :)

21. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

For me the best music player used to be fb2k, now Winamp.
    I also like media player classic - I use it for *everything* but music, even auto playing DVDs.

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

as of recently ive gone (back) to Zoom Player. MPC is still good but i prefer ZP's playlist and it has ongoing development/support.

23. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I prefer VLC on Windows and Mplayer on Linux.. you are right about mplayer on Windows, it just seems clunky. I love the Linux Firefox plugin too.

I have XMMS for playing music with (I use Winamp on Windows), nothing touches Winamp for blend of features without sacrificing performance IMHO - yes you can bloat it out, but all i need is a good compact player with playlist and a decent library function that can search, sort, filter etc., foobar comes close, but its Library is not quite as slick as Winamps to use.

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Now, I know everybody's Media Player, but I still don't know what the best Media Player is.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  25. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

'Best' is in the eyes of the beholder. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.