Best Linux Software: Our favorites for any desktop environment

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ronjor, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-linux-software/

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

When they recommend AVs for desktop use on Linux, you know something is very wrong!

On a more serious note, half the problem with Linux IMO is the lack of good applications. Almost all the really good ones are cross-platform anyway, and there are still a lot of holes, e.g.
    - No good PDF reader or editor
    - No good archive managers
    - No good or even halfway decent file managers
    - No good full-featured image viewers (e.g. Irfanview on Windows)

Part of this derives from the lack of standards. (No standard way to mount local volumes, no standard graphical toolkit, no standard yada yada.) Another part of it is the chicken-and-egg thing, where lack of market share means lack of mindshare with application developers. But one has to recognize that it's a problem.

(Also, recent trends in desktop development haven't helped. Breaking APIs every six months is not conducive to application development, and the applications matter. Are you listening, Gnome developers?)

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The best Linux distro is/are the ones that work ootb on the hardware I'm using.

4. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

A must have program that i use is DeVeDe :thumb: I'm surprised VLC isn't included here as well, Not the best looking... but most functional audio\video player I've used.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

"Since there isn’t a distro that natively has the ability to open PDFs": Assumptive statement that's obviously false. Sure didn't recommend anything new and worthwhile.

6. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, I'm a Kubuntu user and am happy with what it offers.

Reader: Okular is very good, IMHO. Editor: I don't have the need for one, but is LibreOffice (with libreoffice-pdfimport) not good enough?

Ark is okay for me.

Krusader is excellent.

Gwenview is good.

Again, I'm using Kubuntu and I'm not very familiar with what other flavours offer. I can't say that I'm really missing anything important (with the exception of a powerful application comparable to Amibroker ;) ).

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

First of all you have to define "good". Personally I am satisfied with my choice of PDF reader, archive manager, file manager, and image viewer. However I do not know what your needs/wants are and how the currently available software is lacking for you.
    Reader: Acroread, Evince, mupdf
    File Roller
    SpaceFM, Nemo, Sunflower
    XnViewMP (currently in beta)

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Any one running an AV on their Mac doesn'r deserve to own one! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.