Best Linux Alternative to Windows Outlook?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lucygrl, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Is Thunderbird the best alternative to windows outlook for Linux?
    And if so, what is the best way to secure the email to make it private?

thankyou.

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Thunderbird is all i know, so I don't know if Libre Office has anything... What do you mean more private? Encrypt it, run your own email server, use a provider that isn't MS/Google/Yahoo. But this is all over the privacy forum... the OS doesn't change how email operates.

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

What features are you interested in (mail, calendar support etc) ?

I personally use Thunderbird for email and calendering - Kmail seems to be OK in my limited use. I have tried Evolution on a few machines recently and it still has problems handling my multi gigabyte Gmail accounts, UI freezes, fails to get contents of my large folders.

As for securing Pauly is right, but also local encryption (either of the home folder or drive) where local caches/stores are kept helps.

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I tested a bunch of them. Thunderbird is the most stable one. It hasn't recived new features for awhile now which means it also hasn't recived any new bugs for awhile now! This is an example how a software should be done. Developers should work on a program for several years, mature it and then no more new features and just stability/bug fixing updates.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Probably Thunderbird... That's what I end up using all the time in linux after trying most of the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.