Best freeware setup for your Grandma

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kupton, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Whoops, my bad again. :oops: You're right, I must have missed your post.

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I agree with setting up Returnil free, each reboot will be a clean install.

The point is, with a 'Grandma' type of person, most likely, they won't be saving files, or installing programs. He/she will click on 'IE' or 'firefox', go to google, look around, then close the browser.

So another safe option would be to have Sandboxie running as the only option of using a web browser, with it set to delete content upon exit.

Avast free works well with sandboxie, especially with its alerts when browsing an 'infected' page.

If there is a chance 'Grandma' might save the odd email attachment, such as a powerpoint picture slide/show attachment, or save a few other files, I know it's not freeware, but DefenseWall would be most suitable. All web browsers and other internet applications are protected, along with all downloads. The downloads don't have to be 'recovered' like in sandboxie, all downloads can continue to be used (straight off the desktop for example) without any harm to the system, even if the download happens to be malware.

No confusing prompts either. And as another mentioned, AVG free automatically removes threats, so that could work well. :)

Option 1) Returnil
    Option 2) Sandboxie with Avast or AVG
    Option 3) DefenseWall (paid) with Avast or AVG

3. kupton

kupton Registered Member

I think we need to assume that people are going to download things like pictures and videos from the grand kids, etc. That makes Sanboxed surfing and Returnil less desirable. Since I want to stick to freeware DefenseWall is out.

I'm leaning towards Threat Fire, Avira free, and windows firewall. Anyone have problems with that setup?

4. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi,

You only need the following:

(1) Avast Home
    (2) Threatfire
    (3) Windows Firewall
    (4) Firefox+WOT
    (5) Turn on automatic updates in Windows

She probably won't even get infected, so why worry about automatic removal and DO NOT PUT HIPS ON THE SYSTEM.

Thanks.

5. philby

philby Registered Member

I don't see that: Returnil (V2 Personal) protects the system partition and persistent saving of data is possible to a different location - the simplest way would be for "Granny" to save only to "D" if we assume system partition is "C".

philby

6. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hah, a good post! Don't cheapskate your family! :)

Buy her Nod32 & Prevx3, install Firefox & let her use that. Good solid security that doesn't keep popping up or need any interaction. You can even renew the licences remotely.

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

TF can be set to automatic operation, but as mentioned, can be risky. Avira, nor WFW I think can be set to automatic operation, so that would result in prompts. Completely promptless, avast! would be it. I would go with AVG LinkScanner too, but it would still result in pop-ups, even if automatically blocking threats.

8. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

If it wasn't for the FPs and slow processing of data, I would probably go with Prevx, but the continuation of FPs makes it risky to set it to automatic. Eagerly waiting for the new version (beta) to test it. :) Hey Joe, what's the roadmap? :D

NOD32... yes, automatic, but has caused simple FPs for me which has made me avoid it. Gave it another chance - failed me again. The automatic operation doesn't make a good combination to put it simple. Can also have several pop-ups for a single item. On the plus side you've great heuristics, but that's also what's causing the trouble...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

The options which my mother of 75 was happy with on her old PC: DefenseWall and Avast (XP). Because she liked to play bridge via the internet (and did some occasional shopping), she bought a new PC. Her new set up

Vista 32 bits with UAC and IE8, vista FW with freeby Vista FW control. I have installed Norton's UAC tool (I have hacked the litterals to Dutch in the program :) and set the UAC in quiet mode (use TweakUAC freebie) to prevent OKAY fatigue.

Simple Windows Defender (with on execute scan disabled, because Avast takes care of that and greatly reduce system load of Windows Defender). I also installed Avast and used the the "blocker" of the standard shield at executable renames/copy (this pops up when an executable is copied from D partition to C, told her to deny this when she does not install a new mind game herself or performed an update of windows/avast (she plays mostly mind puzzles etc plus bridge via the internet).

I have installed AppGuard as policy protection and disabled all executable launches from non system partitions. AppGuard with the Avast blocker really is a powerfull low pop-up combo (AppGuard prevents running executables to run, Avast pop-ups when a dropper wants to copy itself on the C partition).

I realise that UAC in quiet mode is not as safe as full UAC, but UAC notifications should be rare, otherwise the effect will be an automatics allow by an innocent user.

Regards Kees

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Also get WOT and have it set to block sites. This will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.