Best Free HIPS

Discussion in 'polls' started by AaLF, Dec 8, 2007.

?

Which is the 'best quality' Free HIPS around today?

1. ProSecurity

13 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. SSM

15 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. DSA

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. ProcessGuard

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. GhostSecurity

7 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. NeovaGaurd

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. EQsecure

9 vote(s)
    6.6%
  8. OnLineArmor

42 vote(s)
    30.7%
  9. Comodo3

35 vote(s)
    25.5%
  10. Prevx

12 vote(s)
    8.8%
  11. DefenseWall

14 vote(s)
    10.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Greetings tisatashar

Your concerns are well noted and logical assumptions, but consider this, HIPS is in a manner of speaking a middleman of sorts, so if a roach is signalling your system it demands a place to land, HIPS "will first STOP it" before it gets to completes it's entry on your system, only averted by the choice YOU the user determines as unknown or suspicious, and that file never gets to land, in effect, it is held in suspended animation by the HIPS untill YOU the user makes the decision to grant entry or not.

This is called front-line shielding: Unlike some AV's, it has no alternative but to be examined FIRST and held up from issuing any commands to your system up untill YOU give the OK or REFUSAL.

The concept of AV's are well-intended, but they cannot ABORT or STOP entry unless first that file is matched in it's database as a potential risk.

2. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Yii.

You got more firepower there than the seventh fleet. I think you're problem will be which 'tomahawk' to unleash.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

What do these stand for?

SSM?
    DSA?

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Those baddies want to get down and dirty and mess with your good machine?, then i say let's play on an uneven field, they may hide, but i will find! :D

6. daniel2007

daniel2007 Registered Member

Regardless of which you use today, the "war" isn't quite over yet. For me, HIPS and IDS are just part of the ongoing evolution. The hackers will continue to evolve, no doubt about it, and even operating systems need to do their share.

Personally, i layer (developed over time): good habits, Zone Alarm Pro, Spy Sweeper, SSM-free, CA anti-virus (free from my ISP) with backup online scanners from Kaspersky and F-Secure when i need a second opinion. Oddly, nothing has ever been caught or even quarrantined. I have more headaches from simple tracking cookies than anything else.

Another free IDS i tried was XRAY-IDS.... Anyone else see this ? Another 'no brainer' was XP Protection. And, i almost went through the whole fiasco of SNORT with an XP gui. The problem is that i had no way of testing them and really couldn't leave my system in limbo.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Windows Defender ! Now there's rock solid security. Ha !

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('') ... for the cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.