Best free HIPS?

Discussion in 'polls' started by aigle, Feb 16, 2006.

?

In my opinion, best free HIPS is

Poll closed Apr 17, 2006.
  1. AntiHook

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. ArovaxShield

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Prevx R1

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. TeaTimer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. WinPatrol free

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Process Guard free

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. System Safety Monitor

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  8. Abtrusion Protector Personal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. CyberHawk

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What is best free HIPS in your opinion? This poll can help me and other people to choose a couple of free HIPS. Pls vote for your best choice, if you have more choices or comments, you can write in your posts. thanks

2. stefan_c38

stefan_c38 Registered Member

Process Guard->Exactly what i need no more no less

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

IMHO, antihook, system safety monitor, prevx1r are the most feature rich but i havent tried either antihook or ssm and cant comment on them. i dont like prevx since its too much for my needs ands it has to scan my disk (whitelist??). i do like processguard however due to its simplicity but it may not provide as much protection as teh other solutions.

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Core Force.

5. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

would winpooch be considered a "hips"?

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I have ProcessGuard free and WinPatrol, and sometimes I also turn on Arovax Shield if I tries visiting some unknown suspects sites. ;) :cool:

They work "harmoniously smooth" in my pc. :D :D

7. stubbs100

stubbs100 Registered Member

Well it has to be Prevx1

It has a wider and broader range of capabilities then any other product on the market... :D

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

System Safety Monitor gets my vote hands down easy.

It's only half-way to it's full potential IMO and is already very formidable.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just remember 2 mmore products,

Winpooch
    Neoava beta

Also SSM i think will not remain free anymore!

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Prevx1 here.. wraps everything up into one program, and just gets better with every release.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Ooops, my bad; That is very true, in fact i suppose you could say it's not even freeware while in beta since it has a "time limit" of 60 days, so we can throw that one out of the poll completely.

On Neoava beta i attempted an install with it but at the point it connected with the services part of it the PC repeatedly rebooted. I tried to dance around that issue on my own a few different ways untill it was just no more use. Keep in mind it likely crashed that way due to other safety apps incompatibility.
    Prevx1 gave the same results. I have no doubt thozse 2 are really effective HIP programs and i look forward to seeing how they respond to my tests once i get either of them to take.

When theres more time i'll attempt another install because it seems useful enough. Liked the setup and layout plus app & process rules part.
    Other apps in question were CyberHawk, SSM, InfoProcess, FileChangeAlarm where that combo is stable.

So after all that i'll change my answer to CyberHawk.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2006
  12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think You are right.

I used it for a while, but the problem is that it does not seem to make any noise, and I am not sure when it is silent, it is really doing something or not? May be someother member can tell more.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But it makes my system a bit slow. What is your feeling?

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm only using Arovax Shield, but still looking for a better one...

Maybe the new version of AntiHook or the final version of CyberHawk feets what I would like in a HIPS program...

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Not on mine, but then I'm not running any other apps that do the same things..

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Anti Hook,it has a quirky learning process but once set,works nicely,also comes with good rule maker.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Fire up some secured trojan tests or dll injection methods and watch it go to work.

Personally for me that silence is golden, it sits quietly without taxing anything in system whatsover and reacts to dangers when introduced.

It's usually the first responder on my system over SSM and/or InfoProcess when i affect the system with some tests. It's a Terminator also!

18. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I can't speak for the others, but I'm happy with prevx free.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To me also and for all infact silence is golden, I was just mentioning as I did not make any tests, so I don,t know how much it is effective, is there any websites where I can safely test my HIPS.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  20. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I've actually been dying to give CyberHawk a whirl, but Prevx1 R has been pretty silent on my system, only using more than 10 megs of memory when I'm installing. That is the only time I ever experience a slowdown with Prevx.

Had a few problems with it in the beginning with heavy cpu usage, but support quickly solved and patched the problem 2 days after.

21. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Antihook is pretty sweet, learning process makes it take up a lot of ram when it learns a lot, but a logoff and re logging in solves that. It has a great deal of control, and runs light :thumb:

Prevx1 causes my system to slowdown on login, bootup, starting apps, etc. Also, whenever it blocks something, it displays an annoying popup box that can't be disable, so when you have an app like jetaudio that randomly adds then deletes startup entries and you tell prevx to block it, 100 little popups are opened for you to have the joy of closing:cautious: I also don't like the fact that you can't configure what prevx does, you just get to look at it. pretty dumb if you ask me.

SSM is nice, but the looming threat of it becoming payware is not nice

ProcessGuard is good, but offers MINIMAL protection and has a bit too many running processes for me.

Alphalutra1

22. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I pretty much agree with Alpha here . Prevx would be great if it were not for the slowdowns . Ah is excellent . PG is a bit minimal and SSM is pretty nice but , ............:cool:

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have few questions, if somebody can answer,
    1- Like PG free, does AH also protects process termination and modification.
    2- Is there any extra advantage of AH, if I am using Jetico.

Thanks

24. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Um . Yes and yes .

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I voted SSM, as I had it for a while. I don't think it's fair to compare PG free to the others: It is really designed to work as a full version. The reasons I switched from SSM to PG Full are that SSM will eventually become payware, and IMO PG is more user friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.