Best free HIPS right now?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Monkey_Feces, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have to reiterate System Safety Monitor again because i dropped my AV for it when it first came out and it intercepted intrusions perfectly. Combine that with another HIPS and an AV has no work to do at all.

If i'm imagining my results to this i'm wide open to opinions to the contrary.

2. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

You should not run SSM and ProSecurity together ! What are you thinking?

3. Get

Get Guest

Use System Safety Monitor free and Processguard free and there won't be must time configuring (Learn-modes). I use SSM Full with PG free and have not encountered any issues so I guess the same will go for SSM free/PG free.

4. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

I tried cyberhawk for a few days and I have some serious problems with it bogging my computer to a crawl down whenever i try to install something. I always had to resort to pressing the reset button on my tower. I tried out SSM, Spyware Terminator and Prevx1 to replace it. I liked the last 2, but SSM was a bit too time consuming to learn (I have spent way too much time reading help files and tutorials in the last few days). Anyway, does Prevx1 offer similar protection to ST's realtime defense? I would rather keep my suite limited to Avira, sandboxie, comodo, prevx1, and one on-demand scanner with AVG AS.

5. Monkey_Feces

I appreciate the advice, but I would rather use simpler apps. Even after using SSM's learning mode, to learn my startup programs, I still got popups while idling on my desktop.

*Edit I will probably try SSM again after my Prevx1 trial runs out. I just find myself wasting too much time searching things on google to respond to all my alerts. Such alerts that made me pull my hair out were false positives from ZAP's component control about me having a keylogger on company of heroes, how I was warned that my hardware drivers were observing my activities, and when I got popups from 2 different apps asking me to allow whenever i opened up something(process guard, and ZAP).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  6. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

You can suspend Cyberhawk when installing something. I don't remember it slowing My PC down when doing that.

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

True and Safe PC Security requires some effort, not much, but additional time to familiarize yourself with just what's going on with your computer (internet) on a daily basis. SSM affords gret flexibility and is a valuable learning program too. If it's too much hassle then leave it for a Prevx1 or other that will pretty much do everything on it's own. Theres no two ways about it, SSM once you set the rules will stop popping up unless there is some caution that requires serious attention. Otherwise your attention will focus only on that as an annoyance. Simply put.

The internet is like a bad neighborhood where you must always keep one eye open and stay fully alert to make your way thru it. Thats just the nature of how it stands right now.

There are many apps though that can make up that slack and become the eyes for you. I think that's what you prefer and theres nothing wrong with that really.

Examine the choices suggested here and you will find just what you need to make your experience what you expect it to be with minimum effort on your part.

8. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I'm currently using DefenseWall HIPS and I like the methodlogy. Not as intrusive on the alerts yet very powerful in not allowing stuff to happen. Pretty amazing program, at 1st I was skeptical since I'm so use to being alerted of every little detail happening on my machine. I would recommend this program to anyone that wants an easy to use and powerful defense. Memory usage is low as well, 6,000k or less. I mainly use this program for detection of unknown file and registry entries but as a bonus it does STOP bad .exes' and processes assossiated with it from doing anything to your system. :) However it doesnt remove the traces of the files that get created by the baddies, but then for me a clean restore would be in order. Its much faster to detect system changes than it is to run a full virus, malware, trojan, and RK scan and hope they 110% clean everything. (FACT)

9. Get

Get Guest

o_O Strange, because when you start/close all the stuff you use and reboot your pc (twice) while in learning mode there shouldn't be much popups anymore, unless you use a lot of new software regularly.

10. Monkey_Feces

I decided to give SSM an extended try. After using it, I realized it was a less informative, but more powerful cyberhawk. E.G. - Instead of asking me once per program launch about whether or not I trust the program to resources a keylogger would use (Starting some Microsoft services), SSM asks me to allow or block the library unhooker thingamabob and the explorer.exe parent access to *insert any .dll file*. Honestly, all I do is click allow because all of these parent and application warnings popup during installations. Would it be redundant to have Prevx1 running at the same time to discern whether an app might be malicious, or should I just migrate back to Prevx1 altogether?

Also, would a HIPS and antivirus real time scanner negate the need for Spyware terminator's real time services? Many people have already recommended it, but I would like to keep my system resources as available as possible since I mostly game on my computer.

11. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Prefer my FF - Noscript - Sandboxie - Powershadow setup so far but am considering a hips.

Defensewall IMHO is the best available HIPS atm but on reading the Neoava blog I just may try the new version when released.

Will be interesting to see the fellas over here get hold of it and see if they can tear it to pieces!

http://www.neoava.com/weblog.htm

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s Ok to do like this while using legitimate programes/ launching applications on ur system as it will make permanant rules but while installing software it is useless. Either disable application rules while installing some software or choose allow once only in pop up.
    Full version has an install mode though.

13. jawadde

jawadde Registered Member

im searching for a program that allows me to put some files (like a file that i downloaded) in a kind of "sandbox". What program should i use?

14. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Sandboxie?.. can also execute the file in a sandbox (incase you think its malicious)

15. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Yea, as dawgg said Sandboxie would work if your strictly looking for a sandbox. You might also consider DefenseWall, which is a Sandbox and HIPS of sorts.

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Any news on what Novatix's Cyberhawk is doing recently? I think they are still doing some beta testing but any feedback from Cyberhawk Support or others would be welcome.

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

About SandboxIE, 2.80 is out. Not official yet, he will wait to see if bugs are found. If not, it will be official.
    Sandboxie version 2.80 Released

Sounds like a big improvement:thumb:

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's running good here:)

19. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I would search the Sourceforge(dot)net projects for some very good, very stable HIPS, IDS and lockdown systems which use few system resources.

Dave

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Links are always welcome if you care to share a few of your finds.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t think u need more.
    SSM
    PS
    PG
    NG etc

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks for the note of confidence but this setup is for research interests at this point.

23. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Easter, I RECANT! Those apps work well for a few hours -- yea, even for a few days, after which time, one must restoreth much.

Dave

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks dw2108

I been around that block before too and didn't always find acceptable what was offered so i know the feeling.

25. joter

joter Registered Member

Eeye Blink Neighborhood Watch Edition is the today state-of-the-art HIPS.
    I use the personal Edition that is not free but very cheap and uses the Norman anti-virus engine.

Regards
    joter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.