Best Free Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Scoobs, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

I currently use Online Armor, which I've found to suit my needs very well.

My only complaints would be that it is sometimes a bit noisy, but not majorly, and not enough to put me off recommending it.

I was wondering if my reasons for picking it over others were valid though.

The others I considered (and reasons for rejecting them) were:-
    1. Sunbelt-Kerio Personal Firewall (apparently it tries to get you to register each time you switch on)
    2. Comodo firewall (apparently this can be quite noisy and also can conflict with other security progs - which makes it sound like Outpost which plagued me with its technical complexity)
    3. ZoneAlarm (I used to use this but nobody seems to mention it anymore)
    Does that sound like a fair summary?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

First answer: who knows.
    Second answer: what is your criteria, what do you know about TCP/IP, do you want process control and how much (strictly network activity related, or more).
    And so on.

3. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

What's needed is an integrated browser/firewall, or a method to integrate temporarily outbound network allows from the browser window (or better the taskbar) which would automatically revert to closed once the browser is closed. (like the NoScript "temporarily allow" 'script which disappears once FX is closed".
    Example. I have some server range blocks set into my firewall for some questionable outbound connections. The problem with that is that server range also has some needed "good" connections for some websites. You think this would be easy to solve by just adding a single IP network allow above this range block in the firewall. However, these "needed" IPs seem to arbitrarily rotate through quite a few individual IPs within that network range block. Comodo solved that somewhat in 3.0 by being able to group 'net rules and then assign them all a title. However, you still have open the 3.0 GUI and manually open the grouped "good" IPs within that range block, and then sometimes add more individual IPs. It would be nice just to be able to quickly toggle these needed network rules open/closed from either the browser window or from the bottom taskbar. ​
    I don't know what the best free firewall is. They all have their problems, whether free or paid. Sometimes I think I'm going to go back to not running a firewall or ZAfree, which is about the same.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Make a new group (B) with the ones you want to allow. Create a rule above the other one (block group rule A), TCP, that allows only port 80 (main http port) outbound, destination group B.
    Both rules are to be above all others, i think.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I use Online Armor Free in my XP install and like it a lot. It's user friendly and it has the "run safer" feature built-in so it's not necessary to use DropMyRights. I use Comodo FP v3 in Vista and I like it too. I was a little intimidated by CFP3 at first because I don't find the GUI intuitive, but I learned my way around it in a short time. One nice feature in CFP3 is the "install mode" which can be turned on during software installs to stop the pop-ups. It would be nice if OA had something similar since I find it can be a pain during installations. I would also say that CFP3 has been more stable for me than OA - fewer compatibility issues and updates.

6. DarrylW

DarrylW Registered Member

Online Armor has a Learning Mode which, I guess, would be equivalent to CFP3 Install Mode:
    http://www.tallemu.com/webhelp/LearningMode.htm

Darryl

7. subset

subset Registered Member

Just like DarrylW said, use the Learning mode, activate it before you start a installation and deactivate it after you finished it.
    Even with OA paid I prefer the Learning mode to the Install mode.

First, OA's Install mode sometimes loses the thread during installations and you will get multiple popups.
    Impossible with Learning mode.
    Second, much more important, you don't have to take care about installations which require a reboot, like display adapter drivers.
    Install mode doesn't work across a reboot, Learning mode is active until you disable it.

Cheers

8. Eh_Greg

Eh_Greg Registered Member

I find Comodo 2.4.18.184 can give you an easy way to lockdown local host, and other outbound.

CB.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  9. 3xist

3xist Guest

I also find Comodo Firewall Pro 3 good. The latest CFP 3 update seems to be extremely stable, looks like they ALMOST fixed all the major bugs. I also like the fact you can configure it to your needs, You can tweak it in any way you want, Which is good.

3xist

10. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

From the posts so far my choices seem to be online Armor or Comodo if I want to get moe advanced. I think Online Armor fits the bill well..

11. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

12. Eh_Greg

Eh_Greg Registered Member

Hi 3exist,

Is all logging for incomming & outgoing fully fuctioning now ? :)

CB

13. Bonzai

Bonzai Registered Member

The best free firewall is the hardware firewall included with your router. No bugs, no slowdowns, no cpu cycles, no memory no interference from other software. Add to that a good lightweight HIPS to control programs and outbound network access and you'll have a nice all round security setup. Unless of course if you have a laptop and are connecting to various untrusted access points.

14. waters

waters Registered Member

Best free firewall allowed,best free antivirus not allowed,can i ask why

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

PM a moderator.

16. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

That could change...
    The "this vs. that" got real old, and out of control. You know, flame-wars...
    just my 2c

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Best free firewall, depends...

software, personal pc, windows - I'd go for sygate or kerio 2.1.5.
    software, personal pc, linux, iptables - really really nice.
    software, router like, standalone, quite a few of them, I like smoothwall a lot.

Mrk

18. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I thought Online Armor was not free and a paid version.

19. Adric

Adric Registered Member

You have a choice.

Al

20. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Comodo V3 w/D+ for all the bells and whistles
    Ghostwall for minimal impact

21. 3xist

3xist Guest

+1 :thumb:

3xist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.