best free email service privacy wise

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by guest, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I just signed up for a vmail account to test. Very basic, not much functionality. I cant even see how to reply to an email? :argh:

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Thanks for looking into that. Good read.

PD

3. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

12 months? That's not good. Thanks for mentioning that.

5. sopranos_1964

sopranos_1964 Registered Member

first time user here. i hope this hasnt been answered yet, which one of these free,web based, secure providers should i look out that will let me use a android phone for my email and a java based cell phone? i have a zte warp on boostmobile and by the first of april maybe a lg reflex java based phone. i also use a library pc. my android is now wifi only. i will pay for the lg if i can use it on pay as you go. trying to decide which will let me access from android, java based lg reflex, pc from local librarys? which is most reliable? easy access from android, java phones?

6. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

Nice to see a company cut through the marketing & sales bs to interact with people on a humanistic level. They have my vote.

7. SBMe

SBMe Registered Member

Countermail, I have really liked your posts and I hope you keep them up. Very informative and you also tell it like it is.
    I just wish you offered a free email option like with 50-100mb of server storage and just plain text only with the encryption would be fine with me. Haven't looked at all your pages, but the ones I did looked good. I suppose with the free one you'd just have to keep all your messages on your own PC and not your servers (except the 50-100mb). Of course you could just start with 20-40mb and leave it at that until you get more paying customers. Just a thought. I'd probably only use it to see how it works and then just to sign up for VPN services to test them out. So very, very few emails in a month. Maybe 5 to 20?

Thanks for that post. Good info. I agree awkwardpenguin that they don't hold back and give good info.

However still being in the US I think is a mistake. I wouldn't doubt the next law, 4th thing after ACTA they'll come up with won't state that if you have logs from last 30-90 days you need to keep them. Of course if you don't already, then you're ahead of the game, but there still has to be some logging to keep track if some people are abusing your system.

Let's just hope that the last comment about Riseup and the "others" will release what he stated fairly soon. Then I wouldn't have a problem of using a US based one for anon type email.

-----

Thanks for all the posts and I hope this topic continues.

8. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

No, but I did make a test account and it worked as expected. I just liked it for the simple sign-up process (no personal details required) and for the simple user interface, in that it's not bloated with a bunch of unnecessary features.

Generally, if you sign up for and use a web-based email account anonymously, the logging policy of the provider in question shouldn't really be an issue anyway. I usually operate under the assumption that most web-based services (e-mail providers, forums, blogs, etc.) are keeping some form of logs regardless... so if I want to keep my IP address and/or other personal details private, then it's my responsibility to take the proper precautions.

Having said that, you're still probably better off signing up for an email provider in a country other than your own. For that I would recommend Free Email Providers - International as a good starting point. The site is a bit outdated, unfortunately, but many of the ones listed are still working.

Also, some VPN companies also provide anonymous email services. For example, here's one on oVPN's Lithuanian server: anomail.oVPN.to - Anonymous eMails. According to the TOS, all emails are stored with 4096-bit encryption and senders' IP addresses are excluded from the mail headers. :)

9. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

anomail sounds like an interesting option , but you have to pay up if you want pop3/smtp/imap support so thats a no go for me , 50mb is a little bit small for email storage and it only lets you send 15 emails a day as free user ;)

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Thought i would add a few things about CryptoHeaven ( i am not affiliated with them, just think they offer the best option out there) after reading your provided link.

- While the servers are located in Toronto, the company is registered in the "Commonwealth of Dominica" which appears to be a tax/privacy haven.

- Their source code is available to anyone freely on their website

- They use RSA & AES encryption

- Email "can" be sent securely to "non-CH users" encrypted via a passphrase

- CH ip in header, not yours.

- While not completely free, if you don't mind creating a new account every 3 months - can be used freely!

And - for those of you using Android, GPG can be achieved using the K-9 Mail & APG apps ;)

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

tobacco is in the HOUSE! :D

I thought you hit the road mate?

Sorry guys for the tiny little hijack, LOL...

YEAH I wish CounterMail would just give us poor lads a small small small, did I say SMALL? LOL, account... ;)

Cheers

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

No, just pickin my spots :D

That would be nice - even say just with 10 mb of space. You would think it would draw alot of new users with a good portion eventually upgrading if they really liked the service.

How bout free 10mb accounts for Wilder's Members with a minimum of 1,424 posts :D

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

10mb or 10gb? Lol!

15. fastriver

fastriver Registered Member

Hello guys!
    Does anyone use iCloud.com? How good is it?

16. PrivateSky

PrivateSky Registered Member

Hello, this is Brian from PrivateSky. We are a new secure information exchange service. It's not encrypted email, but it is secured messaging and managed file transfer using HTML5.

Some notable things that the Wilder's folks might be interested in:

PrivateSky is protected by the first HTML5 2 factor authentication solution, SkyPin, using elliptic curve cryptography that requires no browser plugin and nothing more from the user other than their email address (as login) and 4 digit pin.

SkyPin makes up part of Incognito Keys, the other part being SkyKey, our integrated identity based encryption key management solution which powers PrivateSky. Incognito Keys does what no other encrypted messaging service can do; guarantees that we CAN'T SEE YOUR DATA. PrivateSky has absolutely no way to physically comply with requests to decrypt information in the PrivateSky platform. No Hushmail leaks of information. Absolutely no backdoors.

If you are interested, you can read the white paper on the www.privatesky.me site.

The company behind PrivateSky is CertiVox. We're the people that produce the MIRACL open source cryptographic library, used by hundreds of organisations large and small to protect their information assets. Our chief cryptographer is Dr. Michael Scott, one of the pioneers in elliptic curve cryptography. PrivateSky utilises a number of advancements in the field, and...well, we think it's cool, cryptographically speaking. It's also really easy to use, more importantly.

We just launched our global beta so PrivateSky is now publicly available to all. PrivateSky will always remain free, even after we come out of beta period. Please help us; sign up for your own account, use the service, and give us feedback to make us better. We would really appreciate it!

Cheers!
    Brian

17. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I wanted to add this tidbit about the 3 month free CH accounts:

You can use the same account name/address every time you create a new account because each account has a unique code number by your email address.

So, if your address is say "JoeSmoe @ cryptoheaven.com", it doesn't matter if there are 1000 JoeSmoe's :D - each will have their own unique code number ;)

18. x942

x942 Guest

I can't find anything that beats GMail for security sadly. I've tried all the options in this thread and I can't stick with any of them. Does anyone know of a service that has two-factor authentication for log in and a good privacy policy?

I am so tempted to just setup my own e-mail server and use a yubikey for two-factor authentication. Would be so much better, at least I would no the "provider" doesn't sell my info. Sure it can be intercepted if I don't encrypt it but at least a warrant (not that it would happen) would to be served to me and not gmail.

Anyone have a good guide for a secure home mail server?

19. caspian

caspian Registered Member

LOL. That would be so cool to set up your own encrypted email service. I hope you do it.

20. x942

x942 Guest

I'm going to. I just want to make sure it's secure and won't put my LAN at risk. I will be using linux for sure and Full Disk Encryption on the server so I can just power off if I'm worried and all data is secure/encrypted. Not sure with mailer I'll use. I will probably set up a PGP server to transparently sign/encrypt all emails. I have a domain already so at least that's taken care of :D

21. syncmaster913n

syncmaster913n Registered Member

22. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Well, if it was Windows :D ... I use Ability Mail Server installed on a mounted TrueCrypt Hidden Container on Server 2008 R2. No-IP.com offers an MX record with their free service. I use a privacy oriented 'smart host' for SMTP out. I only accept TLS connections.

HMail was another I looked at. Of course, if you want to pay a little more, you can get a domain with an MX, SPF and DomainKey...and send right from your box (without the last two, some mail get's caught by spam filters).

But you're going Linux, so I haven't a clue :D

PD

23. HTTPS

HTTPS Registered Member

Yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Internet

Employees lose their job if they look inside a private email account. First active if law enforcement knock at the door.

24. HTTPS

HTTPS Registered Member

@Countermail

http://tormail.net/

"CM is right, no one will go to jail for you." - own goal. CM implied. :D

@fastriver

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4865

If you have an iPhone you get one free 'your-chosen-pseudonym'@icloud.me email and 5 GB storage.

Your own iPhone is a Hardware-Token for authorization. The device’s serial number and the UDID are the keys connecting the Apple server. AES encrypted.

No manual login - open the app and finished.

25. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

For normal anonymous surfing I think Tor services is ok, but personally I would not use Tor (or any service based on Tor) for sensitive stuff, one reason is that you place trust in an anonymous third party, and TorMail is not supported by the official Tor project. I agree with this post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1959777&postcount=12 in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1959777

Sorry, but i'm not sure what you mean here o_O

/Simon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.