best free combo for x64?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Incognito, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incognito

Incognito Registered Member

Right now I'm running microsoft security essentials with comodo IS without the virus scan. Looking for suggestions though.

I just read about panda cloud av, and Im thinking maybe

real-time av: panda cloud av
    on demand: antivir if offline
    firewall & hips: comodo

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

So MSE is now compatible with x64?

Yes, Panda Cloud is compatible with x64.

If you add ShadowDefender, we have almost the same setup :D

3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

MSE is one of the few real 64bit available av's. Panda is 32bit. So if you want a real 64bit system you already have the right choice.

4. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Ah. So MSE is x64 compatible :D

BTW, Panda Cloud is also x64 compatible. Tested and proven :thumb:

5. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

For my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium I also use Shadow Defender but Shadow Defender is not free. I would suggest Returnil free edition and Comodo Firewall without defense +. I personally am using Shadow Defender and Comodo without defense+ and with no antivirus guard running. I occasionally scan with MalwareBytes Antimalware free.

With my setup, I don't have to worry about viruses, trojans, programs calling home after passing my virus check. Pretty secure I think.

SourMilk out

6. Jav

Jav Guest

for those of you who use shadow defender (or Returnill) as real time security.
    How you install programs, update programs, windows, AV, AS, save games and so on.

Have you put some folders for auto exclude.
    For exemple to windows being able to update put Windows folder to exclude.
    To programs being able to update and installed putting Program Files (or spcefic program folder) or if program is installed only for local user then User folder (or atleast App data)
    And games save folders and so on.

Then if do so, it will open lots of valnurable points.

I am just curious and maybe in future will use it, but now I see lots of interactions with my routine.

How you guys manage it?

P.S. sorry for slight off topic

7. skylite

skylite Registered Member

i would use avira Antivir Personal,comodo,prevx free & malwarebyte for detection,removal i will do manually :(,other prevention is using online virus scan and sandbox,
    online virus scan : virustotal.com
    - http://virusscan.jotti.org/en
    - http://onlinescan.avast.com/
    online sandbox :
    - http://www.sunbeltsecurity.com/Submit.aspx?type=cwsandbox&cs=A41CD150B37359889A553671CBFD2360
    sunbelt sandbox is differ than others,it doesn't run on virtualize platform,it runs on their native os,this would be good for vm-aware virus,malware,etc.
    [edited]
    lol forgot,there is already list : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=242949

Most common practice the kiddies spreading viruses is :
    - USB data exchange -> Always scan for any usb devices plugged
    - Exploiting trust(friends,families,relatives,etc) - reverse engineering! -> Trust no one!,scan everything even-tough your wife giving you an exe!her account could be hacked or she just jealous :D
    - Security Breach a.k.a hacked/cracked -> Always update your windows,server/daemon software,never run buggy server software!
    - PHP script - don't run any unknown phpscript released by unknown people lol,sometime it contains php shell!,especially those nulled script,always review the php script!the php shell could be used to 'implant' the viruses/malware in your server/desktop.
    - If the exe not detected as virus/malware doesn't mean it safe! -> check on other antivirus scan result,upload it on ex : virustotal.com
    - Never save your online detail(password,credit card,etc) in firefox,ie,opera,etc! -> use your brain to remember it.
    - Nothing is 100% absolute security,if you don't want get infected turn off your pc.

some more guide here : http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/ , haven't checked which one is 32 or 64...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Best free / lightest combo for lazy paranoids (meaning high protection without pop-ups and fuzzy configuration) would be:

1. UAC or LUA
    2. Returnil free with embedded AV (Frisk) enabled
    3. WIndows firewall two way with Win7FireWallControl (or my lazy way first install Win7FWControl, run all application using internet or updates through internet, write down the allowed applications, make windows FW 2-way using Stem's post and remove Win7FWControl afterwards).
    4. Windows Defender with Execute Applications (7th tick box option of WinDef) disabled, this reduced CPU overhead to 1 sec total CPU time and total I/O less than 13 MB)
    5. Keyscrambler free for IE
    6. IE8 in protected mode with cross scripting/phising/smart screen protection enabled

For normal operations run normal, for dodgy browsing eneable returnil

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.