Best FREE AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jaxson, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizard

wizard Registered Member

For independent tests you may want to have a look on one of these sources:

VirusBulettin http://www.virusbtn.com
    AV Test http://www.av-test.org
    University of Hamburg http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc/eng.htm

Hope this helps you. :)

wizard

2. wbheath

wbheath Guest

Wizard does not know what he is talking about when it comes to APVE.

Wildman

Thanks (Danke)

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I don't know about that but hes showing the facts.

Earth - Fact - Round

Technodrome

4. Wildman

Wildman Guest

What facts? For free AVPE is most likley the best virus protection program available. If you can prove there is another one that is better with more options, support and updates, for free then show it. I have not found one yet. If one wants to pay then yes there are better virus protection programs, but for free AVPE is the way to go.

Thanks (Danke)

Wildman

5. Technodrome

Can you prove that AVPE is better then rest of free ones?

Technodrome

6. Wildman

Wildman Guest

I don't have to prove it, it speaks for itself. I also didn't make the remarks about AVPE that Wizard did. It is Wizard who needs to indicate a better free virus protection program than AVPE. (NAME THE PROGRAM)!

If you want proof, just download and use the other free anti virus programs for an extended period of time, chances are you will return to AVPE. The others come no where near to the same functions as AVPE, nor do they update their program any where near as often as does AVPE.

Thanks (Danke)

Wildman

7. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Sorry to get in the middle of this AVPE thing but AVPE don't even scan incoming or outgoing emails. I looked at the web site and found nothing saying when the last update was. Like I stated before for the price of free AV I would run with Avast!4.

8. Wildman

Wildman Guest

Sorry but I see no support for AVAST. If you look at the BB for AVPE, you will find all the info you need. Could the administration for AVPE be better? The answer to that question, sadily is yes. However as I said, for free, this so far is the best source for Virus/Torjan/Worm protection that I have found on the NET/WEB. If you have a better one, post the info on this BB. Thus far, no one has done so in my opion.

Thanks (Danke)

Wildman

9. xor

xor Guest

LOL before you say such thinks, learn first how to write trojan.

PS: Do you have any facts for this ? Or is this all your own experience ?

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Avast support is VERY good, in my experience. They have also set up a help forum on their website, and their developers regularly stop by this board asking questions about how to make their product better.

I don't think there's any question Avast has good support.

11. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Wildman
    Are you in any way related to Adiel( the AGV story), perhaps a brother??
    :D :D
    Sorry just joking.
    I do not know much about AVPE, and will not comment further ;)
    Regards
    Ole

12. Wildman

Wildman Guest

For what it is worth, I just down loaded AVPE's new release and ran the program. The program checked 1,057 folders, 41,131 files and took 32:18 minutes doing so. Now this is even better than my old pay virus program could do. I ask you, for FREE, what more could one ask for. Yes, there may be better virus programs, but not for FREE that I have found. If you know of a FREE virus program better than AVPE, post it's information on this BB. :rolleyes:

Thanks (Danke)

Wildman

13. wizard

wizard Registered Member

F-Prot for DOS? :) You can compare the results of AntiVirPE and F-Prot (assume FP-Win has the same results as F-Prot for DOS) from this tests:
    http://www.av-test.org/online/sites/os01.php3?test=2002-01&lang=&js=1

wizard

14. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I'd choose F-Prot Dos over over Antivir any day, although it may not have an on access scanner it would still give me more confidence.

15. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hello again!

Notageek said:
    *doesn't

Actually, yes it does. Incoming and outgoing. Perhaps you were refering to an earlier edition?

Oh, and BTW, it does heuristic scanning as well as unpacking most archives.

How does AVPE/AntiVir compare to other AV's? Check this link here:

The Miser's Desk Set: Free AV Scanners

Best regards from Larry :)

16. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Thanks for the correction. :)

Is it true that AVPE have lot more False positives than AVG (I am in no way saying that I like AVG or telling people to use AVG over AVPE)? If that's the case wouldn't that make a person that's new to computers get really nervous thinking that they have a real virus?

17. Wildman

Wildman Guest

O.K. where is the support for f-prot? How come it seems as if they only update their VDF program monthly? AVPE updates their VDF weekly, and more often if necessary. Which download would one use if they wanted to try f-prot? Looked confusing to me. o_O :D :cool:

Thanks (Danke)

Wildman

18. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, the site I use for F-Prot is: http://www.f-prot.com/download/index.html (you can download the application and the virus definition updates from there).

Here are the updates since January 1, 2003 for the two different types of virus signature files produced in support of F-Prot. There are also much more frequent updates put out via a beta cycle, but I don't have the link handy as I only use F-Prot for DOS as a backup, on-demand scanner, and don't feel the need to use the beta sigs. As you can see, these aren't really on any kind of set schedule.

Application/Script viruses and Trojans signature file updates...

01/08/03
    01/09/03
    01/20/03
    01/28/03
    01/30/03
    02/03/03
    02/11/03
    02/18/03
    02/24/03
    02/25/03
    02/28/03

Document/Office/Macro viruses signature file updates...

01/06/03
    01/20/03
    01/28/03
    02/03/03
    02/11/03
    02/17/03
    02/25/03
    03/03/03

They seem to come out when there is a need for them, rather than on a schedule.

19. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:DGAV IT FREE it looks cool and its geting updated almost as much as TDS for freeware thats really really good

as an alpha it got a rateing of 4 compare to all other freewares out there gav is now in its beta stage so lol do the math lol

20. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Its a nice looking programme Mr Blaze but I must be a few sheep short in the pastuere as I gave up trying to download the new updates etc . Just got into a loop with Gav saying I hadnt registered when I had . I tried following the thread on the download but it didnt gel for me . I think when the automatic updates (if they already arnt ) happen that would possibly not discourage so many newbies like me .As im sure Im not alone with this issue .

21. Technodrome

Wildman, you need to do more research. See LowWaterMark post.

Technodrome

22. dqa

dqa Registered Member

Hi Notageek,

Regarding your enquiry, actually AVPE nowadays is *much* less prone to false positives than it used to be, though of course we get a few.

This thread has taken off , eh? The thing is, most people try a few AVs and settle with one which they like, which suits their individual circumstances (PC and pocket), and that they have a good feeling about. Human beings aren't always rational, if rationality is modelled according to the processes of calculating machines...or PCs. ;)

But some mutual tolerance is advisable.

It would be a boring world if everybody used and liked the same things, after all... :D

dqa
    :cool:
    and in another incarnation

Chris H.
    AVPE bbs

:)

23. root

root Registered Member

Naawww......... You're pulling my leg right? :D :D

24. wizard

wizard Registered Member

The frequency of database updates does nothing say about the quality of a product. Also I understand that you like to support GAV. But for those who don't know the software you should mention a little bit more that it is 'still under development'. In the future it might be a powerfull antivirus software but in the current stage GAV is not able to cover the Wildlist (www.wildlist.org) due to the fact that the development of the scanengine is not that far to deal with all types of available virus/malware types.

And before somebody gets again something wrong here. This is not to blame GAV or to 'attack' the development of GAV. I am looking forward to see in a final version. I just want to get the facts right: In the current stage it is not enough to fully protect against ITW malware and therefore any other free antivirus solution discussed here (including AntiVirPE ;)) is at the moment the better choice if it really comes to malware protection and not to have an additional (second? third?) malwarescanner to play around/test with.

wizard

25. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

GAV no longer requires registration in this phase of the Beta testings...daily updates are now smaller.
    If you have an Alpha version that did require registration.. uninstalling it would be your best bet.
    Anyone who you then like to continue will find the current one available for download.

GAV should not be coming up in a thread that is about the BEST FREE AV at this point in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.