Best FREE AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jaxson, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaxson

jaxson Registered Member

Well I have an Athlon 700 with 256RAM, it's just I like a clean, smooth running system. I'll try it out though.

2. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Out of all my virus program tests I found Avast!4Pro to perform the best out of all of them.

Only reason I have now purchased Kaspersky is due to it's very good archive/packer support.

I believe Avast is going to improve this a lot in the next version.

Avast is still top of my list though.

Fedorov.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I like Avast a lot. It is very unobtrusive, updates are almost unnoticeable (wheres I had to reboot to update signatures in antivir, don't know if they improved that design flaw).
    Pity you have to reboot to finish installing the engine update :doubt:

Big plus: they also sell this same product, so engine en updates better be good :p

4. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Registered Member

Wiseguy
    Well, hell if you don't have that you are pretty doomed from the start, right;) Ok, I'll include this link with my advice with the added advice to chose ignored items and use the search function to find all the junk enteries.

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.php

The above is needed if you want to play with apps and keep your room clean.

5. jaxson

jaxson Registered Member

I tried Avast, interface was okay and i'm sure detection is etc... But I really hate bloatware, it had like 4 processes running, the main one 25MB of memory, the others between 6-8MB, far far too much, I thought NAV was bad!

Back to AVG for now. 2 processes each just over 1MB of memory :)

Actually why does it have these 2 processes? 1 of them is the control centre which is fine.

The other is avgserv.exe, it's running at startup as a service, what does this do? Is it needed, or can I turn it off?

6. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Well, I'm not going back to AVG. It's not a good AV IMHO. As a test on my old machine I ran AVG as my main AV to see what happens.Yep ran as my main and got a virus (thank god for NAV to back me up there). I got this virus over that 2 weeks that they didn't even update. I say way pay for AVG if they won't update the pay version weekly. Anyway as for a free AV I would have to say run with the system hog, Avast. lol

7. adiel

adiel Registered Member

Thats strange..i am using AVG for a long time and its the best...caught all the viruses and even trojans on my pc..performed much better than nod32...

i would say AVG is the best as its so light you will never even notice its running until it will pop up a screen telling you about some virus or trojan.

8. Luthorcrow

I am curious did you upload any of these viruses to a virus expert to verify that they were actually virii? I only ask becuase AVG is famous for false positives. I found the trojan claim a bit dubious considering that is one of AVG's biggest weakness among other forms of malware.
    Example:
    AV-Test.Org Test Test 2002-01 (Clients)
    Trojans 15,6%
    Backdoors 62,2%

As for NOD32, what do you have to support that claim? Honestly it sounds pretty outrageous. Do you have a link?

9. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

The world is full of stories that one scanner found several virii that another missed and personally I disbelieve them all unless proof is available, Just ask Rod, he recieves several emails a day stating the exact same thing.

Results speak for themselves, I believe impartial test results over hearsay and gossip everytime.

Kev

10. adiel

adiel Registered Member

first of all i did'nt uploaded...do you believe i should have stopped AVG from deleting them and kept them on my pco_O

secondly i was infected by a trojan backdoor.delf.....it comes with "ispynow"..its a keylogger....nod32 did'nt detected it..AVG did.

your last one i did'nt understood..what linko_O
    i am not talking about any test....i am talking about performance on my pc..
    but if you want some results go to
    http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=494&mode=thread&order=0

AVG did better than Nod32 here.

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

First of all, NOD32 is a specific antivirus - and in that context outperforms AVG by miles. Virusbulletin is the proof of the pudding for years in a row - as it is for AVG's performance.

Roman is testing antiviruses within the context of results as for trojans backdoors etc. in particular.

As stated before: NOD32 is in principal the king as for ITW viruses. AVG is overall no more than a mediocre antivirus. IMHO it's up to the user to make up his mind: using the best ITW antivirus - being NOD32 - in conjunction with a top notch antitrojan (like for example TDS), or stick to a mediocre antivirus having a mediocre line in defense on all fields, viruses, trojans, backdoors etc alike.

regards.

paul

12. Luthorcrow

Similar Debate

Funny, I am involved in a similar but more involved debate on this AVG subject at the site below.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120667&pagenumber=1

What continues to bother me about this whole AVG debate are two basic things:

1. AVG is recommend like the holy bible to newbies at various forums. Always highly recommened and not a single voice to the contrary.

2. AVG supporters never produce any facts, studies, tests, or supporting evidence. It always boils down to something on the order of "It works for me" or "I like it" or "it caught this virus on my machine." I have yet to have a single person produce a scrap of evidence to support their argument. Bahhh.

13. Paul Wilders

Luthorcrow,

Had a brief glance at the thread. Just let me state this: as soon as Opaserv turned up, our support has been bombarded with AVG users in despair, having their systems compromised - and we have not been the only ones - just one of many examples. Nuff said. In case people are happy campers using AVG, so be it. Lots of them have learned the hard way in the meanwhile :rolleyes:.

regards.

paul

14. notageek

This seems to be a saying that goes around on forums. "You get what you pay for." lol :D

15. Paul Wilders

Couldn't agree more. IMHO opinion the culprit as for those lacking funds to actually buy reliable security software is the fact, they should be aware (for example) free antiviruses merely "do the job" in a mediocre way. As long as that awareness exists and users are perfectly aware of the fact their system(s) can be compromised easily: that's a matter of choice. Creating a false sense of security in believing such an app actually will do the job would be a major mistake - happens all the time, unfortunately.

regards.

paul

16. notageek

You're right Paul, it happens all the time. What I would to know is what's does the PAy version of AVG offer that The free version don't?

17. Paul Wilders

Have a look at their home page in regard to the commercial version ;). That said: far better solutions are available.

regards.

paul

18. notageek

LOL they don't offer more to the pro from the free version.

19. sig

sig Registered Member

Yes, AVG's performance is not due to the fact that it is freeware since as far as detection goes it is qualitatively the same as the payware version.

Its popularity is that there is a freeware version, it's easy to use and light on resources for older machines. When the freeware IPE was discontinued (and became EZ Antivirus) many IPE users switched to AVG and spread the word. If one is extremely careful, perhaps it may be adequate. But for an average user it's not IMO. And to pay for the Pro version which just has a few more features but the same detection performance, no way.

From what I've seen here KAV Lite for $20 might be the best deal for performance and price.

20. notageek

If I was to go with a free AV alone it would be Avast!4.

21. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

Hi everyone! Can someone tell how Avast 4 Home and AVG 6 have got their 4/5 stars in the wilders.org/free tools category? :eek:

As almost everybody have seen the results of independent tests (VB, av-test.org, Rokop security etc.) with AVG 6, they are not very imposing! :eek:

About Avast 4 that was more understandable, when there have been only some tests yet. :eek: :cool:

See the links this below!

(http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=501&mode=thread&order=0)

(http://www.hackfix.org/miscfix/icons-av-all.shtml)

As we can see in those tests, there is not pure virus test in it, only macrovirus category (96 macros/of all 5 490 viruses) that Rokop usually tests (1 of the all 6 virus category).

In Trojans detecting and packed Malware Avast 4 was quite good (11/100 packed was actually better than the most av:s are capable to scan, like Norton 2003, Pc-Cillin 9, NOD32, F-Prot Win 5.12, Norman 5.40 or AVG 6 for instance), as we can see in those tests and that test below.

(http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=494)

So, where is the "beef"? o_O :rolleyes:

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

22. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Perhaps it is cos they are the best free ones. ;)
    Its the free tools section you know.
    Regards
    Ole :)

23. Paul Wilders

Bingo, Ole ;).

regards.

paul

24. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

25. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Hi Wizard!

Vlk asked you:
    And you responded with:
    *independent

Could you be more specific here? What independent tests? When were these conducted and by whom? What were the results? Please provide supported facts, not suppositions nor opinions.

Thank you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.