Best free anti-virus software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by daf, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: :D Could we all agree that no virus protection program be it FREE or PAY is 100% accruate? Thus it would boil down to that with which one could feal comfortable in using. Is this thus far a correct statement?

If what I have said is true, then I ask this question. Why would one want to drive a B.M.W. when a V.W. would survice? This in my humble opinion is what AntiVir/PE is asking you to accept. It is a known fact that their download capabilities leave quiet a bit to be desired. It is a known fact that some times you can use the servers and other times it is imposible to do so. This is not a new situation either. Is this correct or not also? It is a known fact that individuals have been asking for inhancements to AntiVir/PE for quiet a few years now also. What inhancements have been seen with AntiVir/PE? It is a known fact that the parent company of AntiVir/PE was offered a chance of help in some of these items. Did H+BEDV (parent company of AntiVir/PE) take advantage of any of these offers?

Perhaps some of this will at least get you to think, and then again perhaps not.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :(

"There is none so blind as he who will not see".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I would answer Daf as follows:-

1. There is no difficulty in installing two AVs to try them out, so long as you don't attempt to have them both in Residence in your system tray at the same time (if you do they will fight each other and you will have real problems).

2. If you try a paid for AV for 30 days then at the end you will probably want to keep it - which means forking out the dosh! If you don't pay up you will have an AV which becomes increasingly useless with time, since you will be unable to update it. I wouldn't recommend going from AV to AV on 30 day trials wherever you can get it, because there may be implications with the uninstalling of these things.

3.There are so many good freebies discussed in other parts of this (and other) Forums that it is hard to know what to start recommending. I think a Registry Monitor is a good idea so check out WinPatrol (and if you have Spybot S&D make use of the Tea Timer) and you may also consider protecting your firewall with ProcessGuard from DiamondCS.

4. Kaspersky Anti-Hacker is their version of a firewall, is not free,and should not be top of your list of must haves.

In all this talk of free AVs, what you need to ask is do the people who use them keep 'clean'. If the answer is 'yes' you really can't ask for more! But please don't forget that computer repair shops are full of machines that have paid for AVs, like Norton, installed yet still get infected. Why - because common sense and defensive browser settings are always going to protect you better than your AV however good it is!

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i installed a 30 day trial of KAV5 awhile ago, when i uninstalled it it left behind alternative data streams, which stopped system restore working, as well as having the streams in the first place none of this was explained, i dont think, before i installed KAV5. the streams can be removed afterwards however, so its not as bad as it might sound. and things maybe different now. also, for me KAV5 really slowed down my computer.

having said all that KAV, from what ive heard is very good,. and yes for those 30 days you would have better protection if the trial lets you use it as it should be used (daily updates etc. ask anyone else in this thread about that, they all know alot more then i do about the various programs then i do, but, perhaps security expert. ;) :D )

what are you planning on doing? you sound like you are up to something

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger, and here for more discussions.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

5. wildman

:D :rolleyes: o_O I see no reply to my last post from this all knowing individual, why is that? Gee from the date he shows as becoming a member of this BB, he must have a wealth of information as to what AntiVir/PE and it's parent company has been all about for these past years. He can tell us all about it, correct? In fact I see no reply to my last post from anyone who was so certain that the wildman was full of it. Could it be that the wildman has some valid points and none of these individuals want to admit it?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :ninja:

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Evidently Topper has chosen to ignore you, which is sometimes the best approach to dealing with a forum troll when the Mods are being *longsuffering*.;)

7. wildman

:rolleyes: :eek: Or is it because he and you can not address the facts of my last post, and like a certain bird have buried your heads in the dirt?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes:

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If you'll promise that it really is your LAST post, I will be happy to answer it. :cool:

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I do think it is time to put aside the personal comments about other posters in the thread or I will be forced to close it. Just a word to the wise

bigc

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Gentlemen, place nice or not at all...

Cheers :D

11. wildman

:blink: O.K., but I want each point that I made in that post addressed, and not a one skiped. If you are willing to do that, my post about AntiVir/PE are at an end, if not I continue to bash AntiVir/PE. Are we in agreement?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :blink:

12. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Come on now Wildman, pack your bags and just leave this forum and dump your crap elswhere. Nobody is waiting for this kind of discussions.

:mad: Putin

13. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

I do believe the daf's questions have been answered, and some great suggestions given that I hope he will find useful.

However, the unfortunate thing with these types of threads is the possibility of them going off topic. This seems to be what has happened to this thread now with insults being exchanged.

That said, I will now lock this thread.

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.