Best free anti-virus software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by daf, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:mad: Tell me why should one have to configure a damn thing to do what they would like, when other FREE virus programs allow you to do the same thing from the get go? RANTS, you damn right! Some people are just so damn blind.

:mad: My donkey is outside, and you can kiss it any time you want.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :mad: :p

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i'll do that, i could have looked at that option 100 times and never thought of that
    :D

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Wildman, keep it nice and friendly please ;)

Cheers :D

4. wildman

:rolleyes: :eek: O.K. lost my temper there for a minute. Yes AntiVir/PE is FREE and I guess I shouldn't be that concerned about it. I told on the AntiVir/PE BB and I think I may have posted something here at Wilders also, the thing that makes me sad and perhaps angry also is thoes who follow blind. It is, and I have indicated my opinion the reason there are so many problems in the world. If you have figured out what the hell I am talikng about, you got the message, if not, nothing I write or say will matter.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :p

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thats why i use AntiVir, when i get around to loading up thunderbird, why should i have to spend time configuring AVG or Avast? and what about email notifcations too to get the registration number? i know both those points apply to one or both AVG and Avast

6. Blackspear

Agreed, we were not designed to be sheep ;) We were made with a brain to think, explore and build a better world...

7. Blackspear

Not really, you don't have the right to complain about a "free" product or service, it is just that; FREE. However offering to help improve that free product or service is a good thing...

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Amen to that ;)

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i agree with that, but i also think that if the place round the corner has food just as good, but quicker service i'd go there instead ROFLOL :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. Blackspear

LMAO, indeed, but that is called choice ;)

11. wildman

ICENI60: I use AVG. All I had to do was install it, indicate what options I wanted and I haven't done a thing to it since, except download the updates, and that by the way is a breeze. I thought this would apply to all who used it, which was sure much better than what I had to do to use AntiVir/PE. FREE lunch and much better service, I had found a better eating establishment. If this isn,t your experience, then I do say sorry.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :D

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yep, and right now i like AntiVir, however, if (is it AVG or Avast, i get them muddled up) the new free version, right now its BETA 7, which will be a released in Nov, Dec is better i'll switch to that.

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

like i said in an earlier post i dont spend too much time thinking about anti-virus programs, and if you can convince me that AVG is better i'll change. however, the updating of antivir doesnt bother me. all i care about is detection rates, and so far i like antivir's detections. does AVG have better detection rates from reliable sources?

14. The Maxx

The Maxx Registered Member

Best free AV I've used would be avast! Home.

15. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hi,

What does " detection rates " really mean?

If you mean to ITW viruses/worms (real-world-dangerous threats accepted by antivirus experts) then go to ICSA Labs website and you'll see that AVG, Avast and AntiVir have continuously certified or go to Virus Bulletin website and you'll see that AVG passed the latest test on Windows XP platform. These mean (at least) AVG, Avast and AntiVir can detect ITW virues/worms 100% that conducted by two most respect-reliable independent testers in the world. So, what's wrong with AVG, Avast and AntiVir ?

If you mean to overall detection rates that conducted by some virus collector or some websites (AntiVir may does better scores than AVG and Avast). So, it's (almost) useless and doesn't shed the real-world capability of AVs, detecting " Zoo malware or non-functional malware " are waste resources (bandwidth, CPU, RAM, HDD) and time. IMHO

When it comes to trojans, spyware and other malware so I think I haven't seen the test results that conducted by reliable independent testers. I haven't seen the ITW trojan, ITW spyware lists from the WildList Organization. I think most AVs can detect common trojans that are circulating (if not in the WildList) except KAV.

Better overall detection rate doesn't mean better protection in the real world.

- speed of updates
    - light or reasonable on resources
    - reliable and smooth operation
    - less false positive
    - fast response time
    - good proactive protection
    - good or reasonable support
    - detect real-threats (viruses/worms/trojans or some spyware) that circulating in the wild.

In my opinion, all above lists are useful in the real-world protection. If you operate free AVs properly and implement by other layered defence I think it's OK with the freebie. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It really does when the difference between getting infected and not just could that you AV has the ability to detect those not in the wild trojans and worms and viri that the free ones are not that good at. I don't know about you but my computer is to expensive to take a chance on a free antivirus program that is questionable at best. It is a personal preference if you think that kind of protection is good enough to protect your computer. In my experience I won't rely on a free av, the chances are just to great. But that is my personal preference

bigc

17. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To bigc73542 from Firefighter!

Against the most common nasties, trojan like malware, both Avast and/or AntiVir have some job to do to compete against not free av:s like NOD for instance, which may represent these not free programs in here.

Against Script like malware and Virii as a whole, they partly or totally can offer even wider protection than NOD for instance in my tests.

Post 6. link below.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50356

PS. Not all not free av:s can offer better overall protection than Avast or AntiVir for example, see eTrust EZ 7 in my link above.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

18. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments.

I see nothing above that would make me NOT to use AntiVir as a free on-demand BACKUP scanner (NOD32 is my main tool for real-time protection).

So, I'll keep using NOD32 as real-time and Bitdefender free / Antivir PE Free and AVG free as backup scanners for those unsure files/media that I want to scan before using them.

Thanks!

19. Don't use other antivirus software except Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, if not, you're at high risk to viruses. These three scanners are considered by the real experts to be the best antivirus, they can detect every viruses and they're wildly used in so many companies around the world.

Don't you think why the professional magazine such as PCWorld and CNET choose to review and rate only " three real antivirus Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro ". Their experts know what is the real qualities.

Remember, there're only best three Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro.

20. Unity

Unity Registered Member

Sorry but ROFL :D

21. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Detect very viruses? Are you kidding? So this makes you to claim you are security expert? :D

22. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Security Expert from Firefighter!

May I see your statement about best av:s as a joke? If security experts forget to mention Kaspersky and it's clones, they are very soon out of job experts!

There is wider cap between Kaspersky's and Symantec's or TrendMicro's detecting rates as there is between those last two and the other that have left, even if there is any cap at all.

PS. Have you tried to uninstall Norton av lately, how excellent uninstalling quality!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There is no such thing as 100% detection. Even Kaspersky misses certain amount of malware and is considered as AV with biggest viral database.
    What about Panda? In my opinion much better detection then Pc-cillin and Symantec. And detection isn't everything. Memory usage,CPU usage,interface,updates frequency,update size,tech support...
    These are very important factors to most of us.

For me even Alwil Software (avast!) and H+BEDV (AntiVir) are experts. Size of the company isn't the factor to measure the knowledge of their employes.

Why does such magazines rate these products so high?
    Well,when money talks, bullshit walks...

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello,
    you tell me, well it looks like you did :) . but if i run AntiVir as resident, then within each week or two i run e-scan, ewido, spybot, adaware, trendmicro and windowssecurity's trojan scan and whatever else i'll use too; that should make me as safe as i can hope to be shouldn't it?. wont the others pick up on what the resident misses? also the thing i am paranoid about are rootkits, so i someimes spend abit of time looking for hidden processes. thats why im paranoid about them because i dont thing i'll ever see them :( :D

well, my computer is a pile of junk, id quite happily beat-up my HD and dump it in the street :D :'( . but i know what you mean. is antivir really questionable at best?

25. daf

daf Registered Member

Well people, firstly, thanks for the replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I've read them all, took it all in and the general consensus seems to lie with AntiVir PE although Avast is close behind. A few questions:

1. Any point in installing both or is it a waste of time?

2. Would 30day trial versions of say Kaspersky or nod32 be better for those 30days than AVPE?

3. Apart from an AV and a decent firewall, what other software do I *really* need to stop a persistant hacker?

4. Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5o_O

Opinionso_O

Thanks again and please carry on replying!

daf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.