Best Firewall according to Scot-OA or Comodo!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hairy Coo, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Scot Finnie,whose Newsletter has quite a large circulation- based his initial rankings on Matousec leak tests,to narrow down the field .

He offers the throw away line"There aren’t many good software firewalls out there right now"

His focus " has been on outbound protection since anyone sitting behind a firewall router has very good inbound protection."

Guess what,his finalists are Online Armor and Comodo,so it looks like OA's work in achieving perfect leaktest results has had the desired marketing effect!

Edit; http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2007/11/25/93/

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Recommendations based on someone elses recommendations which are based on leaktests. Nothing more than advertizing based on one of the more meaningless ways of evaluating a firewall.
    Rick

3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

OA has many issues... I uninstalled it too much freezing with executables.. no comfortable IDS log... so what does it help me when I have 100% leaktest protection but the rest does not fit.. Comodo needs 10 minutes to initialize if you have terminal service erased... both are miles away from perfection... Actually many issues in all top firewalls, ZA is actually the one with best compromise despite winlogon slow down... Outpost 2008 freezes during install while trying to put his appinit injection into the system... Sygate had once the best approach for a real user friendly interface but unfortunately it is out of date.

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Hi SJ. Sorry you had a bad experience with comodo.

It is on the way to perfection. Terminal services :
    I am guessing comodo uses terminal services to detect the network status. They probably chose to use terminal services instead of the software because it is more reliable for the windows system itself to detect status and probably reduces memory usage to not need to detect network status.

~removed un-necessary rhetoric and flame material....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2007
  5. Hairy Coo

For me in any case,the interesting factor was the current importance placed on leaktesting and the Matousec results

What then happens of course is that firewalls are designed to give this factor top priority.

I'm not specifically thinking about OA,which really seems excellent in most areas-but it does look like some of the others are deliberately pulling out all stops to achieve top rankings at Matousec, for obvious marketing purposes.

The end result may well be a firewall excellent at leaktests,but rotten at everything else!

Scots newsletter is widely read,so he just spreads this leaktesting business around to the newby and the less critical,who possibly consider everything written is infallible.

Anyway,as it seems that this could develop into an A v B thread,of which there already are too many regarding OA and Comodo,COULD A MOD please terminate the thread :)

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've split off a number of off topic and gratuitously glib posts. Let's see if this discussion can continue in any reasonable form and on topic.

Blue

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Not real sure he gave Webroot's firewall a fair chance since he is basing his decisions on Matousec which score the Private Firewall 5 and Webroot uses PF 6.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Scot Finney bought a Mac for his personal stuff. I find it kind of hard to follow his recommendations under these circumstances.

9. Hairy Coo

Scot says;

"Earlier this week I was honored by a promotion to the position of Editor in Chief at IDG’s Computerworld. I’m now overseeing the magazine and website, and helping to guide a stellar staff of well of over 40 editors and writers"

His opinions and reviews are obviously respected .

Maybe a lot are good-but not good is the fundemental criteria applied to this firewall testing.

10. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Outpost 2008 Pro is not a suite! (its available in 2 flavours)

and Online Armour is not a firewall but a suite with many functions!

I reckon scot should just recommend zonealarm or sunbelt rather than raving on forever about how he hates everything.

(Remember his stupid comments on beeping noises made by Looknstop?) Dont take him seriously...

11. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I would say his editorial and management skills are respected, but not attempt to draw other conclusions from his large job responsibilities.

12. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Interesting, did not know this.

13. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

For some reason my terminal services went from auto to manual and i felt the difference! About +5 minutes extra startup time. But i also noticed that if terminal services is off then comodo will automatically start it. So i really don't see the problem with setting terminal services to automatic if it is gonna get started manually by comodo anyway. Actually it may not even be comodo that starts it manually because terminal services is not listed as a dependency for cmdagent service. If you have Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and/or Terminal Server set to automatic then terminal services will start manually anyway.

14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Could'nt agree more.

15. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Scott's latest pronouncement is to skip Vista. I have to agree with that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.