Best encryption software

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Korsakoff, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korsakoff

Korsakoff Registered Member

In your opinion, which is the best? The more secure one i mean...

2. tock

tock Guest

digisecret is great for individual files and folders.... created in Europe with no backdoors or escrow keys, creates self extracting archives... simple and effective.

As for other software, steganos offers a comprehensive package.. they say they have no backdoors or master passwords, I hope they are telling the truth.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This, plus the difficulty in implementing an effective encryption algorithm is the reason why open-source solutions should be considered above all others. Digisecret are at least upfront about the algorithms they use, but even a strong algorithm can have weaknesses in implementation that would be more quickly found (and fixed) in an open source solution.

You should therefore consider software like GNU Privacy Guard (it is command-line so you would probably want to use a front end with it) or Pretty Good Privacy. AxCrypt is another open-source utility that may be easier to use.

4. j gosh lives

j gosh lives Guest

made in EU adds nothing for security where is your proof "no backdoors or escrow keys"? this is embedded in encrypted files and identifies exactly the product and company to contact:

$www.tamos.com http://www.tamos.com/ Encrypted self-extracting archive created by DigiSecret Please enter a passphrase and destination folder.

do you honestly think if Motorola, Siemens, Ericsson, Nokia, Lucent Technologies, Olympus Optical Co., Nortel Networks, Unisys, UBS, Dresdner Bank AG, General Electric cannot access their encrypted information they are told "you are **** out of luck" ? If corporate blackmail and bribery fail, negroponte will send imperial death squads into Europe to render each tamosoft employee until they get *THE* backdoor key. testicular electrodes anyone? didn't think so.

@Korsakoff:

Vernam, all the way.

http://www.google.com/search
    hl=en&lr=&q=Vernam+Encryption&btnG=Search

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Korsakoff,

IMHO, Blowfish: http://www.schneier.com/blowfish.html -
    Block cipher: 64-bit block, Variable key length: 32 bits to 448 bits

-- Tom

6. ATI

ATI Registered Member

7. brakko

brakko Guest

I am using Kryptel (www.kryptel.com). No backdoor - at least they said so when I forgot my password :) A good proggie anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.