Best (easy to use) programs to help a friend clean up his computer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Matt_Smi, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

My friend has a computer that has been neglected security wise, it has an older out of date version of McAfee on it and he believes that the computer has quite a few nastiest on it. He is not the best with computers and unfortunately I do not live near him so I can’t just clean it myself. So I am trying to think of two or three really good and easy to use programs that he can download a trial of and use to clean up his machine. I am thinking KAV and Ewido will probably clean up most of the mess. Anyone else have any ideas for easy to use programs that I could recommend? I am going to tell him to first get rid of McAfee, then download/install KAV and Ewido and run them, and then once the KAV license is up to either purchase it or un-install it and install a free AV like Avast. I would also recommend NOD32 for the cleanup, but since he may run into problems installing it at the same time as KAV I would rather not.

2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

might want to add spysweeper to the list.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

CounterSpy Trial, Spy Sweeper Trial, MS Anti-Spyware Free, Ad-Aware Free, Spybot S&D Free for removing spyware.

4. tom772

tom772 Guest

Add A2, Trial TDS -3, unhackme, McAffe stinger

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Matt Smi,
    If your friend asks why he need SO MANY softwares, tell him it's not your fault.
    I'm always embarrassed when users ask me that.

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

To remove viruses/trojans. I would recommend a scan with Panda Online Scan. It finds pretty much everything. i highly recommend it (and you dont need to install anything). Just run it from the web site

Spyware: Counterspy (trial) and Spybot 1.4.

All other rubbish: CCleaner (this program is free but essential on any computer)

That is what i would recommend.

For long term protection I would advise against Mcafee products. The home versions for Antivirus and Firewall are very poor (in my humble opinion). The Mcafee corperate AntiVirus (Enterprise) and corperate firewall (Desktop Firewall) are amazing however.

7. strings

strings Guest

I think you might have a small problem with TDS-3, seeing where it's been discontinued. The others are good, and available.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

NOD has individual removal tools that can be downloaded from their site if you run into nasties that cannot be removed by some other programs. Also Microsoft has a removal tool that can be downloaded. You might try Spywareguard.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  9. iwod

iwod Registered Member

two simple program will do the trick.

Ewido - ( Should clean up everthing mcafee missed )
    Hitman Pro - Finally this godsent software/script have a english version. Click on Config and check the 2 Antivirus options as well.

The way to go for cleaning up PC.

10. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Matt Smi,

Along with the other suggestions posted, why not direct your friend to Blackspear's "General Cleaning Instructions"
    for starters, then offering him a link to Bleeping Computer's "Tutorial" section for some basic education.
    The only way he's going to maintain a clean system is by doing it himself and learning. Help is alway's available.

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.