Best Computer Magazine

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by joao_proscrito, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joao_proscrito

joao_proscrito Registered Member

Hi! I don't know if this is the right place to answer this question, but what computer magazine do you think it's the best?

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Maximum PC. But it depends what youre looking for. MPC caters to PC enthusiasts and deals mostly with (high-end) hardware and games.

3. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

I receive many different sector trade magazines which cover just about every area in computing, but as for the most informative *and* fun, I lean toward Computer Power User (www.cpumag.com). It's mainly hardware/OS tweak based but also includes bits on gaming and Linux, and the columnists are enthusiasts, unlike the "marketing"-based blabber of the more well-known PC mags. A subscription also allows you to browse/download current and back issues online of the magazine in .pdf format, as well as sister publications Smart Computing and a few others.
    Really, there are too many magazines to list, and it all depends on what area of interest you are looking for - Windows-based, Mac, development, networking, Open Source, database, gaming, etc.
    To coin a B-movie phrase: "There's too many of them!" :cool:

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Word! That magazine has nothing but good info, reviews, news, tips, etc... It and Maximum PC are about the only ones I like reading these days. Have you looked @ PCMAG or PCWORLD? Those are like 50 pages in total, with 25 pages of ads. I honestly get pissed off reading those mags because I would flip through the ad pages trying to find the end of the ad WHICH SPANS SEVERAL CONSECUTIVE PAGES.

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I've read PCMAG and PCWORLD; WINDOWS and others. But the one I like the most is Maximum PC, but then it depends what your looking for.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

This is the same thing when you read Time and Newsweek magazines. Very little news and nearly loaded with ads. Since more people are going online to get news information, the publishers have to rely on ad money to keep their magazines from vanishing from the press.:isay:

8. joao_proscrito

joao_proscrito Registered Member

Thanks guys! I'll definitely look the magazines you indicated. I'm interested in a magazine with information regarding windows, hardware and software, and perhaps a little bit of gaming.

Thanks!

9. llista

llista Guest

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I've tried 3 or 4 different mags, and the best for info IMO is Smart Computing. I also read PC World, but it's getting to be a hype mag. :)

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I also am a fan of Smart computing. I do intend to have a look at the UK mags I heard about in this thread, however.

PCMag & PCWorld are so desperate for a broader spectrum of advertisers that they have reduced their coverage of PCs & related software, so as to increase their coverage of just about anything that has a microchip inside it: cameras, cell phones, MP3 players, etc.

I hope they don't find out that food processors have microchips in their guts, or we'll start seeing *PC* articles about those (with recipes to go with them, no doubt).

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Since the demise of PC Magazine (UK Issue), I find PC Pro provides me with a good balance between Home and Business computing reviews and articles. I also subscribe to Personal Computer World (PCW) but find that its hardware reviews are not as informative as they were in the early days.

Regards

Menorcaman

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I got PCWorld for $1.43 per issue a while back, so I think it's OK just to look at the pictures. Heck, I usually find at least one informative article in each issue too!:D

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i get computer shopper for genral computer stuff.
    and i get custompc for looking at stuff i want in my new desktop pc.
    lodore

16. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

c't – magazine for computer technology

Only available in German language. There is a Dutch version as well.

Gerard

17. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Wilders Security Magazine Weekly isn't shabby.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I am unaware of that mag. Can you forward info? Thanks:)

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I've read great things about c't at Hydrogenaudio.org forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.