BEST Compression Software ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AvinashR, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

from Winrars license page does not mean free though.

If WinRK is used with best compression it take 28 minutes or something to compress my Minefield folder, down to 8.93mb but close to unusable. Definitely is for 1gb. High profile beating 7zip is about 4 minutes. I don't know how much sense it make to use a program which is not updated since 2008. If trial is like Winrars then may be, I would not pay for it.

I tried Winrar 4 beta4 at best comp, 11.95mb against 7zips 10.94 :) I do not have 7zip installed but used PeaZip, may be possible to tweak further via its own gui.

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

BEST Compression Software

WinRaR

Options>Settings>Compression>Create Default>Compression Method: Normal (default) change it to Best.

Attached Files:

• ru.jpg
      ru.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

There is also Ultra7z Optimizer: http://www.ultra7z.ru/

But it's a bit slow, it gets your normal 7z(or rar, zip etc) file and compresses every file in it with all compression methods that 7zip supports and picks the best, the resulting file is fully compatible with 7zip.

4. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

You forgot arrow pointing at "Create solid archive" Mr. PC - the more files the more important it can be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_compression 7z does it as well :)

Tried LibreOffice which is 464mb.

7zip 102.887 kb, Winrar 121.150 kb - both solid

7zip 135.843 kb, Winrar 143.484 kb - both normal

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Did not know this. I tried the product and liked it so supported it.

6. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Exactly why I bought WinRAR. Also, 7-Zip does not allow the adding of files to an existing archive.

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I am in favor of WinRAR with tweaked settings.

8. Kuru_54

Kuru_54 Registered Member

As for what I know, 7-Zip (as nearly all archivers I know) can add files to existing archives.
    Some exceptions: 7-Zip cannot add files to RAR as it supports it only for extraction, and some archive formats does not allow adding files to a solid archive (but the latter case applies to any archiver supporting such designed format).

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

No doubt. Solid and Best (not Good or Normal) are the best options for WinRAR.
    I made the necessary correction.:)

10. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I use Winrar because it compresses, and decompresses files really fast. As others have already stated it also compresses files to a considerably small size. I also like to use Winzip because of its internal photo viewer, and it has several other features that Winrar does not have. I have Winzip, and Winrar installed on my computer with Winrar set as my default archiver.

12. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

I don't have any use for it but I don't think 7zip has anything like Winrars recovery feature. Redundant, just adding more kbs to archive or must-have might depend on experience. Must be annoying to receive a huge file via internet and then find it is unusable because of format - or in Winrars case recovery info was not added to save kbs. Don't know if 7zip has improved with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.