Best complement to KAV2009?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ChrisP, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Im currently running the latest release of KAV2009 - which cures the slowdown issue of previous 2009. I have full versions of SAS, a2 and MBAM. Given I have KAV, which ONE of my other AMs should I use in realtime?

Cheers

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I would say SAS Pro.

3. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

I second that. :)

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I third that

5. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I forgot to mention - Im running SuperAdBlocker with the realtime scanning enabled = is the scannong of SAB much woese than SAS?

6. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I'm not really sure. I'd say disable SAB's real-time scanning and enable SAS Pro's.

7. denniz

denniz Registered Member

SAB uses the same signatures as SAS, detection wise it shouldn't be better or worse. But SAB does use an older engine, I think it uses the engine that was in SAS v3.9. The main difference is that SAB doesn't have as many options in it's scanning module.

Think of it like this:

SAS Free
    SAS Personal (which doesn't exist, but if it were to exist then SAB would fall into this category.)
    SAS Professional

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I believe SAB uses the older engine - does not have direct disk access etc - so isnt the detection going to be worse?

9. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Theorically yes, that is for on-demand scanning. For protection it should be the same. Anyway, for more info you could ask here http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd call it a day for the realtime. Actually, that's how I run all my machines (between KAV2009/KIS2009/NOD32 V3/Dr Web), it's not unique to KAV2009.

Blue

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Are you saying there is no added secirity from SAS etc in realtime?

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Not necessarily, and the general answer is very context sensitive in which that context is usage profile dependent.

In a very real sense, the only security you add that is functionally relevant is security that addresses a plausibly experienced threat. The important wrinkle with computer security is that one should take some reasonable measures against rather low frequency exposure events - and that happens to have a large personal component built in.

I tend to be rather sensitive to performance hits. In my case, Dr Web is running on my primary machine because it has provided the best tradeoff between performance hit vs functionality over the last year or so (IMHO). NOD32 V3 is run with a default configuration on a Vista Ultimate machine, while the various KIS/KAV2009 installs were performed with a number of modules deselected (web AV, content filtering, and a couple of others that escape me at the moment (I'm on the road)) to improve performance. For my own usage profile and other factors (use of SuRun/LUA on my main machine, go to partition virtualization in the event of dodgy surfing, etc.), all of these tradeoffs make perfect sense. For some other user, these tradeoffs may not make sense.

Whenever a balance needs to be struck between competing personalized demands and constraints, there is no "one size fits all" solution. There are a continuum of solutions that reflect a continuum of scenarios spanning possible usage profiles.

Blue

13. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

your protection is too much. your very much protected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.