Best browser for privacy?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ripplebunny, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ripplebunny

ripplebunny Registered Member

Hi, I would like to know which browser is the best for privacy? Thank you :)

2. carat

carat Guest

Firefox :)

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

A great choice if going by extension usage alone. Sans extensions, not so much. For greater flexibility in what is allowed to store data, blocking content, and other such matters, my personal opinion is Opera.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

"Safe surfing" doesn't help much with the trackers, ads and overall obsessive collection of data that plagues the internet today. Shutting off and keeping off javascript, and not allowing a single cookie to ever make its way onto our system would be a fantastic way to fight. Alas, the internet as a whole just simply won't allow that. An up to date OS will help keep malware and such away, but it does nothing for privacy, sadly.

5. Webby

Webby Registered Member

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The answer is: None. Realistically you have no privacy on the Internet under typical circumstances. Your ISP ultimately knows where you've been surfing.

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'd say with certain extensions, tweaks, and Ixquick as your search engine, Firefox can become the best for privacy. Out of the box, probably Opera.

But really, in the end, wat is right.

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Tor, HTTPS-Everywhere, cookies blocked, incognito mode, privacy settings max in firefox.

But why bother?

9. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Ok lets try again,

From the link: http://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/jondofox.html

"JonDoFox is a profile for the Mozilla Firefox web browser particularly optimized for anonymous and secure web surfing.

For anonymous surfing you need an IP changer proxy too. We recommended our proxy tool JonDo but you may use other anonymsation services like Tor Onion Router."

Cheers Webby

10. Hungry Man

Just like with Tor you're relying on some proxy service. As they say on the site the two are interchangeable and it adds a few extra features.

There's going to be a nice big performance hit.

11. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Easy ! Any browser you like from Humpty-Dumpty to Firefox, providing you have Sandboxie or Returnil installed.

John

12. mant

mant Registered Member

Not Opera
    How many times that malware come from Opera cache.

Not Firefox
    Default Firefox bring poison (Google) that track your Network Adapter MAC, your location, and collect all your behavior on the Internet.

Best browser for privacy is Custom Firefox.
    Custom Firefox + Tor + Torbutton + Privoxy + NoScript + Adblockplus + RequestPolicy + CookieButton + Keyscrambler

Want more?
    Run that Custom Firefox on small linux on virtual machine :)

13. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I run sandboxed Tor browser from a shadowed USB stick.

14. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Sandboxie and returnil do not prevent data from being stored on your hard drive. I ran many tests with Sandboxie configured with Eraser and with Returnil. I searched for cartoon characters in Google images with both Returnil and with Sandboxie. Then I ran Recuva. The images were all over the hard drive. The only test that I did where images did not show up was running a portable browser from a USB stick or from inside of a truecrypt container.

For privacy, You could run a sanboxed browser from a USB stick or TrueCrypt container while connected to a VPN.

15. caspian

I didn't think your MAC address was available on the internet unless someone installed some malware?

16. caspian

What is a shadowed USB stick?

17. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I use Shadow Defender and I put both C: partition and USB with portable browser into shadow mode.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Then both programs are flawed, imho.

19. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

this

wat0114 is the only one who gave a proper answer.

use a linux distro and someone else's internet signal if you want to keep your privacy, to an extent..

20. John Bull

Firefox with Sandboxie and all the other programs in my signature ! With no other contenders in sight.

John

21. Hungry Man

Those won't help with privacy. Just security.

22. John Bull

A very good point, but the difference between Security and Privacy is so ambiguously integrated that one would need to be a genius to define it. In fact, it is general practice to treat these two subjects as equal.

I would be astonished if the OP actually recognised the minuscule difference between the two terms. More likely he used Privacy as a means of describing Security.

Perhaps this brief summary will help :-

"Security is about stopping the bad guys from stealing your data. Privacy is about controlling the good guys’ handling of your data."

It looks rather impossible to control the "security", integrity and honesty of the good guys to whom you have trusted your data. Hence the discussion so far made in the context of security seems perfectly relevant.

John

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  23. John Bull

Dear Wolfie,
    Again well said and very true. My entire theme is security absolute. Poor security = poor privacy and vice-versa.

I suppose you could say :-

Security :- Is the practical application of measures intended to protect a specified objective.

Privacy :- Is the resulting condition or situation arising in direct proportion to the degree of Security measures applied.

Gee Wolfie, the two terms are the same and any discussion trying to separate them is futile.

The issue is an unnecessary side show.

John

PS - Firefox have two separate boxes in their Options, Security and Privacy. Perhaps we had better ask them to define the difference.

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

There's xB Browser and OperaTor as well.

25. caspian

Do you think that Ixquick is better than scroogle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.