Best backup programs for SSD? (backups slow with SSD)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pajenn, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Short version: I upgraded to SSD and now Windows boots a lot faster and programs launch very quickly, yet backups with programs like Drive Snapshot and ShadowProtect (only tried SP offline) are not making the backups significantly faster than before with regular HDD. What programs and backup methods (e.g. VSS or non-VSS) is recommended for SSDs? (from one SSD (system) partition to another SSD (data) partition, or from the SSD system partition to an external HDD via USB 3.0).

More details version: My laptop has two hard drive bays so I recently upgraded from a 512 GB 7200 rpm primary HDD + 512 GB 5400 rpm secondary HDD to a 256 GB SSD (Samsung 830) + 1 TB 5400 rpm secondary HDD to make up for lost space. The original system partition was 120 GB, so I just divided the new SSD into two main partitions (+ the 100 MB boot partition that Windows 7 uses by default), and used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0 to move the Windows 7 system partition "as is" to SSD. I left the other half mostly empty to use for backups. I thought making a backup of the system SSD partition to a second SSD partition would be super quick, but it's almost as slow as before with the regular 7200 rpm HDD. What's the problem?

2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Update: the backups are working faster now, maybe because i ran Samsung SSD Magician to optimize performance and OS. Whatever the reason, the backup with Drive Snapshot is now down from about 40 minutes (pre-SSD) to 16 minutes (post-SSD and SSD tweaks).

I ran two full back-to-back backups with Drive Snapshot (using VSS) of my 120 GB system partition (89.3 GB full) to (1) external HDD via USB 3.0, and (2) second (data) partition of the internal SSD. Both backups were about 55.4 GB in size and took about 15-16 min to finish. The backup to the external HDD was actually about 30 seconds faster. These were online backups (i.e. of the the Windows 7 system I was actively using) and I had some other programs running in the background (music, web surfing, google drive syncing on other hdd, etc. but nothing too cpu-intensive).

i'm happy with the backup speed to the external hdd, but why wasn't the same backup onto the internal SSD even faster?

edit: i made another full backup with Drive Snapshot. This time without VSS and to my second (cheapo) hdd (Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1 TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA drive). Time: 13 minutes. So even faster... (with VSS the same backup too 14 min, although the fluctuations could be do to the level of other activity).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.