BEST Apple anti-malware test as of yet- BIG pdf

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blueshoes, Oct 5, 2013.

1. SecurityChef

SecurityChef Registered Member

Also put a little widget on the blog in the right-side panel under the search. Makes it easier to see when the PDF was last updated without me cluttering up the front page and RSS feeds with update posts every time :)

2. blasev2nd

blasev2nd Registered Member

updated Tuesday July 15th, 10:39PM EST
    -http://securityspread.com/-

3. RamGuy

RamGuy Registered Member

For one that wont bother reading all this, what is the top five ones?

4. RamGuy

RamGuy Registered Member

It seems like a really good "down to earth" and legit comparison of the various solutions available for Mac OS X. There is only one huge part lacking though, I can't seem to find any comments on the actual system performance and scan times with the various solutions? It's very important that the AV-suite does not halt or slow-down the system in any noticeable degree. I have tried a few in the past and both ClamXav and Norton Internet Security for Mac was absurdly slow at scanning, and Norton Internet Security would halt my entire OS X Mavericks installation if I had Windows installed through BootCamp and / or Parallels as it would hang on scanning the Windows partition for some reason. Same goes for Symantec Endpoint which seems to be the exact same client and software, just with different branding.

I do fancy ClamXav, it's darn good for being free but it's slow at scanning and it's not pro-active at all as it's a on-demand scanner and nothing more. Good solution if you just like something you can toss around and use for scanning your Mac every now and then, but as a security solution it lands rather flat as it doesn't offer any real-time or pro-active security at all. Sophos has a very good solution considering it being free, but it also slowed down my MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display considerably and would also halt my system if I had Windows installed through Parallels and / or BootCamp upon scanning the Windows partition.

I also noticed that Norton for Mac was rather lacklustre compared to their Windows offering. Their plugin for Safari was basically useless, it featured no capability of scanning my Facebook, they didn't offer any Chrome plugin at all which is rather fuzzy as their Chrome for Windows plugin should be working with Chrome for Mac as well, but I guess the actual plugin only takes with their Windows Norton software, and not their OS X one. The actual UX-design is trying to follow the Apple Mac OS X guidelines but they all (ClamXav, Norton, Symantec and Sophos) all have a severe lack of settings and options to chose from. You can barely customize anything at all which is stupid for a complete security suite.

I also find it very strange that the discontinued version of Intego VirusBarrier seems to be the best overall solution, being better than their newer XB release. I also noticed that of all the better solutions it's only MacKeeper which didn't give false positives, that's not very good at all if you ask me.

5. blasev2nd

the last time I use sophos was around January 2014, it work fine and doesn't slow my mid 2011 21.5" imac (lowest spec, but I upgrade the memory to 12gb)
    I only use vmware fushion, so I dont have any experience with parallel and or bootcamp.

I do have similar experience when using avast, it slow down my system to crawl

right now I use mostly on demand scanner and sometimes avira, the score test are not the best, but it works fine, hardly noticeable after I put all schedule update + scan at midnight :D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  6. blasev2nd

Malware Detection Rate Results
    Last updated:
    Sunday October 5th, 6:40PM EST
    436 Samples, 44 Applications
    #1 Avast
    #2 Intego
    #3 Norman

as usual on : ---http://securityspread.com/----

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Would love to see one for iOS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.