Best Anti virus software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jiffycornbreadman, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiffycornbreadman

Jiffycornbreadman Registered Member

In my opinion the best anti virus program is norton anti virus Any other reccomendations??

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In my opinion Norton is the worst , why do you think so ?

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Jiffycornbreadman, you can take a look at av-comparatives.org or to virusbtn.com to see 2 reliable antivirus tests. ;)

Then you could try the first 2 or 3 ranking products and decide for yourself. There are plenty of aspects concerning and antivirus: detection rates, heuristic/proactive engines, system resources it uses, technical support, configuration, etc. ;)

For me NOD32 and Kaspersky are the best options and Avira if you like a strong free antivirus. But I think there are many other threads on this subject here on this forum. Search and read them. :)

4. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

This is a question that many people new to these forums ask. The answer is there is no best anti-virus. What runs effortlessly for some gives others aggravation. Some will serve anyone well out-of-the-box, others require more than a modicum of basic security as well as overall computer knowledge. You need to read through here and see which programs have served people well.

5. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

NOD32 is the best. It is faster and perfect.
    NOD32 labs cares about their customers and Kaspersky labs never listen to their customers....
    NOD32 is a legend.

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

xpsunny, don't yu think you are exagerating criticising Kaspersky?

7. xpsunny

No I'm not. I only want other people to know about the facts of Kaspersky labs.

8. xpsunny

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

No AV is perfect, not even NOD or KAV.
    You have obviously based your opinion here after many years use of both NOD and KAV?

IME, the support offered by both the official KAV forum, ably led by Don Pelotas, and KAV UK have been superb.

Simply bashing a product will not win you many friends here.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  10. marcromero

marcromero Guest

The "best" antivirus is the one that works "best" for you. I would start by reading at the virus bulletin website to get some insight, then try some of the top tier antivirus softwares, most of them offer trial downloads. There are so many variables to consider when selecting an antivirus program for your computer ie. surfing habits, system performance, installed software, other security applications you may be running and the list goes on... do some research and explore the many antivirus softwares available. Then decide what works "best" for you...

11. Blackcat

This shows that NOD and 7 other scanners obtaining 100% pass rates across all test sets.

There are many other factors to consider, as marcromero points out, as to what makes the "best" AV apart from ITW testing!

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw i think i have found the best secuirty combo ever nod32 outpostfirewall and spysweeper what ya think?

13. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

These are not facts, its simply another way to bash what happens to be a very good AV program.
    If you do not like a particular program then in my opinion it is best to leave it alone, whether its an AV, AT, or AS program, it does not do any one any good.
    LIke I have posted before I use both AV's on seperate computers and I have no problems with either of them.
    All products have their good points and their bad points, none of them are perfect.

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    IMO if you choose between BitDefender, Kapersky, or NOD32....you are being protected by the best.

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Jiffycorn might get popped for tossing this one out. :D :D

Of the pay for AV's StoneCat has the "look at these first" imho and I would certainly likely pick one of them after considering other unique system setups to the particular PC involved. This of course is if you feel you need the very best. In most instances GOOD AV will be fine. Based on various reports by various testing orgs. In that case you could expand your selection to some of the other brands mentioned throughout these forums. :)

Surfing habits should be considered and then there is always price to consider as well. ;)

:blink: Now I know why my some say my emails are to long and wordy. :D :D

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true lol just choose the one you like best thats all they are all great theres no point argueing about it

17. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used Kav, Nod and Norton and They are all good. But there are some very good av's not mentioned in this thread that are excellent. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to the people that are so adamant that the av they use is the best, it may be for them but necessarily for you. if the av you are useing is working well for you there is really no need to change if it is working for you. The problem with asking what is best is that everyone has their own opinion and even though they really believe that they are right it is not necessarily so. The best way to find the best AV is to trial a bunch of them and see which one is "best for you". Just don't fall into the security paranoia trap that can happen at security forums.

bigc

18. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

In terms of bang for the buck, I'd agree, as one can get NAV for $0, or very low
    cost, AFTER rebates most all year long.

And I do use NAV.
    I also have McAfee VS 10 on one system ($0 AFTER rebate), but due to its "automatic cleaning", I will not use it to scan my computer.

However, Symantec support is useless, and the software is needlessly intrusive.

But, I'll stick with NAV, as long as the cost is so low.

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Wise words from BigC.

BigC you would know this since I know from what experience you have.

This is a concern of mine which has limited my trialing experiences,

Do you find that by the installings and uninstallings you do in trialing Av's that junk is left behind that needs cleaning up? Lots of dead or broken registry keys and the like. :doubt:

20. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

a combination of TweakNow RegCleaner and CCleaner with Regseaker for paranoia usually does the job :)

21. Blackcat

Possible solutions;

1. Use a good registry cleaner such as RegSupreme to clear up the debris or Erunt to take a snapshot of the registry before installing.

2. I think that bigc uses FirstDefense; you can have a different AV in each snapshot or simply use a "Test Snapshot" for any trials. I think that bigc uses FD.

3. Total Uninstall is also of good use in such a situation as it monitors the install, which you can then revert back to the original state before installing.

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

It is hard to find the best security combo, as there are lots of different software configurations.

You can take a look at this interesting thread, especially Post #14 & 15 & 24

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=139021

Behaviour blocking software or HIPS maybe an alternative solution, or an additional another layer of defense for anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-trojan.

And for the best anti-virus software, you may sometimes need to also consider its compatibility with other firewall and anti-spyware software. If you like anti-virus (A) very much but it conflicts with your favorite firewall (B), you may need to consider anti-virus (C) to be used with firewall (B), or you give up firewall (B) and find another firewall (D) to be used with anti-virus (A).

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

KL Lab certanly listens to users. Few features in KAV are even my ideas. Not major ones but few minor things. Still waiting for few others which i hope will get in KAV6 MP1 release.

24. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been useing ashampoo disc and reg cleaner for several years and have never had a problem running it often to clean up after uninstall of av programs. It does a very good job of cleaning without the worry of removing something that shouldn't be removed. If you happen to have a copy of defender Pro antivirus from W-M the utilities on the disc are ashampoo disc and reg cleaner plus a few more apps. I don't recomend apps like this very often but this one works great.
    The only av I have had a problem getting all of it removed is Windows Live OneCare and I don't think it can be totally uninstalled except by reformat or by useing a new snapshot with Fdisr or similar app.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

antivir premium edtion is cheap and great detection

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.