Best Anti-Virus for this setup

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Gamer_001, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamer_001

Gamer_001 Registered Member

Primary Purpose is personal use and online gaming.

I have just finished reinstalling my Operating System and Drivers

Here is current overview of exactly what is installed
    Latest Direct-X Redistributable
    Windows Updates
    ATI Catalysts 6.11 Drivers
    Creative Labs XFI- Driver "Web Update 4"
    ATI Tray Tools
    .Net Framework 2.0
    Media Player 10 - DRM restore capability

Comodo Personal Firewall

I need to know what AV would combine this with, thanks.

NOD32 & KAV cannot be used due to certain issues with certain games causing disconnection issues. Once I uninstall these and the tcp stack is returned to normal no more disconnects.

2. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Try Dr.Web, very light on the system and it's a set it and forget it antivirus. No tinkering required, runs great at default settings.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Antivir, Avast or AVG is sufficient. All 3 are free and do a good job of protecting you.

4. divedog

divedog Registered Member

What games are you playing that you get disconnects. I run NOD and get disconnects while playing Battlefield 2142 but it is intermittent. Sometimes I can play for hours and sometimes minuets before getting disconnected. For me it seems to depend a lot on the server. I don’t get it as often when I have a low ping. I would sure hate to think it could have something to do with NOD.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have the latest Patch for the game and this is no help LSPFIX may be worth a try.

There was a problem with NOD and Company of Heroes but excluding the main exe. file from IMON and AMON seemed to work.

Attached Files:

6. Gamer_001

Gamer_001 Registered Member

Thank you, Blackcat

I decided to give NOD32 another try with excluding the program. Now it works great.

Now that I have a great AV which functions right, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to any other apps which you or others might consider adding.

I uninstalled comodo and I installed Outpost 4.0 trial and NOD32 trial
    I am not sure if I should add any other applications or if this will be
    plenty of protection for everyday surfing and gaming.

I see alot of HIPS/CIPS and Sandboxing posts, but I am not sure if I need this for my purpose at all and what about A-M/A-S/A-T protections what would you recommend. I am no expert in the windows security.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Glad to hear that you resolved the conflict with NOD. I know that many gamers consider NOD to be the "best" AV to use.

As to other suggestions, LookNStop and System Safety Monitor listed in your signature would be excellent choices for your setup.

NOD, LNS, SSM together with a router, a non-IE browser should give you good protection without too much effect on your on-line gaming activities. You should then have a good, lightweight setup for overall protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.