best anti-trojan software

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by sundown, Dec 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sundown

sundown Registered Member

I am not familiar with this type software could someone recommend a good inexpensive or freeware program that is easy to use for a novice? Thanks for your opinions, there are so many out there it is confusing.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi sundown,

While you are waiting for people to provide their opinions and experiences with various Anti-Trojan software products, you could check out our Anti-Trojan summary page at:

http://www.wilders.org/anti_trojans.htm

Please note that there are not a lot of Anti-Trojans that are both "free" and in final production release, at least not as yet.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

3. sundown

As far as can tell TDS-3 Is an outstanding program but not for the inexperienced user like myself. Trojan hunter is the fastest one and a really great choice except for the small database. BoClean is really easy to use but doen't offer much support or directions. Tauscan doesn't protect against ploymophic trojans(whatever that is).

So I guess Trojan Hunter would be a good bet even with it's small databaseo_O

Thanks.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hi. Here is one site's opinions for you to study, good luck.

http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Trojan Hunter is fast and easy to use, and the maker is constantly expanding the database.

Actually almost anything you could want to know about BOClean (including how to set it up, which is rather easy btw - most users can simply install it and forget it, except for getting updates) is available on this page: http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html

Plus, PSC's e-mail support is unbelievable - you may find a response in as little as an hour.

For those users who are willing to conquer its rather steep learning curve, TDS 3 is also a great anti-trojan. This board hosts the public forums, where you can find some extremely useful step-by-step guides for it (along with screenshots).

Regards,

-Javacool

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

>Plus, PSC's e-mail support is unbelievable - you may find a response in as little as an hour.

Agreed. I no longer use BoClean but Norton and McAfee could take tech support lessons from PSC.

(BTW, how the heck you y'all add those quotes from a previous poster. "Help" doesn't help and I've tried everything I can think of. Thanks)

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Instead of hitting the "reply" button at the bottom of the thread, you hit the "quote" button inside the post you want to quote. Then edit it down to just the parts you want to show. Notice the syntax of the quote command in brackets. Try a test or two over in the test forum. Make a post then try to quote yourself.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

8. :D
    I've tried Trojan Hunter, and Tauscan.. and Pest Patrol..

My verdict?

PestPatrol!!

TrojanHunter is a fine program, with great forum support, howver, I think it's still too "new" before I use it..

Tauscan is okay, but doesn't find polymorphic trojans, and I did not particualrly like the way Agnitum ignores this issue. I was stupid enough to buy it.. Agnitum says they have to redesign Tauscan for it to be able to detect polymorphic trojans. I think they had better hurry up! Everyone else has.!!

PestPatrol can detect them, plus other spyware and "pests" no one else does (in a packaged product).. They had weak support, but recently, especially, they have been almost instantaneous in replying! Plus their website is VERY detailed, almost like a college level course, and really informative! They monitor their website and other forums, including this one. I know they've taken a bashing in soem forums, but I suggest you give them a try..

Also, if you need to buy Zonealarm Pro or plus, you can get PestPatrol cheaper as part of a bundled packaged.. Their website is www.zonelabs.com

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Sundown,

As others already have posted: the support from PSC, the company that sells BOClean, is absolutely excellent; there cannot be any doubt about that!!!
    And BTW in case you have still questions after reading that page, which Javacool posted, you could always email them, post your question here at the Wilders-forum, or go to their support-forum at Becky's: http://www.morelerbe.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=40

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

And for the set-up of TDS-3 have a look here:

Basic configuration of TDS-3:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2871

It gives you all the info you need to get started with it.
    For all the other features of TDS-3: you will learn them step by step.
    For questions: please feel free to post them at the special TDS-forum section here at the Wilders-forum, or at the private DiamondCS-forum (for licenced users only).

11. sundown

Thank ya'll for your help and opinions and for this forum. Its nice to have someplace to be able to get help with pc issues. Since I have been updating alot of software, I went with Pest Patrol because of the cost savings. As Strait Shooter pointed out you can get it cheaper with Zone Alarm which I have recently installed. Thanks again

12. dom424

dom424 Registered Member

I chose BOClean because it is easy to use and the tech support is the best I have ever seen. Also you can put the software on any computer you own without being charged for another license as long as you own the computer. Another big plus, life time updates, no extra yearly charge.

13. Robert

Robert Guest

"Bo_ Clean souValue based, or feature based version releases will be offered in the future at half the regular price to our customers." Im not sure about the wording in their liscence but it sounds like there will be soon extra additional charges for upgrades , I may have misread the fine print though , regards Robert

14. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

Here at PSC, we pride ourselves on our product support. That's part of what you pay for. There are also detailed instructions on using BOClean online at the www.nsclean.com site, but it does come preconfigured for personal/home use, so you can just set and forget (but keep it updated!). Given all the compression/encryption/wrapping schemes available for trojans, we've found that real-time detection of an executing trojan is truly the most effective.

15. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

Hi Robert,

There are two kinds of possible upgrades for BOClean, upgrades that become necessary due to new or changed technologies, which we call Critical Upgrades, and feature based upgrades (for instance, a BOClean trojan filescanner). Critical Upgrades are provided to all BOClean users via email at no cost, all you need to do is request it from upgrade@nsclean.com.

Feature-based upgrades will be half-price for existing BOClean users when they are released. We will continue to support the current BOClean as well.

Hope this clears it up. The BOClean EULA (end user license agreement) is online at:

http://www.nsclean.com/boeula.html

16. octogen

octogen Registered Member

I'll vouch for that! I've had only one problem with BOClean, but when I e-mailed PSC, I got a response and a fix that day. That was a pleasant surprised since, unfortunately, that kind of response is rare these days.

17. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Nance,

Nice seeing you posting here ;). Indeed you guys and girls are providing top notch customer care - I for one do applaud PSC for doing so!

Give my regards to Kevin ;).

regards.

paul

18. Robert

Robert Guest

Thanks Nancy for the fast reply, regards , robert

19. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

About these "cost savings":

PestPatrol does do a little bit of everything, but unfortunately it doesn't do any of it particularly well.
    And I do mean this in the nicest possible way... :D

As a first line of defense against trojans, its therefore pretty useless, IMHO.

BOClean, TDS-3 or Trojan Hunter will certainly do a better job for you, so in reality I consider either of those much better value for money.

20. Loki

Loki Registered Member

I agree with you on this, but has the new version of PestPatrol been tested?

Loki tripped over an idea in the dark... :D

21. TonyKlein

The problem is mainly in the quality and frequency of the definition updates, I think.

I don't suppose the fact that there's a new version changes anything at all in that respect.

Also, I don't know whether it can deal with polymorphic trojan, but I'd be surprised if I were to find out it was capable of that.

Paul and others will certainly be able to go into further detail on this subject.

22. robert

robert Guest

Perhaps you should check out the facts for yourself tony / loki on the pestpatrol site . I believe that it does take care of those issues you refer to , however in regard to updates , I update daily and find there updates usually twice a week for the strings , I personally think its a good product and do not have any problems with trojons , but that may be due to the fact i do not venture to to many unsavoury sites . . I have checked my system with the other main software , just to see wether I was being deluded , but they came up clean too . So I, like those others who use it, are very happy and the strings sing sweetly. I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating. However if I do fall pray to corruption , I shall be the first to say here that this is so. Regards , Robert

23. TonyKlein

Maybe let's just take a look at some independent reviews instead:

http://www.wilders.org/anti_trojans.htm

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_anti_trojans.htm

As for defense against trojans, any of the three I mentioned do a better job than PestPatrol does, and as for spyware SpyBot is far superior.

It is true that Software does appear to be a very personal thing, and many people apparently object to being confronted with the results of objective testing if their pet program doesn't come out on top.

24. robert

robert Guest

Both those reports appear to be on the 3.2 version , where as the current version that we now refer to is 4, However its always personal preference and what works well for one may not for another . regards Robert

25. TonyKlein

There's absolutely no arguing with that! :)

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.