Best Anti Trojan Program?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by hoho, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoho

hoho Registered Member

Like thier are so many out their but what is the best? Is their sites on testing your anti torjan program?

Like here are some I am consdering but not sure which one I should get. And reasons why you think that program is better then the rest.

Tds-3
    The Cleaner
    Trojan remover
    Trojan hunter.

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18355

3. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

The best one is the the one that best suits your system and your needs.

TDS-3, Trojan Hunter and BOClean are highly regarded here and I would suggest you try these out to see which one YOU think is best.
    There is also the long awaited A² which you should check out too!
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

Cheers,

Trev.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The three best Anti-trojan programs are (in no particular order);- BOClean, TDS-3 and TrojanHunter. All 3 are commercial software and will give you top notch protection.

There is no 'best' of these 3 AT programs. My advice would be to look at the posts here on wilders and some of the ones below, then trial the one(s) you are interested in(BOClean does not have a trial version, but there is a money back guarantee with this program). See which one you like and which one is the most compatible with your software and hardware.

All of the top 3 are known for their excellent support.

Review Sites;

http://www.wilders.org/anti_trojans.htm

http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/

http://www.firewallguide.com/anti-trojan.htm

Program Home sites

1.TDS-3; http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

2.BOClean;http://www.nsclean.com/boclean.html

3.TrojanHunter;http://www.trojanhunter.com/

BOClean is a memory-resident guard only and has no file scanner, but this will change with the new version 5. Probably the easiest of the three to set up and run.

TDS-3 can be a little daunting at first, particularly for newbies, but again is fairly easy to use. Has both a running guard and a file-scanner.

TrojanHunter has both a Monitor and a file scanner and again is very easy to setup and use.

There are a few Anti trojan test results such as http://www.hackfix.org/miscfix/icons-at.shtml

But great care needs to be carried out in the actual testing procedure;

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=archive&id=sec02

Overall the trojan tests you find on the web may not give you a proper reflection of the AT software and there is no proper testing site such as Virus Bulletin for AV programs.

However, this does not alter the view that TDS-3, BOClean and TrojanHunter are the 3 best trojan killers.

5. AgentX

AgentX Guest

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EULA - The author doesn't take responsibility for any of the
    after-reading effects. Headache and desire to vomit are normal.
    The author can't be held reponsible for what he/she/it has written
    and is free to deny thay any such post was written by the same.
    The views expressed are entirely subjective and don't belong
    to the author's parents, prefessors, university, cook, shoes,
    spectacles or his/her/its only dog.

Do you agree to the above terms and conditions? |Don't Know] |Can't Say|
    END EULA
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with both phaedrus and BlackCat.
    However, I'd like to add a few words of mine.

A few good antivirus programs can also detect most of
    the trojans. I've used KAP before, and it was quite effective
    against most of the trojans. Now, I use McAfee VirusScan
    Enterprise 7.1 and it detects trojans before TDS-3 or The
    Cleaner do. Nevertheless, it's always good and safe to add
    another layer to your security.

BOClean is good, in fact very reliable as an on-access AT software.
    I don't own it myself and won't until version 5 comes out ;)
    It even detects other malware like Gibson's LeakTest. Haha :D

TrojanHunter is good too. It comes with both on-access and
    on-demand scanners. The on-demand scanner is faster than
    the most. Trojan detection rate is considered to be among the best ones.

TDS-3 is very good and the slowest of all. If you don't have a fairly
    modern PC hardware you'll be sipping a few more mugs of coffee.
    But, if the speed is not of any concern, it's the best solution for you.
    TDS-3 comes preconfigured very well, and you get a pletora of other
    options to tweak your AT protection. I recommend turning on the
    "Exec Protection". Someone has written an excellent article on TDS-3
    configuration in this very section; find it.

If you look closely enough, you'll find other products like WormGuard
    or Process Guard and more on other sites. They're all good, and do their
    job perfectly. But, a million dollar ...ahem.. australian dollar question is,
    how many programs do I have to run to feel secure on the wild wild Net?
    Internet is getting uglier everyday. Bulky operating systems, application
    programs and unwanted security overhead has made it even worse.
    Worms and other network viruses have becomes deadlier than the
    good old Whale virus (never became popular).

Internet as it is today, resembles a tangled mess; mesh of connections
    rising from nowhere to everywhere. It exists as a set of layered protocols
    that were developed in no particular order. Due to lack of any defined
    and applied structure, security has been implemented only as a patch.

Sometimes I think the development of present day Internet closely resembles
    to that of the Windows Operating system, particularly 9x series. You never
    get to know what you get. Where everything runs on tops on something.
    Where something can take control of everything. And, nothing is protected.

[...]
    So, Ladies and Gentlemen, here I propose the creation of "Alternet™".
    A new version of Internet which will be secure and error free. Based on
    totally re-written secure protocols, and enhanced protection for just
    about everything. Worms and viruses will become bad dreams of the past.
    P0rnography and other untouchables will belong to Alternet™ Ghetto, separate
    from the clean and 100% vegetarian Alternet™ Corporate. A separate version,
    Alternet™ Home Edition will be available for caring parents who want their kids
    out of the bad stuff. Alternet™ Professional Edition will enable all the features
    of Ghetto and P2P, for quick and dirty professionals.

Alternet™ Enterprise Suite will be licensed only to ISPs and government
    agencies. It'll come packaged with 3337 byte additional security encryption.
    Based upon the 13-DES architecture, it'll be Virtually Unbeatable™. Both NSA
    and EFF have agreed that it can only be cracked by employing special vector
    processor array machine. Otherwise it takes 37,584,587,547,001 light years to
    crack, precisely. SETI spokesperson has denied any involvement in correct
    prediction of the time required to crack such strong protection. The developer
    of Blow-me-Fish encryption was not available for comments.
    [/...]

I wonder why there isn't an evaluation version of BOClean available. Are they
    afraid of the "Pirates on the Net"? Or is it something else I failed to notice?

Anyways, thanks for following me upto here. Haha ;)
    Regards,
    AgentX

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I wonder why there isn't an evaluation version of BOClean available. Are they
    afraid of the "Pirates on the Net"? Or is it something else I failed to notice?

Seems to be a whole group of people out there who like free...and love the trial stuff also. They have evaluated :D :D all of them 30 days then the cash
    programs until they have run out trials .

Some even try to do it a second time ;)

From a product service standpoint the numbers hitting a vendors server for free and trial are way up there and when your goal as a vendor is to give the best service you can..to me it makes sense to sell your product upfront to the informed user.

All that said..let me tell you what I think, in all these security forum is a gas... all those people that post about the current AT or AV they are using and all the problems they ARE having..only for all of us who help those people to find out..they are using as trial version..have not even read the manual or took the time to find out how that particular one operates..and have not even updated it.

So there is certainly one thing you can say about BOClean..if anyone that posts claims they have used it..they have owned it..and care enough about that purchase to stick with it and find out all that needs to be learned for it to work flawlessly..and since BOClean is easy to use..I am sure they get very few returns :)

7. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Nice story, but a lightyear is not a unit of time but a unit of distance :p
    Dolf

8. AgentX

AgentX Registered Member

Thanks for calling it 'nice'. Haha! :D
    BTW, reference to 'light years' was not an error, it was purposely typed.
    I added it as a pun on 'SETI' and 'Advanced Quantum Cryptograhy'. ;)
    Notice that I've used '3337 bytes' and not 'bits'. Tom Clancy style? You decide! :p

Well, don't you think I've come up with a nice name - Alternet; huh?

---------------
    @Primrose - You're right about shareware software, and that most of the people who
    come for solutions are using trial or pirated versions ...for they never posed any
    documentation or technical support.

However, despite of all piracy and illegal issues, I stand in favor of promoting shareware.
    We all agree how good BOClean is and how fast its in-memory scanner is. But, when it
    comes to the user awareness issue, it falls flat. I've seen novices using inferior (subjective
    comparision) AT programs and getting infected all the time. I've seen people getting into
    S&M (Symantec and McAfee; Doh ;) ) wars, ignorant of KAV, NOD32, RAV, Dr.Web etc.
    Does it mean that these rivals perform any less than those two. No, it does not. It means
    that they're selling their products to everyone, willing or not. They shove advertisements
    into people's head and force them to buy. It's about business.

Developers of BOClean can certainly increase their userbase with a free limited version
    or at least by introducing a shareware version. Not only it helps in gaining a few more
    dedicated users, it also helps the product from an unpredicted and immature death.

Regards,
    AgentX

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

There is a 30 day money back guarantee ;)

snowbound

10. Primrose

Well Agent X you are even in luck for a little freeware today. Go to this link...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8877974~mode=flat~days=9999#8879705

download the zip and put the contents on the desktop. It will never install on your PC..but it will clean up that wrap around and other oddities in posts and email in just three clicks. Saves on the old eye balls. ;)

I do not think...

"Developers of BOClean can certainly increase their userbase with a free limited version
    or at least by introducing a shareware version. Not only it helps in gaining a few more
    dedicated users, it also helps the product from an unpredicted and immature death."

..with any "user base" that would be of interest other than more headaches than worth the additional support required and you do not get dedication unless you meet halfway on the same road.

Premature births have the least survival rate unless you have lots of training ;)

What is an immature death o_O?

11. snowbound

Dying from embarrassment? ;)

snowbound

12. AgentX

AgentX Registered Member

im.ma.ture ; US / adj.; 1. not sensible in behaviour or in controlling one's feelings; less
    mature than one would expect 2. not (yet) fully developed or grown.

Thanks for the 'free' advice. And, do not forget that "AgentX" is different from "Agent X".
    Don't ever get into thinking that I belong to "Lets get all the freeware" community.
    Thanks again for that stupid link. Hope you already downloaded whatever crap it was
    and registered it properly. Greetings to you!

Dedication? Who's dedicated to what?
    I'd like to clear some smoke here. Dedication is a religious issue and I'm not interested.
    It's like, "Sell whatever you've got, I'll buy it because I'm a dedicated user". Be practical.
    The moment a piece of software malfunctions, it's thrown out of my business. I think many
    others do the same. What happened to those dedicated RAV users? Anti-Trojan users?
    Yeah sure, a² is coming ...but who knows when. I do not belong to those dedicated AMD
    users, who keep adding copper (and who knows what else, Titanium?) heatsinks only to
    save their beloved CPU from going astray.

IMHO, both freeware and shareware are *very* preactical concepts. C'mon! Who's going to
    marry a girl without ever dating her? Who's going to spend (read: spoil) rest of his life with
    someone totally unknown, only based on some webpage info? Count me out!

"Premature births have at least one advantage against immature deaths, they are ignorant".

"Ignorance is bliss" - Good song to sing when you've been graved already. ;)

@snowbound - Regarding your 30 days money back guarantee statement:
    I already made it clear that I'd like to buy this great product ...but not before it gets updated
    to version 5. I never said anything about 'evaluating' or 'trying' it. Seems, you missed some
    of my words when you were reading my posts. Time to die from embarrasment? :D

Regards,
    AgentX

13. snowbound

Hi AgentX :)

Don't know if u have seen this but here is an interesting thread on Boclean5.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=16853

snowbound

14. AgentX

AgentX Registered Member

Hi snowbound!
    Thanks for the link. I'll definitely read it tomorrow; it's 3:45 AM now.
    BTW, I'm fairly new here ...so I need some time to get familier with all the people
    and on-going chit-chat here. ;)

Regards,
    AgentX

15. snowbound

Well, welcome to wilders! :)

I'll give u your first Karma cookie :D

Goodnite and Mery Christmas AgentX. :cool:

snowbound

16. Primrose

"Hope you already downloaded whatever crap it was
    and registered it properly. Greetings to you!"

:D

Actually I put it there..so downloading it was not an option..registration is not required..in fact the stripper is free.."email it to all your friends"... is their motto..but I do not do email.

17. snowbound

The only reason i mentioned that is because it tends to get left out when people are discussing that there is no trial version for Boclean. Just for the benefit of other readers. :D

snowbound

18. Primrose

Said by AgentX...
    "C'mon! Who's going to
    marry a girl without ever dating her?"

Not many because the girl would not stand for it. Or lay down for it. ;) You see "dating" is one of those commitment thingies. You spend a little money first to take here out :( ( Unless you got the "stuff" she is interested in calling here own..and then she might spring for the bill ) . In the meantime, you get a chance to know her..studying her background..see how she reacts to situations in your world..and give her a chance to show you she will make a fine mate and never let you down. :rolleyes:

Now it seem to me that with PSC Dating Service :D

Privacy Software Corp

http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?s=8aa3be7b0a6364d79078d16855bb6e3c&showforum=158

You have the best of two worlds.

First, right at this very moment you can "date" the Vivacious BOClean4 for 30 days . :cool:

She will help cook your meals..give you companionship and if you are not happy with the arrangement..she will give you all your money back.

I see guys going to court these days trying to get all that hard earned $$$ back from failed relationships ..but in the case of the PSC dating service you get that in writing up front.

Second, BOClean4 is not selfish..she will share the assistance of her younger sister BOClean5 when she get done with her schooling :) and it will not cost you any more money.

I call that a winner.. since you have already made it clear that you would like to buy this great product ...but not before it gets updated to version 5.

I also extend to you a Welcome to Wilders. :)

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Whoa! You're a tough one Primrose, I'm lucky I never dated you; you would've seen right thru all of my schemes. ;)

Acadia

20. AgentX

AgentX Registered Member

Thanks for the cookie, snowbound. And a very warm merry Christmas to all of you!

@Primrose
    It doesn't really matter whether the girl stands for it or not. It's subjective.
    Frankly speaking, I never dated a girl in last 4 years. It's a waste of time for me. They're
    all too same. Ironically, girls seem to have the same assumptions about us.

Allow me to say something about dates and datings. It's about 20%(*) of girls and 10%(*)
    of guys. Grey-matter isn't even involved in the entire process. There's nothing for 'me'.

As for the PSC service, it was nice of you to notify me of such a grand dating service. ;)
    Unfortunately, there's nothing for me there, except the "Two-for-One" offer. Geesh! :D
    Yeah, it's right that I can keep 'her' for 30 days and still get my money back. But, it's not
    too graceful, is it?

Guys are asking for a money back because there was not a bit of love in between. It was
    only a 'cook my meal' type deal. Who can tell what the world will be like, say 50 years later?

Return to innocence!
    Regards,
    AgentX

----------
    (*) - Percentage of body parts involved. :rolleyes:

21. Primrose

"Ironically, girls seem to have the same assumptions about us."

:D

I have never had that experience..but will take you word for it.

When BOClean5 is released to the general public..you can tell me how you made out.

But I think you wear enough protection right now.

22. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) For the human side of dating you can always try something like Mensa. Met my first wife there. We were married for 11 years. Not bad overall. Oh, she didn't cook. I did, as I am a chef too. :D

For better or worse, whether you pay for it or not, ask yourself if you learned anything from the experience?

(Innuendoes intended) ;)

23. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

I'm under the impression this thread is going slightly off topic :D

Please ladies and gents, let's stick to the subject from this thread.

Human relationships are most probably far more intriguing and interesting overall - but we do have Ten Forward for that ;)

regards.

paul

24. Primrose

Pheew :D Thank you for that..thought I was about to go on a double date..but could not figure out who was driving.

Human Relationships get so messy. ;) In a forum for Other Anti-Trojan Software.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15390

25. AgentX

AgentX Registered Member

Don't take my word for anything. You've got to live it to gain some experience. ;)
    Sure, I'll post a personal (and subjective) review as soon as I get my copy.
    Yeah, I do always keep a pack of 'Trojans' alongwith. (It was a pun or what? :D)

Back to the topic now, I'm currently evaluating TDS-3. As for the antivirus, I own a copy of Norton 2K,
    McAfee 7 Home and PC-Cillin 2002. In the near future I hope to get KAV & (Dr.Web OR NOD32).
    As I stated somewhere, shareware can save a life. ;)

Regards,
    AgentX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.