Besides Antivirus what else?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by lun3rst4r15, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lun3rst4r15

lun3rst4r15 Registered Member

Besides having my Nod32 what other programs do i need to best secure my computer? OR can anyone put me to a thread which has discuss this issue before.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I would get a software firewall (if you dont have a router).

There is no "best" setup, simply different setups.

Just stick with software that you feel protects you and that you can manage.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Really depends on your needs (your use of the machine and your experience). Personally, if I did add anything else besides my AV, it would probably be a general behavior blocker like ThreatFire or Norton Antibot. But that's pretty much it...

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

5. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

There's simply loads of different apps in so many different categories.

So many threads here to read.

Something easy to try for safe surfing is Returnil. Some knowledgable folks here have turned to it and its free :thumb:

6. lun3rst4r15

Thanks Huwge, i don't really no much about what to install and what detects what..i was curious what others were using besides nod32 or if u use another antivirus program what other programs are u using in conjunction. i know there aren"t no perfect way to protect the company well actually there is NO INTERNET but since i do go online i guess i will need other softwares to support my anitivirus.

i was thinking of going: Nod32 spybot s and D and adware for now..maybe add a firewall?
    having to many real-time protection is that any good?

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Before I went to the suites that is what I used with satisfaction for several years, except I used SAS in real time, and Ewido prior to SAS. The combination kept me malware free. Of course I am a very safe surfer.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. lun3rst4r15

Thanks alot for your help..i will add the other softwares mention

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Besides an Anti Virus you should have a software firewall,at least one anti spyware for scans, one HIPS and or a behaveral blocker,and maybe the most important one, a restore/image software. A hardware FW is not a bad idea either. Just my opinion.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would pass up Ad-Aware 2007, and substitute it with Superantispyware or AVG . The new Ad-Aware doesn't get good revues. I upgraded to it and it still just finds data miners.

12. lun3rst4r15

yea i know what u mean i found adaware 2007 to be garbage what are data miners? I'm also thinking about getting something to protect me from keyloggers Real time. or registry thing in which they put like advertisements on ur comp SUGGESTIONS? besides that, is there anything else i need? i though there was like a list somewhere here where they recommended a firewall, a good trojan finder? nod32 of course what is HIPS? so far i have 1 real time anti-virus, and traded ad aware for superantispyware

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Read some of the other threads here on HIPS apps. A good HIPS can go a long way in protecting you...

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Ad-Aware fell asleep at the wheel well over a couple years ago and they may never recover from that slumber, but no matter; SAS is stepped up in MIGHTY fashion.

A great AS and support is second to zero. This app is known to pull the teeth of even Rootkits as well as aggressive malware and is second to none that i'm aware of in that department save an authentic Anti-Rootkit app.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

According to Ad-Aware, data miners call home from your computer when you access a web site, and give info about your interest and habits at the web site. :ninja:

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

My preference:

1. A Hardware firewall easy and effective
    2. backup Restore, use a maxtor external harddrive and you also get a free image recovery software maxxblast for your Programs partition, get a free backup software for you like syncback for your data partition
    3. Your Antivirus
    4. Free Behavioral Blocker (non intrusive) like ThreatFire free (is the old CyberHawk Pro, so the free really is not a 'beta' but the stable CB Pro version)
    5. For risky surving use a virtualisation program like returnil/powershadow or a strong set and forget sandbox like DefenseWall (paid, all threat gates) or GeSWall free (only internet)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Besides an av program;
    A firewall.
    An antispyware program.SAS,A-Squared,AVG -AS.
    Sandboxie is good also.
    That's what I use.
    There are choices that I'm sure work well for others.

18. searaider

searaider Registered Member

BitDefender Internet Security 2008
    SpySweeper
    BoClean 4.25
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Windows Defender
    and also using a router with a hardware firewall, i might uninstall boclean soon, this is what i use now

19. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

some gladwrap jk....:rolleyes:

20. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

If you're a safe surfer Just AV+Firewall, or HIPS.

If you're a risky surfer, I say HIPS+AV+On-Demand Spyware apps+Firewall.

21. lun3rst4r15

what does HIPS mean anyway...is adware 2007 a good at cleaning rookits and trojans ? Does nod32 and trojan hunter cure these concerns ...what are cool web searches i heard of them somewhere

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Unfortunately Ad-Aware 2007 is a dissappointment. I was using the previous version forever, and looking forward to the new one. When it was finally was released I installed it and found it to be no good, along with the fact as I remember, that it was always running even when it was turned off.
    On the other hand NOD32 would be the best AV you can buy, in my opinion and alot of other folks in this forum. I once used Trojan Hunter but found it too expensive and had some bugs. However that was then, so I can't speak for the latest version.

HIPS - Host (based) Intrusion Prevention System.

23. lun3rst4r15

nod32 doesnt detect trojans?

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It sure does. It caught one for me just recently.:)

25. lun3rst4r15

how about rookits? is there a difference between rookits and trojans? and what about keyloggers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.