Benefits of Windows Defender ??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Hello all. I was wondering what the benefits of running a program such as WD would be as compared to some other real time anti-spyware products. I realize it is free. But does it offer any protection that may not be available in some other realtime, paid products (SAS, SpywareDoctor, etc)?

thanks

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I guess because it offers HIPS protection too.

3. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

I second that,
    but I find it useless for me.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Among the few HIPS for x64 in Spynet mode and the updates are almost twice daily. It has steadily improved into a viable AS.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Does the HIPS feature work with 32 bit Vista? And has the HIPS features been tested anywhere?

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Windows Defender has yet to notify me of anything except for when I install an application and an entry is added in the startup listing. I really have doubts about how effective it is though I still continue to use it.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

It's also told me about shell extensions entries etc. Seems a little like winpatrol in that way. Oh well, it is free and comes with windows. I still have it on.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

It works in both x32 and x64 and monitors key areas of registry and file system for changes.

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Benefits of Windows Defender, Windows Updates, LUA, DEP, UAC and whatever MS are absolutely useless if and when you have your PC running with utter speed and absolute security.

How many times have you seen posted around the net "Big Windows Security Update This Tuesday" , eh.

Nearly every damn month I would say.

Confidence in yourself and other security apps squire, goes a long way. ;)

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Trespasser, should you really want Windows Defender to notify you, first, as Arup indicated, join SpyNet with an advanced membership (Tools > Microsoft SpyNet), but do read the Windows Defender Privacy Statement prior to joining.

Then, click Tools > Options, under Real-time protection options section, make sure the Use real-time protection (recommended) check box is selected. Select all the options and under Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about:, select the 2 check boxes and click Save. Be prepared to be bothered.

11. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

anyone know :

a) how powerful is the HIPS in windows defender? how does it compare to the latest spyware terminator with HIPS?

b) how effective is it at removing malware that's made its way to the pc?

12. Trespasser

Thanks for the suggestions but I have belonged to the SpyNet (with advanced membership) for a long while now and I do have Options tweaked for real-time protection. As to whether I would like to be notified of anything that is blocked by Windows Defender....why, yes I would. It would certainly build up my confidence in it if that were to occur. Wouldn't it you?

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Of course! Yet, because you are a safe Internet surfer (I see you are using FF with AB+ & NS :thumb: ), perhaps that's why WD does not squeal for you. Once I switched to FF, it stopped for me as well. Maybe that's the key to WD's silence.

14. Trespasser

I'm sure that has something to do with it. :). And, yes, I am a safe surfer (you have to be this day and time).

Thanks again for the reply.

Later....

15. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

What does patch Tuesday have to with the effectiveness of WD? Every software has vulnerabilities. MS just patches them every second Tuesday of the month.

a) It is not designed to cover every base but it does inform you of key changes in Windows and IE
    b) Never had malware for WD to remove so wouldn't know. Does anyone know any independent tests for this?

16. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Gizmo's take on WD

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-adware-spyware-scumware-remover.htm

17. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Hmmm, maybe we should have expected it. If any spyware is detected by the AS that is turned on in Windows by default, it wouldn't spread very much. I've stopped automatic scanning however I will keep the real time protection on to watch for critical changes.

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Windows Defender integrates with Internet Explorer , guards its settings , monitors the system for changes such as new driver/service installation and start-ups , monitors executables , monitors the memory directly .

In addition , it gets regular updates from Microsoft - automatically about twice per week ; manually - new updated can be installed more than once per day. Its Spynet community , Microsoft's other sourses of finding malware , are impressive , I think.

WD is light on resourses , doesn't conflict with other AVs .

I have tested Windows Defender in a virtual machine with XP SP3 and I liked it . It managed to detect everything I pushed it , I visited lots of *bad* sites . It alerted me on changes and successfully managed to revert driver installatation (after it asked me for reboot) . In addition , its cleaning ability is good , too , IMO (my own biased tests :D)

If you send Microsoft suspected sample (I have sent them twice) , you'll get immediate attention . I receive one email to say "thank you , we got your sample , your ID is ... we'll notify you" , the second one (I was surprised) - "we are currently working on your samples . now the *temporary* results are ... but we'll notify you where we are ready" ... , the 3rd last one ("we are ready , the final result is ... we'll add it or not" ) , this was for a single file I sent them - I got 3 emails in less than an hour after I sent the sample to Microsoft.

I have seen lots of negative reviews of WD but I like it and I believe it works :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.