Beginners questions about PG

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Untouchable J, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Untouchable J

Untouchable J Registered Member

Good Morning,

I have a couple of messages in processguard that I am unsure if I should allow or keep blocking. I'm fairly new with PG so hopefully somebody here can help me out:

1) thguard.exe (Trojanhunter guard) tried to install a driver/service called mchinjdrv. Allow or block?

2) mpfservice.exe (a process for my Mcafee firewall plus) tried to install a driver/service (dont list the name of driver).

3) mcvsescn.com (McAfee VirusScan E-mail Scan Module) was blocked from creating a global mouse hook, global keyboard hook, global getmessage hook, global SYSTEM message filter hook.

4) adaware.exe (Ad-aware Professional) was blocked from terminating smss.exe (this happens when starting a system scan with AA).

Also could you give me a general idea what processes should be allowed to modify to function properly? Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2, PG version 3.150.

Thank You

-J

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Untouchable J
    You should follow the alerts given by ProcessGuard and as a rule of thumb allow trusted processes to do their thing.

I am not familiar with TH or McAfee programs but I am sure other users will offer their setting.
    For AdAware I allow the default settings, I do not run the AdWatch part of the suit as a rule but again give it what it requires as it is a trusted program.

For further in formation about some processes go here: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/pgdb/ It is still in it's embryonic state but will grow over time :)

HTH Pilli

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

For THGuard.exe and TrojanHunter.exe, I recommend that you ALLOW them the right to do the following:

Terminate Protected Programs
    Modify Protected Programs
    Read from Protected Programs
    Install Drivers/Services
    Install Global Hooks

For Ad-Watch, I recommend that you ALLOW it to the following:

Terminate Protected Programs
    Modify Protected Programs
    Read from Protected Programs
    Install Global Hooks

4. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

It seems that you use McAfee Security Suite (AV, Firewall...).

***For mpfservice.exe:It's necessary for McAfee PersonalFirewall: Permit it always.

***For the E-Mail scan module, it happens when you use Outlook:permit it always.

***For Adware scan, i don't use it, but i hope you'll have an answer by others helpers.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.