Before Uninstalling 1.300?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Robyn, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have the registered version of RD and have just downloaded the new release which looks very good. Do I have to remove settings plus the additional sets of keys like Tony's before starting the uninstall?

Apologies for having to ask but I would prefer to follow the correct procedure for a smooth install of version 2.000

btw thanks to everyone who tested this version for people like me who prefer to wait for the full release.

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi Robyn,

You should uninstall v1.300 of RegDefend first and save any .ghst files you want to import. After installign 2.000 you can import additional rules if you please, however the RDStandard in RegDefend v2.000 already includes over 4 times as many rules as v1.300.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hi Jason

Thank you, I just hoped I didn't have to remove settings first which is great.
    I am going to run RD v2.000 at default this time without any additions especially when so many are there to begin with.
    Thank you, hopefully get this done asap.

Edit: Installed, hopefully working as it should.

Outpost has just prompted me to allow access for Ghost

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Glad to hear you are up and running fine Robyn.

How are things running for you today?

5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Sorry, only only getting to this post now back on the computer with RD on it.
    Thanks for asking, to date I am very pleased with this new release especially as there are suggestions to help with deciding to let an event happen or not. I love this bit and it really did help me when I an alert happened after an install for example.

The advice on why it may be happening and what I should do helps a LOT.
    Hopefully it will continue to guide me, I do like the new version and am just running it with the default settings. Thanks to all involved in the hard work behind making Ghost more friendly to someone like me ;)

I see you have a new name (just to confuse me lol)

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have had two occasions of alerts re: the security centre one example:

updatesdisablenotify

d:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security center

[REG_DWORD] 0 (0x00000000) another one shows firewalldisablenotify [REG_DWORD] 1 (0x00000001)

PID - 1536 - there ar 4 alerts altogether with the advice if you have not changed anything etc
    I haven't even been looking in the security centre settings so thought it best to ask why this was happening and should I be blocking when it does?

Sorry I can't find the way to copy and paste the whole log in this version :oops:
    Thanks for any advice on this.

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi Robyn,

So you don't even use the Windows Security Center? Are you using the firewall in XP by any chance? Do you have the Security Center service enabled?

Also, have you run a Spybot S&D scan recently? If not, you might want to check these few things out.

Other than that, I would wait for the registry experts to chime in?

And yes, I changed my username just to confuse you. :p

8. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Sorry Trooper just about to close down when this arrived.

I do have the security centre running with Outpost as my firewall (+router)
    I just meant I wasn't looking in the security centre at the time.

I have scanned my computer (always do) nothing there or I would not be shutting down :eek:
    I think maybe it may have been me configuring a bit with Outpost :rolleyes: but everyhing has been fine since then.

Scanned my computers inside out ;) plus a lot of guards on the doors in and out!

9. passing thru

passing thru Guest

Svchost.exe normally uses and changes the following registry values to configure the Security Center service's popup alerts:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
    "AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000000
    "FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000000
    "UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000000
    "AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000000
    "FirewallOverride"=dword:00000000

Since you use the Security Center, I would allow svchost.exe to change the values as it requires. However, I would deny permission for any other process attempting to do so.

10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Can someone who already used version 1.300 start from new using 2.000 in terms of uninstalling 1.300 installing 2.000 , rebooting, then getting all new popups at reboot and accepting one by one of what is to be let run druing windows startup. I mean, it won't cause problems per say, not asking me to let run my other pertection software. In other words, the auto startup should alert me at startup of all programs that want to run, so I can check mark it and make it a permenant rule right?

dja2k

11. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Unless you have something running on startup that is writing/deleting/modifying a protected registry area you will not see any difference. (i.e. no alerts) If you have may customized permissions in 1.3, take a look through that area and see if you can save them to a ghst file. (I don't have a copy of 1.3 running so I can't test this, maybe someone else will verify/deny this can be done.) Then you can Import them into 2.0 once it is installed.

Currently I only have one application, Sysinternal's Process Explorer, that I have given special permissions when it starts.

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Are there any side-effects importing puff-n-d's and tony's ghst files to regdefend 2.000. I read that they are duplicates entries if imported. Should I not import them and wait until puff-n-d and tony update their files to accomidate version 2.000?

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.