Before or After backup batch files don't work right

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SatTracker, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatTracker

SatTracker Registered Member

Hi ATI forum folk...

Gotta problem with the batch files I wrote to run before and after backups - none of the prompts or echo statements I put in the batch files display.

The system is XP, the batch files do a lot of moving and copying of files, but it is as if echo and input statements in the batch file do not exist.

The copying and moving of files asked for in the batch file does work. I’m using Xset (an inhanced version of the set command) and it seems to work just fine.

It has something to do with the batch file being started from within TI - it works differently when called directly - prompts work, pause works, input works, echo works, but not if called as a Before Backup Process in TI.

:doubt:

a P.S. Gotta go to bed now, or I'll not be at work on time - It'll be 8+ hours before I can respond to any helpers... & TX to those who do!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  2. SatTracker

SECOND TRY FOR AN ANSWER! WHY?

Why don't echo statments and prompts display in batch files called from either a PRE or POST backup entry?

A pause statement in the batchfile will cause the DOS window to hang there on the screen - absolutely blank, without the prompt of the pause statement (Press any key to continue...) - and pressing a key does not exlicite continuation, the screen has to be force-closed.

The problem is present in 98SE and XP (only two systems I've tried it on.)

Here's a quick example:

@echo off
    cls
    echo.
    echo Backup process being initiated...
    echo.
    pause

Put that in a batch, give it a name and call it from PRE - you'll see nothing but a hung blank DOS window.

I can't believe this place has NO common source of information about using batch files with TI. I hate to say it, but - the place looks positively inept, and that's a shame for something as nice and as useful as this program.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

It may be how spawn.exe is behaving, but what do I know (being inept and all)?

4. SatTracker

You're right - it misbehaves.

Even Acronis' own example batch file (follows) won't work (after proper edit) because no directory listing is displayed, and the pause statement causes a hung blank DOS window.

here's that example batch...

rem You should edit the next line beginning with cd and substitute your real
    rem drive letter for x: and path to the backup directory

rem cd /d x:\backup_directory

dir
    pause

rem You should edit the next line beginning with if and substitute your real
    rem backup_filename. The file extension can be whatever you need

rem if exist backup_filename.tib rename backup_filename.tib "%date:/=.%.tib"

dir
    pause

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.