Be careful if you link to Wilders posts at some other forums

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by MrBrian, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

(Moderators: I'm not sure if this is considered off topic. If so, please delete.)

Let me share a recent experience I had at another forum site (not Wilders)

I received, without prior warning, a message from a moderator at the site that I was being docked points. My offense? I'd linked to posts here at Wilders (some of them my posts), posts by the way that were highly relevant to the discussion at hand. I was accused of "promoting" Wilders. I wrote a message back protesting this accusation, and I also pointed to some of my posts at Wilders where I'd linked to posts at the given site, and asked if I'd been "promoting" that site here at Wilders? Upon my next attempted visit, I got a message informing that I was banned from the site.

So be careful if you link to Wilders posts at some other forums!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

So name the site. What are they going to do, ban you harder?

3. MrBrian

No, but that could make some people upset. However, if the moderators here explicitly approve (?) and want me to publicly name the site, I will.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

We don't discuss what other forums do here. Wilders speaks for itself and has for a long time.

This forum is built on a set of principals that should allow those seeking help and knowledge to receive that help and knowledge here.

Fair enough?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  5. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

It's their loss.

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

All forums have a policy on what is allowed with regards linking to other forums some more relaxed then others. Personally i don't do it and the majority of forums that i know would prefer their membership to refrain from this practice whenever possible

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

It's all a matter of tolerance and how they view the linkage....

I'm a Moderator of another tech forum and I don't mind if members there provide links to other forum posts provided the link brings further information or added benefit to the scope of discussion...

For e.g. in our forum, we've got members that are security-conscious and are also members of Wilders forum...there tend to be a tendency to link to forum posts/threads here if we deem it necessary.

However, we must take a look at both sides of the coin - sometimes, there do exist a few inactive forum members that do nothing more than solely linking to their other 'favorite' forum in an attempt to promote/market it and hence 'steal' the members of that forum. Hence, it's reasonable enough if the Mods of that forum decide to ban that type of member....as they deem the action similar to those of spammers. This is even more applicable to relatively unknown forums/sites...or those that engage in activities that are against the principles/rules of the forum.

8. MrBrian

What are the guidelines here? I haven't had any warnings - at least none that I recall - from moderators here about links that I've posted here to outside sites.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I understand that links which are posted to merely promote other sites are not welcome, sometimes it is necessary to post links such as to a site which contains specific info which could help a poster with a problem.

Don't see how it could be a problem to post a link to say (just for example) the avast forum to where a fix has been posted for an issue which affects certain users.

10. ABee

ABee Registered Member

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

We don't specifically disallow linking to other forums. But, the linking needs to be relevant, on-topic to both the thread it's posted in and this forum's overall purpose, and also not excessive. As stapp mentioned above, a good example would be a link to the avast forum in a thread in which someone is asking a question and the avast forum link provides a good answer. However, repeated linking to another forum, in reply after reply here, would definitely get reviewed as possible spamming. (People sometimes start their own forum and then go overboard linking people to it in order to get increased activity and drive membership joins. If someone does that here, we let them know that it's not welcome.)

What would be considered spamming can vary by context and other factors. An obvious spamming would be something like: A new member joins and their first post is "Hey everyone, come join my cool new car discussion forum at -this link-." That's an automatic ban for obvious off-topic spamming. That person isn't interested in being a contributing member here. They just want to advertise their forum. There's obviously more subtle linking then that, so we review it all on case by case basis. "Excessive linking" spam is sometimes one of those "you know it when you see it" things.

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Not a bad principle that. :)
    Wish a few more people would be prepared to act with that in mind.
    Not specifically referring to wilders.... just in general.

13. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Re. the original post content. Intolerable !

Take it as a compliment in being banned by such a stupid and childish Forum, tell that Moderator to go take a a hike, I hope you know me well enough to have a guess what I would have said. I would inversely turn the tables and BAN them.

Dump the Forum, it sounds like a playground for adolescent dumb-bells.

When I quote Wilders on any Forum, I do it with pride in a Forum that is far ahead of any I have visited so far and if some obnoxious cretin objects to it, they will be met with a typical John Bull reply and that is not good news at the best of times.

Being banned for mentioning Wilders in their hallowed halls sounds akin to saying "bum" in church, I would regard it in the same way as being awarded The Medal of Honor.

John Bull

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  14. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I think the moderation at Wilders should be a model of success that other forums less successful can use as a map for their benefiet.
    Moderation is directly responsible for the success of a forum whether it is being done as a business or a hobby.
    I would guess that many forums are not successful because of the methods of moderation and are just an extension of junior high politics.

I feel it is my responsibility to salvage the relationship to a forum if I felt I was being treated unfairly.
    It also helps in categorizing the value of the administration and their motivations towards us as individuals.
    we all want a sense of belonging, and is why some of us join forums, but in the absence of concern for it's members, even ones who stumble, speaks of the character of those in charge.
    If after some attempts they are still not reasonable, I would then move on.

All hail Woosuf!

15. sliverine

sliverine Registered Member

I'm a brand new user here. I found Wilder's due to a link from another mainstream forum while discussing problems with the "powerdesk pro 8" software package. I was a great program in the days of windows 98 that had been passed on to new owners.

I was very pleased to read this thread and see that the owner/organizers maintained a common sense standard rather than rigid and inflexible rules. Taking an example from another forum in which I am a member, if you are in doubt as to the propriety of linking to another forum you can provide what you believe is necessary external information with disabled links like hxxp:/microsoft.com. The reader can then make it live by replaceing the xx with tt without the live link being in the forum. Another method is to provide a link to a google search that generates the referal sites.

I am a member of many forums and have been participating for over 15 years. I have a set of shortcuts I run through to check out all my forums on a daily; weekly; or monthly basis. Some forum software will reach out to the member when certain topics come up. I would be nice if there was some really sophisticated "forum organization" software that could help a user manage a large number of forums + the information they contained.

16. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Wilderssecurity is the top-edge forum in the world for security discussions, in my opinion. I will never ever refrain to link to Wilders, even if it would get me banned. It is here you get the most relevant and reliant information about security software and security issues.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

And Help if one needs that:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.