BD and defrag ??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It is it is recommended that the Virus Shield of BitDefender be disabled before running a defrag.

I am on DSL, so if I do not have a browser on line does the fact that the BD Virus shield is disabled increase the risk of a virus or other malware infecting my computer during that defrag?

Is that advice also good for other AVs during defrag?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, every AV's resident shield should be disabled before running a hard disk defrag or else the defrag will become painfully slow.

If your on DSL, your out of luck, all I can recommend is - either keep the shield running, or have a good firewall running :)

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i run nod with diskeeper pro 9 with no signs of any problems at all. runs super fast no slowdown whatsoever here

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Using a good firewall (I use LnS) and with no browser on line how does malware get in? It would seem to the me that behind the hardware and software firewalls the AV would not be doing anything anyway with no browser working.

Clansman on my other thread said, "the only thing u should be careful is that dont run scandisk/defragmentor and other utilities like that while the onaccess scanner is active .there is a chance of data corruption.so make sure to disable the virus shield while u run these programs..this is a known issue with bitdef and u can find details about it it in the read me file.."

I did not find it in the help file, but it would be an important thing if data corruption is a problem.

Thanks for the responses.
    Jerry

5. Firecat

Well viruses spread

1)Via EMail
    2)Surfing of sites where files are dropped onto the PC
    3)A huge network outbreak where it uses a port to access your PC similar to hackers - In this case a Firewall protects you.

Therefore, if while defragmenting, you keep BD disabled with no surfing of Net of looking at email then I dont see any method of infection ;)

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not true in all cases. NOD32 causes no slowdown. F-Prot causes PerfectDisk to load slowly, but after that, no problem.

7. Firecat

Oh....Thanks for pointing that out to me :)

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks All for the replies.
    Spanner, That is no doubt the safest way. I have been reluctant to disconnect the phone line, but am not sure why. The only time I did it, the modum just took a couple of minutes to get back to normal.

Jerry

9. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

What I do when I defrag is simply boot to safe mode, then do a defrag from there. If I have the time and inclination, I might also do a scan with an AV, AT, and/or AS while in safe mode.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I use Bit Defender free as my only AV currently. It doesn't have a real time monitor. I haven't gotten any viruses because I don't use a real time monitor. Just practice safe hex at all times and you won't need to worry about whether or not you can safely turn off the real time monitor while defragging and still use the internet during that time.

I never go into safe mode if I can avoid it and I have never run a defrag there. I don't kill any applications when defragging and I continue surfing while defragging. I use the XP built in defragger and only need to do it about once every two months.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Mele20,
    Thanks. I find the XP defrag doesn't take a lot of time, and not nearly as long as W98 did. I usually defrag weekly for no particularly good reason, just what I have done.

Jerry

12. gyl

gyl Guest

The only av which askes you to disable defrag is kaspersky.Bit defender or avast no problem with o&o defrag

13. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

jerry ,to find the read me txt about the issue of deffragging-
    click start,programs,bitdefender 8,readme -u can see about the deffraging issue in this read me file under the section "Known compatibility issues when using "

it is not mentioned in the help file i believe ,i didnt see it there either.it is mentioned in the readme text file that i mentioned above.it gets displayed after u install bitdefender automatically.u either missed it.

also u can see the above readme file inthe bitdefender installation directory
    its under the BITDEF\_enHTML\directory.if u cant find that by the startmenu method,search the installation directory as i mentioned above for a readme.txt file .open it and read..

this is the quote from the readme file-

"Known compatibility issues when using :
    ---------------------------------------
    - Norton Clean Sweep
    - ScanDisk
    - Disk Defragmenter - and any similar utility applications
    - Nero Imagedrive - and other similar applications (only on Windows 9x)

Disable the Virus Shield while using the programs listed above to avoid data loss and/or system instability."

so bitdef indeed does have an issue here unlike gyl suggested..

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Clansman,
    Thanks, I found it with your help. That confirms what the tech told me, and you posted. From noe on I will do so, altrhough I have not had a problem that I recognized.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.