Bazooka Scanner Finally Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Tarq57, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

after about 104 days. I was thinking support had been withdrawn!

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I´ve replaced Bazooka with this

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

No way that I would wait that long for an update!
    It's basically "dead weight" on your computer.:thumbd:

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Re lucas1985's link:

OK. Being a non-Spanish speaker doesn't appear to make much difference with this application. It appears to have very limited configure options: on/off. The information presented when activated is extremely scanty, but it appears to only scan two folders in two alternating seperate scans, which take 10sec.(Common files/microsoft shared, and Downloaded installations.) It installs it's installer from a self extracting zip file, which then places two icons on the desktop; the executable which runs the scanner, and a web link to the home page, and creates its own folder in C:\, and an entry in the start menu.Since turning it on or off from the start menu made no difference to how it functioned, it made me consider the possibility it also has some background or resident capability. If that is the case, it's somewhat limited, being unable to detect an Eicar test.There is no update facility:detections apparently change with subsequent versions. Being stand-alone, there is no entry for it in add/remove programs.
    Does anyone have any more info on it's operation or effectiveness?

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The Tester, agree. Dead weight. 1.65Mb. I can live with that.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I forgot i had that crap. Uninstall was as fast as the scan:D . Scanning never found anything. Did it find files to delete?

7. lucas1985

Hi :)
    A Jotti scan of the executable(not the installer which gives the same result)
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/830/screenmg4.th.png
    Dr. Web always gives a FP
    The program is relative popular here in Argentina. As you have noted, the translation work isn´t flawless
    You have the option to turn on/off the scanning at Windows´ startup and launch an on-demand scan, nothing more. There isn´t any background protection.
    The concept is similar to Bazooka´s approach: fast scanning of known malware places and zero disk trashing
    The update is manual, download the upgrade(actualización) file, which is another SFX zip and run it.
    The newest version have incorporated automated cleaning. Older versions only gave reports and removal´s instructions
    The effectiveness is variable. When top AVs hadn´t adware/spyware signatures in their databases, Troyan Explore used to find certain infections. Now the report is always clean. I use it after other on-demand scanners such as Ewido(AVG), A-Squared, Spy Bot in heavily infected machines to find traces of malware
    Hope this helps you
    My English is poor, I know ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Unfortunately I don't have Dr.Web, so don't know if Troyan Explorer returns the "favour".
    pretty sure it's not infected, though. I put it through a battery of scanners b4 installing it.

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yeah, once for me. Located vestiges of a program called "winupdate" (or maybe "winupdates")
    It doesn't delete what it finds, but refers you to a web page with comprehensive removal instructions, which worked.

Since it only scans = no clean engine, that's one obvious reason the scan is so fast.
    Just another, albeit tiny, layer of detection. None of my existing scanners had spotted that one.
    And I like the sound it makes.:cool: Almost as cool as Winpatrol.*puppy*

10. lucas1985

True, a fast on-demand scanner is always nice to have
    I wonder that you have understood me :D
    My English is improving over time

11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Your English? Lots better than my Spanish! You are from Argentina then. Do you know exactly how the trojan explorer is supposed to work?

12. lucas1985

I only know what I´ve already told you :(
    Usually it finds orphan DLLs and registry entries after cleaning infected machines with the popular scanners(Ad-aware and Spy Bot S&D)
    Also reports some FPs in PCs with certain P2P installed like Ares

13. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Ok, thanks for that. Nothing wrong with your English at all.

14. lucas1985

Would be a good idea if any skilled user put Troyan Explore under rigorous test in PCs full of crap. The challenge is open :D
    English is easy to read, more difficult to write and sometimes very hard to speak and hear

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Bazooka Scanner has a very small definition database of nasty hard-to-remove malwares, about 600 the last time I used it, years ago.
    It detects malwares, but doesn't remove them. Users have to remove them manually based on instructions from the website.
    I'm quite surprised that people are still using it. Updating a scanner after 104 days, isn't really a plus for a scanner nowadays.
    Well it's freeware, fast and it won't hurt your computer. :)

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I just want to add that when i said crap, i didn't mean to say it actually is. Sorry if i offended the developers in some way. Not that they care to what i say lol. It's freeware and if it finds something for you then it's good.
    Just refering to all the "crap" i have/had. Too much on demand. Start menu gets a jungle look:thumbd:
    It's the tester inside me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.