Batteries Question

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Jimbob1989, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I'm trying to find why batteries leak, does anyone know? I am doing my electronics project at school and this question came up when thinking through the design of my case.

Jimbob

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

GOOGLE Jim!.......G-O-O-G-L-E!!......Try it, you'll love it.....it knows stuff and everything.....trust me.....Just ask it about batteries OR EVEN SOMETHING ELSE THAT COMES INTO YOUR MIND and WHOOOOOOSH!! it'll Battery you to death....it's Magic.....and the best part is you don't have to wait for your Post to be answered.....try it.....you'll love it....

Cochise, :cool:

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The acid in the batteries calcifies and expands causing the batteries to split or rupture a seal and leak calcified acid.

bigc

5. Jimbob1989

Might get somewhere Cochise if you act as well as bigc. Thanks bigc.

Jimbob

6. Griogair

Griogair Registered Member

wot calcium compounds are there in the metal/alkalis in batterieso_O

7. Primrose

But you are not going to get anywhere with that answer. In fact, there is no such thing as calcified acid, but it is true If a battery leaks you can neutralize any spilled acid with baking soda or calcium carbonate (lime).

You did not specify what kind, type or use of this battery question and there are many.

Here are just a few..

BATTERIES - Antimony, Calcium, or Gel
    Several variations of the Lead -Acid battery are used today. Variations to the battery plate material and electrolyte solution provide different battery characteristics. Construction is basically the same; however, the materials used are slightly different.

1. Lead Antimony ( Most commonly used ).
    Is commonly used in conventional lead acid battery which uses lead antimony cell plates.

Advantages:
    1. Longer service life than Calcium batteries.
    2. Easier to recharge when completely discharged.
    3. Lower cost.

2. Lead Calcium ( AC Delco maintenance free batteries ).
    Is a maintenance free lead acid battery which uses lead calcium cell plates.

Advantages:
    1. Larger electrolyte reserve area above the plates.
    2. Higher Cold Cranking Amp ratings.
    3. Little or No maintenance.

3. Recombination (Gel Cell) ( Optima batteries and some others ).
    Is a completely sealed lead acid battery which uses an electrolyte that is a gel (solid) rather than a liquid.

Advantages:
    1. No liquid electrolyte to spill or leak.
    2. Can be Deep Cycled several time without damage.
    3. Totally corrosion and maintenance free.
    4. Three to four times longer battery life than regular batteries.
    5. More plate surface and closer plate spacing provides a compact case size.

but most batteries that do still leak happen this way..

I assume you mean the common Zinc [Zn] - Carbon batteries, sometimes called the LeClanche cell. This contains the following major components: a Zn metal can, which is the anode, in the can is a mix of Manganese Dioxide [MnO2], Carbon Black, Ammonium Chloride, and water [this is the electrolyte]. Upright in the middle of this mix is the cathode which is a porous Carbon rod, with a metal cap. On the inner surface of the Zn can, the metal is oxidized. Zn = Zn [+2] + 2e [2 electrons] At the carbon cathode, MnO2 + H2O + e = MnO[OH] = OH- When the battery is used, these electrons leave the Zn metal, travel through the external circuit [flashlight bulb and wires for example], and enter the carbon electrode. When the battery is not in use, other reactions can also happen. Zn is an active metal and will slowly react with the water and ammonium chloride. That is, it corrodes to form Zn chloride and/or Zn hydroxide and some hydrogen gas is liberated. If this gas cannot leave the can through the porous carbon cathode, this will generate pressure and the can will swell. When the Zn corrodes it becomes thinner and finally it is perforated. Some of the liquid electrolyte will leak out, adsorb water from the air and the Zn will corrode rapidly. This is a simple explanation of this common problem. If you need more details, find a good book on basic electrochemistry.

but that is still the effect and not the cause.. and explains how
    a certian type of battery leaks.

The question why batteries leak ? still has not been answered.. :)

8. Griogair

Griogair Registered Member

heehee...thats all the stuff on electro-chemical series a did the other year in higher chem! lol

9. Jimbob1989

9V Battery shown below.

I am doing an electronics project at school and was thinking of having a seperate compartment for the battery in the event of a leak and I wondered what caused a leak.

Jimbob

Attached Files:

10. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Believe it or not, Boiling water will clean Terminals corroded by battery leakage or acid.......obviously under the right circumstances....(Not a Joke, Honest)....Off subject I know....very few Batteries actually 'leak' normally, usually they tend to leak if left in contact after full discharge....

11. Primrose

We use coke (coca-cola) on those termimal... try it sometime ;)

12. Primrose

DURACELL PLUS, ALKALINE 9V

Alkaline batteries are best suited to high rate, continuous drain uses such as flashlights, radios, toys and electronic equipment. Their mercury content is about 1% by weight, newer low mercury alkaline batteries contain only 0.025% mercury. Alkaline batteries come in cylindrical, rectangular and also button sizes for cameras, computers and other devices.

Carbon-zinc batteries are used in a similar application as the alkaline batteries but mainly for intermittent use and light to medium drain conditions. They also contain about 1% mercury but the new 'green' batteries are completely free of mercury. They come in cylindrical and rectangular sizes.

Composition*
    (1% or greater)%
    Formula:MixtureManganese Dioxide (1313-13-9)35-40Molecular Weight:NAZinc (7440-66-6)10-25Synonyms:Alkaline Manganese Dioxide BatteriesPotassium Hydroxide (35%) (1310-58-3)Graphite, natural (7782-42-5) or synthetic(7440-44-0)5-101-5MN1300

This will tell you all about that battery

http://www.duracell.com/oem/safety/pdf/2002_8.pdf

13. bigc73542

I take it you know nothing about lead acid batteries? Calcifacation is what causes them to go bad unless you have a plate bracket break and it shorts out. I still stand with my original answer.

Attached Files:

14. Primrose

Well you be very wrong there bigc..in fact have designed a few of those and there is no calcified acid and for sure there is no acid calcification that expands causing the case of a lead acid storage battery to leak..now a battery can get sulfated since Sulfuric acid is used for the Battery acid. And a sulfated cell is possible.
    The lead acid battery should never be left to set in the discharged condition or sulfation will result. The sulfuric acid in the electrolyte reacts with the sponge lead active material and forms lead sulfate. It is a poor conductor. This coupled with the H2O left after you take all the S out of H2SO4 is also a poor conductor so trying to charge requires a lot of voltage to push the current through required to convert the active material back to the charged state. Sometimes they just cannot be brought back from the sulfated state.

It is only those guys trying to sell you fancy products that want to talk about calcification

http://www.aiaproducts.com/battery.html

Unfortunately....

Calcification is a process in which the mineral calcium builds up. There is no calcium in a lead acid storage battery...but there is a process called Sulfation.

15. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

16. bigc73542

I hear that:eek: :D ;)

17. dog

dog Guest

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Real men use rocks so why don't all you wimpies "shut-ya-mouth" eh?? :ninja:

19. Jimbob1989

:D The only reason BigBuck needs so much power is to produce this:

Jimbob

Attached Files:

20. bigbuck

21. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Considering the fact that JBs Electronics Project only entails figuring out how to make a bulb light up using a battery and two wires......I think you have given him overload information which may cause the whole project to fail.....by the way, whats wrong with getting a 'Leak Test' at one of the Firewall Forums??.......job done......my work here is finished.... :D

22. bigbuck

Yeah.....you're probably right there! Hey JB what about ditching the batteries and making a telephone instead?
    http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/pictures/photos2go_images/communication/469370.jpg

Or how about the ol' favourite papier-maché volcano.....that one is always a hit!
    http://www.polson.k12.mt.us/cherry/teachers/duford/duford/old_duford/earth/earth10.jpeg
    I just love science!!
    Buck :D :D :D

23. Primrose

http://www.itequila.org/

Real men use rocks, lemon and Tequila . :D And before they leak make sure the calcifed worm at the bottom of the bottle does not expand with an all nighter with Jimmy Buffet.

http://margaritaville.com/

*puppy* "A little hair of the dog that bit ya" :eek: :p

Attached Files:

24. Primrose

Attached Files:

25. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

When nuclear leaks, it can cause a deadly disaster. :eek: Nuclear has radioactive waste and energy. Hmmm... how about a nuclear battery? New invention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.