Bastard child of SpyEye/ZeuS merger appears online

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by LoneWolf, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Well we see Sandboxie has managed 64bit support. Now Comodo has too. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it fairly soon.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I dont see a sandbox as a solution. the sandbox can still be infected. not all programs will work inside the sandbox and people wont remember to use the sandbox all the time.

example 1. a user visits an infected website. the user forgets to clean out the sandbox before visiting their bank website and the malware steals their banking details. the user then clears out the sandbox and gets rid of any evidence they was infected and have no idea their bank details got stolen.

example 2. a user visits an infected website and the malware breaks out of the sandbox.

the only way an average user will know if they are infected by stealth malware is by a scanner.

last time i used sandboxie on 64bit windows not even basic programs would work under it.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Restrictions (internet acess & start/run) is the answer.

What I said above, and their other security measures + OS.

Examples please.

Or by analyzing system behaviour through process/startup managers, etc.

When was that, and wth what software? I don`t have such experiences, except with restrictions and other settings.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

When i tryed sandboxie on 64bit windows i had kaspersky internet security version 9 i think at the time. i didnt use any extra restrictions. i tryed using firefox,notepad,games and some other software. all the programs i tryed running under sandboxie 64bit crashed. it was the first version that worked under 64bit i tryed so maybe the issues have been solved by now but tbh i dont need a sandbox anyway.

plus remember i said antivirus software is the only way the average user will find out they have stealth malware.

al the average user cares about is being able to play games,chat with their friends,buy stuff online etc. anything that gets in their way they will disable. if a restriction stops them from installing a program they will ask for it to be removed.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

This is true. However, ideally, they would be able to install their program... just not to the real system.

I do like that Comodo cloud scans unknown files though. But sandboxie sandboxes better.

6. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

It'll happen. Tzuk was a bit quicker to accept the inevitable with Sandboxie and now 64bit users can benefit from SBIE. Ilya will hopefully do the same soon -he's given indications that he's looking at what's required. Defensewall is a massively impressive piece of software and has shown itself to be immune to the evils of Zeus and Spyeye in the MRG tests. Fingers crossed we see a 64 bit version soon, even if it does have some limitations versus 32bit.

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

8. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Works the same way in Brazil. However it's still a problem, becuase it takes time to prove you didn't withdraw all your money and so. Also, to make sure you won't let this happen again, they make sure you get headaches having to call them 20 times and etc :p

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Microsoft brings the fight to SpyEye

A standalone download of MSRT is here

10. siljaline

11. siljaline

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.