Basic Tor question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by overland, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katio

katio Guest

That's correct. It's a "design document" and doesn't go into the technical details. If you want to know more about those:
    https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation.html.en#DesignDoc

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Here is a presentation about tor vulnerabilities from 2008, given by Roger, the lead dev of tor project:

Slides | Video (62 minutes)

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have a question. If a person fired up the Tor browser bundle while connected to Xerobank, would he be somewhat safer than with Tor alone? Tell me if I am thinking about this correctly.

(1). If I run a Tor browser through Xerobank and Java or javascript or whatever is able to find my IP behind Tor, what they would actually see is Xerobank's IP. Is this correct?

Here is how I arrive at that: I did an experiment a long time ago with that link that was able to expose your true IP while using Tor. http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/scripts/ip_unmasker.php It worked! So I decided to see what would happen if I tried the same experiment while connected to Xerobank. It busted Tor and saw Xerobank as being my true IP. I use to have an Iphantom and so I tried it with that too. And it busted Tor and showed Iphantom's IP. So it would seem that Tor could only, at best, be traced back to the VPN. But of course what happens between Xerbank's exit node and Tor is a mystery. Is my thinking correct on this?

(2). Sometimes if I am on a message board or in a discussion group, I may want to change my IP. For instance, I belong to some groups where I have created some pretty close friendships. But sometimes I may want to express an unpopular point of view and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or cause any personal friction. So to me it seems that just firing up the preconfigured Tor Browser would be the easiest solution. But now I see a poster above has mentioned using Ixquick to change IP's. Do you have any suggestions as far as creating a temporary IP address while connected to Xerobank?

4. caspian

5. caspian

From what I understand, what Steve has said is that a single hop VPN could be busted by a domestic adversary. They would be able to step back and see all of the connections, from beginning to end. However, with a multiphop, multi-jurisdictional VPN like Xerobank, a domestic adversary would simply not have access. Plus, Xerobank has incorporated some additional techniques like multiplexing, crowding etc. that ordinary VPN's do not use. I don't understand how you cannot see that there is a difference.

6. caspian

I am truly excited about Safehouse. It would be TRULY amazing if I could have all of that and download with it too. Is that hoping for too much?

7. caspian

I tried ixquick and it's cool but you cannot login to a message board or an email or anything. That other link throws up a big warning sign in Firefox. I wish you could use ixquick to login to a message board.

8. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I had a good time reading the whole thread. :D

I use TOR with my browser sandboxed to view videos not available in my country.

9. RoamMaster

RoamMaster Registered Member

Just use a web proxy. I highly doubt this message board has some specialized proxy busting scripts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.